Unusual Road Names

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is an interesting road sign in Port Augusta South Australia 300 km (186miles) north of Adelaide Perth is 2,388 km (1483 miles) and Darwin is 2,723km (1692miles) From Nottingham this distance

How about this one from Wollaston.

That bush needs a bit of a trim.

Posted Images

Steep Hill.

Leading up to Lincoln Cathedral. It certainly lives up to its name.

hi carni

is that the road with the stonebow archway over the pedestrian area

#54 fch782c,

I have just tried to go up Steep Hill on "Google Maps", but I haven't been very successful, so I don't know about the "archway". All I know is we had to sit on a bench halfway up, kindly put there by the Council for the people who just can't make the journey in one go. The category we fit in to! All I remember is it is a good hill with lots of little shops to ease the pain.

The archway is to the east side of the cathedral, at the top of Steep hill it opens out to a bit of a square with the castle to the left and the cathedral to the right, as Carni say's lots of little shops plus plenty of tea rooms, but you pay a price in those

Rog

hi carni

is that the road with the stonebow archway over the pedestrian area

You go through the Stonebow at the top end of the pedestrianised High Street, further up through the shopping area, then you come to the really steep part which is Steep Hill.

Actually, Lincolnshire is only flat in parts. The Wolds, the Edge and the Heath are all quite hilly, and constitute a fair proportion of the county. When we lived in Billinghay I used to travel to Europe on business from time to time, and often flew from Humberside Airport. The so-called Caister High Road runs from just north of Horncastle, and it was an absolutely glorious run early on a sunny Summer morning going for the 6.30 Amsterdam flight. Sorry - I'm a bit off topic!

Carni, yes I've walked up Steep hill a few times, last time was with a mate, (I was showing him the sights of Lincoln) just for a laugh I layed in the road half way up for him to take a picture of me looking exhausted, an American tourist saw me do this and asked if he could use this "pose" for himself, I said no problem and he promptly layed in the road for his wife to take his picture, I'll post my pic when I find it, (I seem to post a few pics of myself laying down in the roads another on was the "pavement cycle" if you remember) must be an age thing

Rog

• Upvote 1

Plantfit,

Yes I do remember your "pavement cycle" picture and I know it will still be as funny if I see it again. We have walked up Steep Hill a couple of times and I can't think of another one to compare it to. I look forward to your next photograph, it sounds comical. We could start a new thread of people laying down in strange places. But then again! some of us might struggle to get back up again. It does seem as though Steep Hill has quite a reputation. We will have to keep our eyes open for a "Steeper one". You have probably seen a few when you are out on your adventures.

Drury Hill was pretty steep, I think Middle hill and Garners hill were steep but I think they had steps, don't know if the steps were a later edition though

Rog

Steep hill, there's one to the left of Harlech castle (North Wales) looking from the bottom of the hill at one in two and a half, nearly finished me off walking up that

Rog

http://www.clovelly.co.uk/visiting-clovelly

Has anybody ever been to Clovely in north Devon? The walk down to the little fishing port is very steep although the view is definatley worth it. Somebody has since told me the land owner has now stopped people from going down without paying a entrance fee.

Thanks for that commo it must be 25 years since I was last there, my youngest would take fruit and carrots for the horses and donkeys in the field to the left as you walk down the hill. There use to be an old tractor and seated trailer they used to ferry the elderly back to the top