Hi,

I worked at GNCS upper parliament street between around 1977 to 1986. I worked on the Toy dept on the top floor at the time when Kathy Hemsley and Carolyn Ellis who then became Carolyn Fox worked on the record dept. Jill was on photography, there was Joan Elliot and Joyce on toys and Glenis Taylor. Kevin, Adam, Pam and Betty on sports and another dark haired lady who's name I can't remember at the moment. Two lovely friendly lady assistants in the ladies loo also on the same floor and Mick Copeland was manager at the time but that changed to Ted perfect then Mrs Procter. Wonder what they are all doing now.

Shame it went downhill, it is a lovely building. It was a fun happy time working there, it was a bit like are you being served I have to admit. We will never get those times and kinds of shops again, it would be lovely if the shop could be revived back to its former glory.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There exists a truly horrific photo of me in my balaclava and NHS glasses, with my late sister in her NHS glasses, being rather too closely hugged by a very iffy looking Co-op Santa. I've done all I

The Elizabethan Rooms have some good memories for me also, carni. This is a post that I put on the thread where the photo came from. I'd also love to see some photos of the ballroom because it was wh

i was a floorwalker at coop house during the 90s and have wonderful memories of it especially the staff and some offenders,in particular one old lady in her 70s who stole ladies coats at £40 a time,on

• 3 weeks later...

I'd also love to see some photos of the ballroom because it was where I first met my wife. It was a Nottingham City Transport Christmas party and my future wife went with a lady friend of her parents. The lady was supposed to go with her husband but he couldn't make it so rather than waste the tickets she took my wife. I wasn't too fussed about going but my brother Archie wanted to go. I'd been in an accident a week or so prior to the party and was still full of aches and pains. As we walked in I spotted my future wife walking along the balcony. I won't say how I felt, because everyone will be reaching for the sick bags, but my Dad got fed up of me talking about her and went over to her and got me a dance. We stayed together at the party and I took her home and we've been together ever since and had a fantastic life together. If the ladies husband had gone to the dance instead of my wife, if I hadn't gone because of my accident, if my Dad hadn't got me a dance without me knowing. It was all down to fate that night.

• Upvote 3

No bu99er ter blame then Michael.....................it really sounds like the gods were looking over you both that fateful night, & sending cupid to sort it!!

• Upvote 1

My sister Jackie worked for the GNCS upper parliament street and in broadmarsh, from the 1980's untill they both closed, she worked in Accounting & Finance, her office was in the round tower on the same floor as the furniture department.

The old GNCS upper parliament street was a great shop, and I remember it well

• 4 weeks later...

As a Co-op electrician I used to work a Saturday at Co-p House every 5th week on standby duties during the 70s and 80s, so I knew the place inside out. During that period and of course the decades before it was always very busy. At Christmas the store would be full to bursting with customers making maintenance extremely difficult. It was a great store and the staff were like one big family. My brother was manager of the Bank and his wife Sally worked in the Chemists department. I still occasionally see Ted Perfect also. The images from Ged Ling are great and go to show what a great store it was.

Welcome Co-op lad, ayer gorra bike wiyah baskitontfruntonit? me mams divi number were 105989, but yo probly new that already..........................

• Upvote 1

Help!

I've got some nice pictures of Nottingham Co-Op including the Elizabethan restaurant/ballroom from a 1963 book called Co-operation in Nottingham by F W Leeman but I don't know how to paste them onto this site.

Someone please explain what I have to do.

CroppedCo-op1.jpg

Success!

Thanks Cliff Ton

I'll scan some more from the book very soon.

My dad used to take my mum, sister and I here for SDaturday lunch when Notts County were playing at home.

Afterwards my mum and sister went off shopping and dad and I used to walk down Arkwright St to Meadow Lane.

The thing I remember most in the restaurant were the crinkle cut chips served in oval silver bowls and the balls of ice-cream in round silver bowls

• Upvote 1

What a great picture of the Elizabethan Rooms. At Christmas time Santa's Grotto was Located on the balcony area which surrounds the main floor. The Grotto was famous throughout the area for the animated displays and the queues to see Santa were enormous. The Co-op House Display Department started work on the Grotto in late September due to the amount of work required and of course our electrical maintenance guys were always involved.

Just looking at the photo of Co-op House jogged my memory. If you look at the roof and the NCS sign the room under that used to house the equipment that supplied the vacuum to the tubes that ran to each department so that payments could be sent to a central point and receipts and change sent back to the customer. At Co-op House Long Eaton this equipment was in the basement I believe, as I only came across remnants of it.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Simple answer...rubbish management.Other supermarkets are desperately seeking new sites but not the Co-op!

A name change might be the first move...their reputation as the poor mans supermarket hasn't helped.Unfortunately not the poor mans as in cheaper prices.They have the buying power,but like Woolworths don't stock the lines at the price like the other supermarkets.They need a Lord Sugar or Branson type to bring them into the 21st century.

Give me a store rent and rate free and I'd have to be a moron not to make it pay...IF the public can be convinced that the lines and choices are competitive.