old christian names

#12 Michael, there was a girl at school where I was cook a few years ago whose name was Florence and was called Flo, and her sister was Tilly, short for Matilda, lots of the older names are making a comeback now.

My grandma was Doris Ada, and my granddad was Harry Walter

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Daughter registered the baby today,..Seth..Benjamin,...which takes the name Benjamin back thru....me,Dad,Grandad,Great Grandad and Great Great Grandad,...................to 1870s,................Great

My brother George was born on St George's day, my other brother Andrew was born on St Andrews day. I'm just glad I wasn't born on pancake day.

1995 would not have been a good year for you either Kath! WTFi Alice?

With Aragorn, Arathorn and Arwen it sounds like someone was keen on 'Lord of the Rings' - maybe the book rather than the films if they're that old.

your so right my niece was a big lord of the rings fan and yes they were all born beforethe filmcame outbut they have a niece called arwen toowho is now 10 years old

my dad always used to talk about his aunt alice after looking up my fammily tree i discovered he actually had two aunt alices both his mum and his dad had sisters called allice.

hi carni

i have a couple of friends with little girls called rubyand know of a few more from when i was working with kids lots of the the old names are comming back one of my great great nieces aged 18 months is called ava grace, one of my other great great nieces is geogie we also have a blake among the youngest generationof our family dave and i have25 great nieces and nephews between usand some old names among them .

My great aunts names (from the 1890's) were Kitty, Evelyn, Ida, Hilda, Ethel , May and Wibby (Wibby being what she called herself because she couldn't pronounce Sybil, and it stuck)

The great uncles names were much more down to earth, there were two Tom's, a John, an Arthur and a Charlie, (some of my aunts remained spinsters).

I had a Great Great Grandfather named Theophilus. He had a job that you wouldn't think of these days as they are no more. He worked for the gas company. He was a public lamplighter.

• Upvote 1

My old supervisor on the railway in the early 80s had a strange middle name. I have no idea how to spell it but it was pronounced

AL-OO-ISH-US.

The first Rueben is in my family in the mid 1800s,( Unless I discover more) I found him whilst researching someone else. I have just been searching for him again, but i didn't add him to my tree at the time and now I have lost him for a while! The other one is my cousin who was born a few years before me, both Reubens are on the paternal side. Another example of names being passed down the generations.

• 1 year later...

Daughter registered the baby today,..Seth..Benjamin,...which takes the name Benjamin back thru....me,Dad,Grandad,Great Grandad and Great Great Grandad,...................to 1870s,................Great intit. :)

• Upvote 6

My two grandsons are Josh and Sam.

• Upvote 1