Can You Spot My Garden Visitor

Yes Katyjay,

I have got a beautiful close up in "photobucket" but I can't work out how to get it on here. The fox couldn't have been very old. It was a really healthy looking animal, not a care in the world.

He or she was so relaxed, we wanted to slide the door open but even though it was watching us we didn't want to risk losing the moment.

Commo and Fynger were close! You must have some interesting wild life in your areas.

Sorry the photo is too small to show the natural beauty of the fox.

Wasn't over 'Natural beauty' of the fox around here as it attacked our cat....made a right mess of his belly/chest......do wonder tho what the fox's face looks like now.( he's a big cat ).

Sorry to hear that Fynger. Like all wild animals , they have to fight for survival and have also got the cruel streak in them. I can fully understand how you feel. I am sorry you and your pet have had to experience that cruel side.

Coyotes are a problem round here, and really, they were here before the homes were built, so can't fault them. But, they are bold, several times they've got hold of a small dog, while it's being walked and on a leash! One time a coyote took a small dog completely, the owner tried to fight it off, but couldn't win.

Not an onion gone to seed, though it does look like one. I thought you would suss me as a fibber straight away so i will come clean and admit what it really is.

"You know those fake purple plasticy round ball hanging thingies, well it's one of those. We hang it at the front of the house in between seasonal real flowering hanging baskets." This years Basket is still looking fairly decent, though there is only greenery left so we have left it up. We are very frugal and can always find a use for things, so when the purple thingy fell off it's chain we shoved it on a stick and planted it at an appropriate distance up the garden path Lol.

Wallah.....One Purple Thingy Tree. Just hoping we don't get A One Eyed, One Horned, Flying Purple People Eater fly by and decide to make a nest in it.

slywink

• Upvote 1

We don't have a garden as such with living on the edge of a forest, only a grassed unfenced area we call a garden, because of the deer and wild boar that can turn it into something looking like the first day of the Somme overnight. You can buy fencing and netting to keep them out, but after a few months they break through

That sounds wonderful, I don't expect to see the Wild boar but we visit a part of Cannock Chase every week on what we call our "Deer Hunting Expedition" and never fail to see them. Until last year we could expect to see numerous Stags as well as Does but there has been a cull and a lot have disappeared now. The houses around" The Chase" have to put up with the same kind of garden problems as you. We have often seen the Deer in the gardens, sometimes they seem quite used to human beings and another time very timid. For us townies it is a treat to see them. But then again we don't have them roaming in our gardens.

• Upvote 1

Here in Nottingham we only now get neighbourhood cats and a lovely variety of garden birds. We used to see quite a few foxes but think the two harsh winter must have killed them off. Even the takeaway remnants dropped by possibly the younger generation because I do think us oldies were brought up not to drop litter, are still there on the pavements for days, a couple of years that rubbish would have been eaten overnight by foxes.

However, when we lived in rural Hertfordshire a few years ago, we had all sorts to see in the garden. Foxes, squirrels, deer and even a pair of wallabies! I honestly thought my husband had gone totally mad when he told me he'd seen a wallaby hop across the lawn while I was out shopping one day. Next day I saw it and then a few days later I spotted two in the field next to us. Got a photo to prove it !!

• Upvote 2

Much as I like nature and wildlife, we've been overrun by foxes and grey squirrels in recent years - and our house is only 9 miles from the centre of the nations capital.

I've got 2 fruit trees in my garden that no longer produce anything because the grey squirrels get there first and the foxes roam in and out of our gardens as soon as it gets dark so we have to keep locks on the bins.

I've noticed that hedgehogs don't appear anymore (they used to be loads of them years ago) and as a result we get massive slugs and snails now.

I'd love to have deers visiting, they seem really nice - but I'm not a fan of all urban wildlife.