Is the only way of finding Births, Marriages and Deaths prior to 1837 by parish records? I see that there is nothing available on Free BMD or Findmypast before that date

Yes, as civil registration in the UK didn't start until then.

Lots of parish registers online, though, if you can afford the prices charged to look at them.

Although www.familysearch.org is a useful tool to start with, and that's free.

Bear in mind that it was generally Christenings rather than births that were recorded because parish records are church-based events. I have some families that seemed to wait until there were three or four children and then get them all Christened on the same day (do you suppose it was chargeable with a bulk discount?)

If you are searching local events, the library (Angel Row) and the archives (down by the canal) both have microfiche records that you can view (and print if necessary).

Familysearch is the IGI (International Genealogy Index) compiled by Mormons and free to use. It's a useful starting point but if you find anything there, it's best to cross reference with the original parish records if possible.

Last time I checked, you could also access Ancestry for free at County libraries and Findmypast at City libraries. Take a memory stick with you if you want to download images.