#24 & 25.

No, not Carsley on Woodbridge (don't know where she lived). The surname I can't remember was the Woodbridge one ( I think).

Yep, Grenville Norris it was.

He was quite a nice chap if you knew him.

Smiffy

Yes he was (probably still is), but he was a year older than me & all I knew was that he was a boxer & Georgina's boyfriend at the time, '64/'65-ish?

If you are a member of Friends Reunited, there's a photo of Georgina Taylor and Diane Carsley (and many others). Go to the Greencroft Primary page, click on 'Photos' and look at photo number 20 out of 33 (also titled Miss Parry's class 1958).

Sorry I should have said I was in touch a few years ago having checked my old messages it was 2007. Christ where does the time go!

If you were in the same class as Georgina is there any chance you knew my old mates Geoff Seymour or Alan Hewitt

#30 & 31 - the photo would be the end of year 1957-58 (July). So I'm not on it as I started Sept 58. But that's our Georgy! And Alan Hewitt, Geoff Seymour are also there. Raymond Johnson (3rd row) was their age & a mate of mine in later years. They were all a year older than most of us & must have jumped up a year after this pic was taken, because they weren't in my class (with most of those on the photo) at the start of 58-59 year.

I think it all depended on what time of the year your birthday was, you could finish up a whole year behind when moving on to Fairham.

The only other person I have been in touch with from those years at Greencroft was a girl named Gail Rhodes. I knew quite a few from there even though I was at Brooksby Lane.

I think it all depended on what time of the year your birthday was, you could finish up a whole year behind when moving on to Fairham.

The only other person I have been in touch with from those years at Greencroft was a girl named Gail Rhodes. I knew quite a few from there even though I was at Brooksby Lane.

Can you remember Dave Prentice at Brooksby?

That's how I remembered him, played against him when I was at Greencroft and with him at Fairham. Something in my memory tells me he left the area but not sure if that's just my brain getting old :)

• 1 month later...

I can remember Geoff Seymour and Alan Hewitt (vaguely). And I remember Gail Rhodes. Pretty, used to do tap dancing and lived somewhere off Brinkhill Crescent (The Maypole?)

Your memory serves you well !!! all the people mentioned lived on Maypole as well as someone else you remembered from Clifton Hall Diane Fitton, She lived dead opposite Gail. Alan's family emigrated to Australia in the sixties, I heard from him over the first couple of years but nothing since then. Geoff I was in touch with untill the early eighties when we were both bringing up young families.

Hi again. Been away for a few weeks - mention of Maypole brings to mind the Pyketts, first house on left as you turned down from Shelley Avenue. Peter was in my class at Fairham the first couple of years & he had an older brother (David?). Another mate of mine, Paul Woodward, lived in the first house on the left as you turned off Brinkhill Crescent onto Shelley Avenue & the Johnsons/Warburtons lived first house on the left on Woodbridge Avenue as you turned off Brinkhill - some sort of pattern there! We all (those named plus the Ginns from Brinkhill) used to play football on the green where Shelley Ave & Maypole met at the bottom & Geoff Seymour & his mates used to come along & break it up - they had a thing about the Ginns for some reason.

Thinking about it - what a wierd name for a road on a council estate - Maypole (no "The" or other add-on). Similarly Rivergreen & Greencroft. Must be Clifton Village connotations.

Reading that is almost like reading a bit of my own history. We were on Woodbridge, but I'm a few years behind most of the names you mentioned.

There was also a Pamela Pykett, I think the same age as me. The only other name I remember from Maypole was Linda Manchester (and a sister).

And on Shelly Avenue you are venturing into Melissa's dad's territory.

Walked past that green on Maypole/Shelly thousands of times, either to go to the shops or to get the bus into town.

• Upvote 1

Hi again. Been away for a few weeks - mention of Maypole brings to mind the Pyketts, first house on left as you turned down from Shelley Avenue. Peter was in my class at Fairham the first couple of years & he had an older brother (David?). Another mate of mine, Paul Woodward, lived in the first house on the left as you turned off Brinkhill Crescent onto Shelley Avenue & the Johnsons/Warburtons lived first house on the left on Woodbridge Avenue as you turned off Brinkhill - some sort of pattern there! We all (those named plus the Ginns from Brinkhill) used to play football on the green where Shelley Ave & Maypole met at the bottom & Geoff Seymour & his mates used to come along & break it up - they had a thing about the Ginns for some reason.

Thinking about it - what a wierd name for a road on a council estate - Maypole (no "The" or other add-on). Similarly Rivergreen & Greencroft. Must be Clifton Village connotations.

If you are going back to football on the green days then I think Geoff's mates might have been Ted and Pete Richardson who lived just off the green, you didn't mess with them!!!.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks MGR #42 and sorry for the delay in responding. You're right, one of them WAS Pete Richardson. Maybe I'm mixing him up with another "Pete" but did he go on to sing on the Working Mens Club circuit?

• 2 months later...

I remember Ted Richardson - very tough chap and often in fights. I believe he also gave a 'seeing to' to some youths who had the temerity to break into George Parker's shop. Definitely not someone to mess with!

Thats right VWGolf Ted and Pete were brothers Ted being the oldest, sometimes they worked as a team which was not good news for their victim.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...