Australian Bushfires.

I saw an article in the news this morning which stated that the Authorities have issued emergency warnings as bushfires rage out of control in South Australia. I'd just like to send my best wishes to our Nottstalgia friends who live in Australia and hope that they remain safe and well if they live near these bushfires.

Thanks for your concern Michael and Littlebro. I am in WA (ex Nottingham since 1967). 52 houses in Stoneville about 20kms from me were lost a little while ago in a massive bush-fire. But 3 years ago we had a similar fire in Roleystone,very close to me, and at my 70th birthday barbecue we had smuts and hot embers dropping on us. A friend of mine lost absolutely everything when her house went up in flames some years ago. It is something she will never forget. A lot of houses here are built of wood and are also surrounded by trees. Very good for shade in our hot Summers but not so good when a fire goes through.

• Upvote 1

My eldest granddaughter is flying back to Sydney today after spending Christmas and New Year visiting friends and relatives in England. Hope she's OK at her home in North Bondi.

My eldest granddaughter is flying back to Sydney today after spending Christmas and New Year visiting friends and relatives in England. Hope she's OK at her home in North Bondi.

She'll be ok basfordred.There is nothing much to burn at North Bondi.

Baz :ninja:

basfordred, when we first moved out here in 1964, we lived in a 2 bedroom flat at 154 Ramsgate Avenue at North Bondi for 12 months(the top flat at the rear where the units back onto Brighton Boulevard). The connecting street ran alongside the block between Ramsgate and Brighton and was at least 45 degrees steep. Cars parked on the slope on three separate occasions whilst we lived there ran down the steep hill of their own accord after a while if their owners had only relied on their handbrakes to hold them.....5-10 minutes after parking, the weight of the car would overcome the holding capacity of the handbrake and away it would go.

Some years ago, they turn the road into a parkland due to the dangerous nature of the hill. If it was wet, cars slid across Ramsgate Avenue at the bottom after trying to stop going down and if driving up in wet weather, wheel spin was the norm. It was steep! Check out the Google view from Brighton Boulevard. That was our flat on the top floor.

As Bazza said, nothing up there to burn....all concrete and brick.

She'll be right, mate.

• Upvote 1

South Australia, Western Australia, Victoria and on the New South Wales/Victoria border - Sydney has nothing to speak of but Bazza can answer that question when he comes on line.

No fires at present in the Sydney area hippo girl.The nearest are at Wagga Wagga,300+ Kims.From us.

Your daughter is probably just down town enjoying herself.

Maybe not,it's started raining. :-)

Baz :ninja: