• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There exists a truly horrific photo of me in my balaclava and NHS glasses, with my late sister in her NHS glasses, being rather too closely hugged by a very iffy looking Co-op Santa. I've done all I

The Elizabethan Rooms have some good memories for me also, carni. This is a post that I put on the thread where the photo came from. I'd also love to see some photos of the ballroom because it was wh

i was a floorwalker at coop house during the 90s and have wonderful memories of it especially the staff and some offenders,in particular one old lady in her 70s who stole ladies coats at £40 a time,on

The soft roes were a bit sloppy, but the juice soaked into the toast beautifully. Lovely with plenty of pepper sprinkled on. 

• 8 months later...
On 2/21/2018 at 10:59 PM, katyjay said:

Jonab, I remember soft roes on toast, used to love them, but there was also hard roes if I remember rightly, didn't like them, quite 'bitty'.

On 2/21/2018 at 11:01 PM, FLY2 said:

The soft roes were a bit sloppy, but the juice soaked into the toast beautifully. Lovely with plenty of pepper sprinkled on. 

I believe that the soft roe is fish sperm and he hard roe is fish eggs.  Never fancied either!!

My dad used to like soft herring roe on toast - until I told him what it was. He was eating said toast at the time. Never seen projectile vomiting before that.

I'm still partial to herring roe on toast but it's not easy to get down here although other roe products are available - like that abominable tarama salata.

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the Elizabethan rooms at the co-op, I had my wedding reception there back in september,1965. Beautiful venue and a great meal, ( a proper dinner, not this buffet rubbish !). The only downer was walking from the taxi and through the store to the lifts, although we did get some admiring looks. I was a bus driver at the time and booked a bus for for our guests with no transport. It was suggested I drove the bus and my new wife on the back in her wedding dress as a publicity stunt. Didn't want to miss my ride in a wedding car though. Barrie.

• Upvote 1

Hi Marji, did you reply to my Elizabethan rooms info? If you have I don't know how to find it. Bale me out sweetheart ! Barrie..

Barrie, I didn't reply, I only gave you a   'like' for  the post about your wedding day - that was because I chuckled at the thought of you all walking through the shop floor to get to the Elizabethan Rooms.  In 1966 when We got married, our venue was a lot less posh... it was the Grey Goose in Gedling and we had a buffet!!!

• Like 1

I was old enough to know what I was doing Phil, and several of my friends got married much younger than 23.  I knew I'd met the person I wanted to spend the rest of my life with, so what was the point of waiting...

I'd had lots of boyfriends before I met Paul, so I knew what I was looking for in a lifelong partner (and  had worked out what I WASN'T looking for as well!)

By the time I was 36, we had 3 children (12, 10 and 9)

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, MargieH said:

Barrie, I didn't reply, I only gave you a   'like' for  the post about your wedding day - that was because I chuckled at the thought of you all walking through the shop floor to get to the Elizabethan Rooms.  In 1966 when We got married, our venue was a lot less posh... it was the Grey Goose in Gedling and we had a buffet!!!

We had ours down the road from the Muckie Duck.  Memorial hall.  corner of Arnold Lane  and Gedling rd.  1965.  Ours was catered by that fine eating establishment  The Corner House Caff.  in Netherfield.   Actually they did a great job.  I doubt they are still there now.

• Like 1

It took me a long while to find the right one but it was fun finding out! At least we're still together which is more than be said for some of my friends who married younger. You were one of the lucky ones! We did have a long engagement but didn't live together until we were married as people do nowadays. So many weddings now where the children are bridesmaids or pageboys. We even had a church wedding primarily because the registry office at Newark was such a dour place!  

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, loppylugs said:

We had ours down the road from the Muckie Duck.  Memorial hall.  corner of Arnold Lane  and Gedling rd.  1965.  Ours was catered by that fine eating establishment  The Corner House Caff.  in Netherfield.   Actually they did a great job.  I doubt they are still there now.

The Corner House Cafe is long gone but I drove past the Memorial Hall this very afternoon!

• Like 1

Didn't know of them,  but of course I did know, and had great respect for, your father in law, Bob McCandles, who was the senior science master at Mellish and taught me all I know, and still remember about physics which served me well when I moved from accountancy to manufacturing industry. He was an inspiring man.

• Like 1

I'm glad you liked him Phil.  Bob was one of the nicest guys I've ever met.  He and his wife, Mary treated me like the son they never had.  I spent more time at their house when I was courting Janet than I spent in my own.  The only time he had words with me was when I bent the licence plate on his car.  It scraped the kirb and I never thought to look at it.  Just put the car away.  I think he thought I was just trying to hide it.

It rubbed off on Janet too.  Very rarely did  we have words,  but if we did I knew when to shurrup. She could hit you with devastating logic without even raising her voice.  I loved her dearly.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, MargieH said:

Thanks for getting back to me Margie. This is my problem, I don't know if folks have replied or whatever, I see xxxx has reacted to or xxxx has posted. I don't know yet what it all means or how to find etc.. Sorry I'm being dim. Kindest regards, Barrie.

Barrie, when you see that you have a notification - it will be either the little bell or the envelope - just click on it.  It will then  take you to the post that someone has liked or open up a private message from someone.  I'll send you a private message now so you can open it and reply to me, then you'll see how it works

• Like 1