There used too be quite a few photo's on here about the co op but photobucket put paid to them, Cliff ton will be along soon he'll have some pics for you, welcome to the forum by the way,pleased to have you here

Rog

• Like 1
  • Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There exists a truly horrific photo of me in my balaclava and NHS glasses, with my late sister in her NHS glasses, being rather too closely hugged by a very iffy looking Co-op Santa. I've done all I

The Elizabethan Rooms have some good memories for me also, carni. This is a post that I put on the thread where the photo came from. I'd also love to see some photos of the ballroom because it was wh

i was a floorwalker at coop house during the 90s and have wonderful memories of it especially the staff and some offenders,in particular one old lady in her 70s who stole ladies coats at £40 a time,on

As plantfit mentioned, there are several older threads on the subject. Photos might have disappeared, but the memories are still there, although I've never come across any photos of the staircase.

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/12038-co-op-parliament-street/?

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/4267-what-was-your-co-op-divi-number/?

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/15416-vanished-shops/?

I remember as a child going in a lift at the Co-op for the first time up to one of the floors. It was a Christmas Party for the children of R Cripps & Co employees.

Must have been fairly young as I wouldn't get out when it stopped and the doors had opened. I had to be semi forced to step outside and go and join the other children.

The same thing happened when the party had finished, I didn't want to leave!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I remember the marble? stairs very wide and the highly polished brass handrail, the lift doors were  a kind of bronze colour I think and opened and closed very quietly and the lift operated very smoothly,  and they had a smartly dressed man who operated the lifts, this was a very posh store to my young eyes and there was a certain smell about the place,not unpleasant,sort of reassuring type of smell,I also remember how quiet the place was,not church like quiet but a sort of muffled quiet that could have been the furnishing absorbing sounds,I remember my grandparents holding their golden wedding anniversary party there right in the very top of the building a very grand room with highly polished floor (I think wooden) must have been in the very early sixties, and about this time of the year going to see Santa,I think that might have been organised by the British Legion where my grandparents were members of the Queens drive branch, this would have been after the Christmas panto at the Theatre Royal again organised by the Legion,all these memories coming back to me some 60 years after the fact because VickiLou posted that question,thanks VickiLou for waking up my grey cells

Rog

• Like 1

The building basically still exists, now housing various restaurants and clubs etc. I've never been in any of them and I don't know anyone who has, but I assume if you go into the right part of it today, you'd be able to see if the art deco staircase is still there.

03Xj3y3.jpg

• Like 1

We bought my wedding ring from the co-op must have looked in the window for a days because I couldn't make up my mind, think the reason we went to the co-op was it was the only jewellery window  lit up at night.

It certainly is a lovely building,worked there i the 90s as store detective/floor walker.

It had a special atmosphere as Rog said, altogether a special place,wwith great staff, actually was the lift attendant for one day, as you may know i thoroughly enjoyed it, 

Morning ladies, first floor glass and china,3rd floor ladies underwear,and dont forget your divi top floor, lol

Truly great days

• 5 weeks later...

On FB, someone has posted quite a few photos of the inside of the Co-op on the last day it was open. Quite a few of the staircase, the lifts, where Santa's grotto was etc. This is on Nottingham Way Back When thread. 

Thanks Margie, thought i might know who it was........but i don't............loved my time at Coop house some lovely people.....we (security) had an office down some steps at the back on Wollaton street.........great times............think it was Boris the tramp'' who i used to wake up in the loading bay many mornings.......gave him a fag to see him on his way, God bless him.......

Ben, I should have said that the photos were 'courtesy of' Ron Disney Photography, which no doubt means that whoever runs 'Nottingham Way Back When'  lifted the photos from RDP's website!

As a child, after my ballet lesson on a Saturday morning, I'd usually visit the Coop with my mother. I always insisted on entering via the revolving doors which annoyed mum because I'd just keep going round!

Loved that staircase. It always made me think of the Fred and Ginger  routines and I'd imagine myself tap dancing down it! I do hope it's still there!

• 4 weeks later...

Two memories of the Parliament St Coop (apart from just shopping there):

1. When I was quite small being taken by my granny to the restaurant on the top floor and having herring roes on toast. I had no idea what herring roes were but I can still remember how much I enjoyed them.

2. A wedding of two work colleagues, and close friends, in the Elizabethan Ballroom - which, if you recall, was quite large. The room seemed to be full of guests and I found it hard to believe that they knew so many people. It turned out that there were three separate wedding parties sharing. Apparently, there was a substantial discount for over a certain number of covers and this sharing happened quite often. Never heard of that before or since.

Just thinking about the co-op.  It was the first place I ever went on a lift in my life.  I remember my grandma took me.  I must have been about five.  I didn't like it.  The floor pushing up under my feet, and I think I must have been claustrophobic.  I didn't like being locked in that small space by metal doors.

Ah, that's because Ben, the lift attendant, wasn't there to entertain you, Loppy,...or, more importantly, to entertain your gran! 

Speaking of our wonderful Ben, he's been AWOL for 3 weeks. Has he gone to Australia or perhaps been kidnapped by a rich widow? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1