old christian names

Jud Florence Daisy Nathanial. Thought i would start this because every time a baby is born the name books appear and the silly modern names are used thought some really old names might appear and get used sorry if there is anything the same on this site.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Daughter registered the baby today,..Seth..Benjamin,...which takes the name Benjamin back thru....me,Dad,Grandad,Great Grandad and Great Great Grandad,...................to 1870s,................Great

My brother George was born on St George's day, my other brother Andrew was born on St Andrews day. I'm just glad I wasn't born on pancake day.

1995 would not have been a good year for you either Kath! WTFi Alice?

My paternal grandmother's grandmother and great-aunt (are you following this carefully?!) were twin sisters, with the names Kezia and Jemima - two of the names of Job's daughters in the Bible (Job 42, 14). One of their elder brothers was Zebedee (another biblical name) Jessop - the name behind the shop.

• Upvote 1

Grandma was a Clementina .

She called her first daughter Clementina too , next daughter was Wilhelmina.......then seemed to run out of long names and went for Eva, Mary and Amy !

And another - my grandmother's name (mum's mum) was Dearcy (pronounced Darcy). She hated it and was always called by her middle name, May. She apparently shared Dearcy with an aunt, who liked it no better - by the time of her second marriage, (her first husband died quite young) she had decided she preferred Daisy, and that it what appears on the certificate. As for Aunt Dearcy/Daisy's birth certificate - she doesn't ever seem to have had one. As far as I can discover her birth was never registered - and I think the reason for that is that her father was a deserter from the army, and thereafter discouraged all family association with officialdom that might reveal his whereabouts.

My mums name was Sissie.

Folk often thought it was short for Cecelia but it wasn't.That was the actual spelling.

I've never come across that name since then.

Baz :ninja:

Believe or not, I have a student named Fanny, she is 10 years old. In Taiwan old English names are popular.

Girls - Doris, Mabel, Clara, Daisy, Kitty (Usually call her Hello Kitty) Edna, Alice, Marge. Dolly, Rita, Milly, Hope, Audrey, Lydia, Betty, Ruby. Ivy, Mini

Boys - Algie, Billy, Jack, Ben, Ron, Eddy,

Most boys names tend to be quite normal.

But if you want some crazy names here are a few.

Boys - Brown, Ocean, Superman, Jonah, Banana, Fish, Sausage (How would you like this name Ding Dong).

Girls - Apple, Peach, Rhema, Flower, Sunny, Candy.

How about this name - Wee-Wee, Here it is spelt Wea Wea She was in one of my classes, I had a problem using the name, Most of the time I would just use You.

When I first heard it I laughed. I thought she was joking until another girl told me it was her English name.

There are many more that do not come to mind at the moment, Maybe I cam add to the list later.

• Upvote 1

Another diminutive of Elizabeth is Betty.

My mum was Betty, and that was on her birth certificate; she never was - and never had been - Elizabeth.

Yes, as the years go by the diminutive names have largely become names in their own right.

A female Ancestor of my Husbands had the name Queenie.

My Grandmas' middle name was White.

I have an ancestor called Sammi in the mid 1800s

We also have a Nevaeh which is Heaven backwards, but that is a more modern name,

One of our onsetters at Clifton was named Silas, his son was a chock fitter and nicknamed "young Silas"