Unusual Road Names

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is an interesting road sign in Port Augusta South Australia 300 km (186miles) north of Adelaide Perth is 2,388 km (1483 miles) and Darwin is 2,723km (1692miles) From Nottingham this distance

How about this one from Wollaston.

That bush needs a bit of a trim.

Posted Images

Twentypence Road runs for about 6 miles joining two villages near us.  The road crosses the Old West River and, a long time ago, there used to be a charge for the crossing.  One idea that has been put forward is that a return journey from one village to the other would have cost 20d for two carts, their horses and Wagoners. 

• 3 weeks later...

Not a place name but an unusual sign any way,special for Jill

P1050549_zpsqfofx0iw.jpg

Seen on one of me trike rides last weekend

Rog

• Upvote 1

A Wynd is a narrow street, and is originally a Scottish word.

Therefore Hal O' The Wynd, the Robert Louis Stevenson character lived in a narrow street or entry. 

About post 114 - I had a car breakdown on the unclassified road between the villages of Co-operative Villas and No Place in County Durham. When I phoned the RAC call centre (down south) the operator asked me if I could be more precise than saying I was in no place.....

• 4 months later...

Carni,you could use your bus pass to get to Lincoln,no car park fee and regular bus service to Skeggy,assuming you have one of course,I use mine to get to Newark and Lincoln and theres no time limit on them like there is most other places,ie: you can use it in Lincoln before 09.30

Rog

Here's another one of me laying down again,this time on me pavement cycle,couldn't spell the name of the path because it was in Wales between Dollgelleu and Abermaw (Barmouth)

Wales_2011_010.jpg

Rog

• Like 2

I remember your pavement picture well, we had quite a laugh because I had always wanted to have one taken. I have ended up in that position a few times after falling off my cycle skidding on muddy towpaths, no photos though.

I carry our bus passes around in my bag all the time and forget to use them, it's a shame really because you both get chance to sight see. Chris drove to Lincoln and I drove back. I hate that road between Skeggy and Lincoln and would have been a lot more comfortable if we had gone on the bus.

Talking about Dollgelleu, I had the most frightening experience of my life there. I have written about it before 'i think'. Returning home, we got lost and ended up on the side of a mountain (Precipice Walk) comes to mind, before we knew it we were on a narrow two way road  and our side being on the drop off side. Coming towards us was a 4by4, no turning back. As the two vehicles inched passed each other, I was frozen in fear, looking out of my side it was a shear drop and I couldn't see any road at all. I have never gotten over it.:shout:

• 5 weeks later...

Saw a sign on the A1 in Northumberland the other day that should have read "Shilbottle" but some wag had crossed the "l" making it read "Shitbottle"