Unusual Road Names

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is an interesting road sign in Port Augusta South Australia 300 km (186miles) north of Adelaide Perth is 2,388 km (1483 miles) and Darwin is 2,723km (1692miles) From Nottingham this distance

How about this one from Wollaston.

That bush needs a bit of a trim.

Posted Images

went to clovelly a few years back lovely little village when i came to get in the backof landrover and it was extra to come back up in it when i was there, i could not climb in the back so sat in the front with the driverhe was a very nice young man.

Not a street name but a town in Pennsylvania. Groundhog Day was Feb 2, and Punxsutawney Phil came out of his hole to see his shadow. The town was Gobblers Knob.

• 1 month later...

Recent trips to Shrewsbury (we are in the process of moving to Shropshire) reveal Mardol Head and Shoplatch as street names there. On the way back on Sunday evening I came along the Stone to Uttoxeter road, and noticed a road called Spon Drumble Lane.

• 2 weeks later...

a few ive seen lately

barrow bread lane bleasby

dimple rd

dimple cresent

narrow eye lane

stuburn edge lane all in derbyshire

Oh well, I've lived a sheltered life!

In Matlock, we did once see a combination of car park signs that gave us a laugh:

A sign pointing to "Ladies Toilets" and underneath "Have you paid & displayed"!

Interesting topic and the names of some of our lanes and alleys have been sanitised somewhat over the last 100 years or so.

One common alley/lane name was in vogue in the red light districts in early Elizabethan ages and clearly indicated the area was used back then for prostitution. Some reports advise that Queen Elizabeth 1 was displeased with the name and sought to ban it throughout the land. Even Nottingham had a lane so named.

What was the word?

Well, providing you only enter the site if you are not offended by such language, Google Grope Alley or Lane and then get the full history via various threads on Grope**** Lane! While on that thread, click on 'Images' and see a couple more unusual place names from our medieval times.

Not an unusual name in its day but try and get a location named that in this day and age....fat chance! isitsafe

Not a road name but this might count. Back in the 70's we used to drink in the Lord Clyde at Kimberley where there were two separate bakelite signs on the back door of the pub one over the other, the signs read;

Way out

Gent's toilets

Which always did raise a smile :-)

Here are a few from a book I have about Britain.

Fanny Hands Lane - Market Rasen, Lincs

Grope Lane - Shrewsbury

Hog's Turd Lane - Pirton - Herts

Ogle Close - Merseyside

Slag Lane - Haydock - St Helens

Smellies Lane - Dundee

Spanker Lane - Nether Heage - Derbys

Winkle Street - Southampton

Here are two candidates from Kirwall in the Orkney Isles:

St Olaf's Wynd

Buttqouy Place