• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There exists a truly horrific photo of me in my balaclava and NHS glasses, with my late sister in her NHS glasses, being rather too closely hugged by a very iffy looking Co-op Santa. I've done all I

The Elizabethan Rooms have some good memories for me also, carni. This is a post that I put on the thread where the photo came from. I'd also love to see some photos of the ballroom because it was wh

i was a floorwalker at coop house during the 90s and have wonderful memories of it especially the staff and some offenders,in particular one old lady in her 70s who stole ladies coats at £40 a time,on

Michael,

The picture above of the Elizabethan Restaurant brought back memories of the early sixties for me. My sister was training there to be a 'Silver Service Waitress' and attending Clarendon College. I was in my last year at School and managed to get a 'Saturday job' in the Restaurant. Looking at the lay out of the tables, my area was where the tables closest to the camera were situated. I am afraid I didn't stay long, it wasn't for me, I was so nervous, every thing had to be spot on, the cutlery and glasses and crockery had to be exactly positioned, I was so shy i could hardly speak to the customers. But to be a customer there was a special treat. Mind you I did get some good tips, better than my wages most times.

• Upvote 2

The Elizabethan Rooms have some good memories for me also, carni. This is a post that I put on the thread where the photo came from.

I'd also love to see some photos of the ballroom because it was where I first met my wife. It was a Nottingham City Transport Christmas party and my future wife went with a lady friend of her parents. The lady was supposed to go with her husband but he couldn't make it so rather than waste the tickets she took my wife. I wasn't too fussed about going but my brother Archie wanted to go. I'd been in an accident a week or so prior to the party and was still full of aches and pains. As we walked in I spotted my future wife walking along the balcony. I won't say how I felt, because everyone will be reaching for the sick bags, but my Dad got fed up of me talking about her and went over to her and got me a dance. We stayed together at the party and I took her home and we've been together ever since and had a fantastic life together. If the ladies husband had gone to the dance instead of my wife, if I hadn't gone because of my accident, if my Dad hadn't got me a dance without me knowing. It was all down to fate that night.

• Upvote 7
  • 1 month later...

i was a floorwalker at coop house during the 90s and have wonderful memories of it especially the staff and some offenders,in particular one old lady in her 70s who stole ladies coats at £40 a time,one day i saw her take a coat and exit the store,didnt enjoy stopping old ladies but couldnt just let her take it.anyway she was most indignant at me stopping her and under protest returned into the store with me,she wouldnt cooperate with me,refused to open her bag or give me her name.i even made her a cup of tea while trying to placate her,she was having none of it and in the end i had to call the Bill,.a PC duly arrived,i told him just want the coat back and we ban her job done. He told her just give us your details love and you can be on your way! the conversation then went, PC name luv, OLD LADY fanny, PC thats better Fanny,surname? old lady bygaslight, PC YOURE peeing me off now,one more chance, old lady, ok, PC RIGHT IST NAME,? OLD LADY, it is fanny, PC OK surname? old lady, ADAMS! SHE WAS PROMPTLY ARRESTED BLESS HER, :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: LOVED HER!

• Upvote 4

As not very well off newly-weds we had our wedding reception on the top floor of the Co-op in 1968 (was it the Elizabethan Rooms?". It was a Saturday afternoon and the store was thronged. I remember having to go to the toilets (in the right-hand corner as you got out of the lifts) with my wedding suit on and a carnation in my buttonhole and hearing a young lass say to her mate. "ooh, look at 'im. Y'd think 'e were goowin' to a bleddy weddin'!"

I didn't have the nerve to tell her!

Sorry! me again! Ah'm all ovver the place t'nite! Now I've read the other 7 pages (!) - they're brilliant. So many things I'd forgotten, the one-armed guy on the lift, the record department (3 singles for £1 and a LP for 17/6), the Christmas grotto.

Funnily enough, like fch782c that staircase used to terrify me. I thought you could fall through the black mirrors. I used to have nightmares about them!

Looking at the photos, it really does look like a very nice store.

PC name luv, OLD LADY fanny, PC thats better Fanny,surname? old lady bygaslight, PC YOURE peeing me off now,one more chance, old lady, ok, PC RIGHT IST NAME,? OLD LADY, it is fanny, PC OK surname? old lady, ADAMS!

Bless!

Bet she was 'sweet' :)

Just heard the news COOP GROUP lost 2 billion pound last trading year,serves em right ,bring back the floorwalkers :biggrin:

Just heard the news COOP GROUP lost 2 billion pound last trading year

....which is surprising considering that everything in their food departments is more expensive than any other store. If Sainsbury/Tesco/Asda can make a profit by selling things cheaper than the Co-op, how useless are they?

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I am currently undertaking my Masters degree in interior design and have chosen this building for my major project! I only have a few memories of this interior so these images have really helped! I have always been amazed by the architecture of the old co-op building and hope to incoprate key features of what it once was in to my new scheme (currently thinking luxury hotel & restaurant). This is all hypothetical, but it is a project I am really passionate about. I am currently trying to locate the floor plans to the building so if any one has them or no someone who has that would be a great help! Also if there is any key features you feel I have to incorporate then please let me know!

HI BENJAMIN,from one benjamin to another you need to contact mr TED PERFECT, He is mr coop in nottm. he is/was leader of the coop council and knows all there is to know about the ncs,i worked for them at coop house in the 90s,Ted is a real gent and if he can help you he will.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Didn't realise that Vicki fashions wasn't always there. Baker&plumb are there. D&P were too expensive, so all my uniforms were from the co-op. The stamp books were worth 40p..8bob!!I used to save them up and buy the odd album or two

New co-op supermarket been built on the site of the flying bedstead pub, hucknall. There's also one half a mile up the road and one on the road out of hucknall. We are swamped by co-ops now.

• 2 months later...

Only skim read this thread. So.. Is the building still there? Is the famous staircase still there? If not has it been preserved somewhere? I loved that place. Used to spend hours in the record store. Had a girlfriend who worked in there in the 60s. There was an alley to the right of the building when viewed from the front. At the top on the right was a typical old Nottm Pub. can't remember what it was called though. Anybody know? I went past years ago and they'd renamed it with one of those daft new names.

Slightly off topic. When I was very small, I remember my Mum dragging me around Nottm centre. I'm probably thinking around 1951-1954. We went in on the 28 and Trinity Church was still standing in Trinity Square. Anyway.. somewhere, there was a shop.. possibly a jewellers?, which had a mechanical clock over the door or over the shop frony which had figures hitting a bell with hammers. I remember thinking it was all very black and dirty. Could have been somewhere like Long Row, Clumber St, Pelham St... that sort of area. Anybody any ideas?

Col