Unusual Road Names

fcee49f8-823b-42e0-8ac3-faacec373f96.png

We had a little car ride in the country the other day and I saw these road signs within a mile from home and I thought they might amuse you! Have any of you Nottstalgians got any unusual road names near where you live?

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is an interesting road sign in Port Augusta South Australia 300 km (186miles) north of Adelaide Perth is 2,388 km (1483 miles) and Darwin is 2,723km (1692miles) From Nottingham this distance

How about this one from Wollaston.

That bush needs a bit of a trim.

Posted Images

Whilst holidaying in North Yorkshire several years ago, I encountered the villages of Booze and Crackpot, and in Scotland, there is a village called Twatt. Very amusing.

• Upvote 1

in Scotland, there is a village called Twatt. Very amusing.

Drinking in a nearby hostelry could be a risky business, if addressing the local heavy one asks..."Where do you come from,Twatt?"

It's not easy to point out the comma and question mark in everyday conversation. :biggrin:

• Upvote 2

Carni (#1), there is a Cat and Fiddle Lane in West Hallam, Derbyshire.

It goes past the Cat & Fiddle Windmill!

• Upvote 1

A few odd ones in Cornwall . In St. Ives :

Virgin Street
Salubrious Terrace
Court Cocking
Teetotal street
In St Agnes there's a road called Stippy Stappy and in Truro there's this one :

squeeze_guts.jpg

There is a village called Dull in Perthshire, and up near Durham there is No Place.

What amuses me is on the way through Norfolk down the A138 (I think) there are lots of road signs pointing down most roads for quite a stretch to Byway. Any foreign visitors must be left wondering where it is and why they never reach it!

0fdeb7f1-91e9-4b00-b307-63dce025a6e4.jpg

Limey (#9), I found this info regarding the windmill which I found interesting.

The mill was built in 1788 and is a wooden post mill. This means that it has a stone roundhouse beneath a wooden box-like structure containing the machinery. The box rotated on a wooden post and had to be turned by hand by the miller so that the sails were correctly positioned to catch the wind. It is the only surviving post mill in Derbyshire and has recently undergone extensive renovation but remains in private ownership and is not open to the general public.
Windmill can be seen from miles around and from the A6096 between Derby and Ilkeston.
The mill is in good order. Date of Manufacture: 01/01/1788
spacer.gif
Purpose: Milling
spacer.gif
Open to the public: no
spacer.gif
Is This Windmill Functional?: Yes!

Do yo know the area Michael? Dale Abbey was a favorite bike ride as a young lad!

There was a photograph in one of the daily papers last year of a road sign with arrows pointing in opposite directions. One was to Ham and the other to Sandwich.

Ewe Lamb Lane in Bramcote where I was born has got to be up there!

Somewhat off thread but close enough. Does any one know why , and how, Lambley Dumbles became so named. My children love it but always ask what it means, and I cannot explain.

Lambley is famous for its ‘dumbles.’ A dumble being a local name for a shallow dale with a stream. D.H. Lawrence is reputed to have enjoyed walking the Lambley Dumbles. Googled this for you, i hope it helps.

• Like 1