I'm off topic and have only spent a few days in the city in the mid 60's, but I was married there, in July 66, at the Central Methodist Hall (?). My wife was Dorothy Newton of Cedar Rd Sherwood Rise, her dad, Billy, a postman there for all his working life, her mother, Lizzie, a housewife. I don't recall the name of her primary school, but she attended Manning afterwards. I also know that before she left Nottingham in 63 she worked as secretary to a group of plastic surgeons in the city and walked through the Arboretum to work. She was also a Methodist Sunday School teacher.

Not a lot, is it? But it's more than she knows about it, or even about me, because she has Alzheimer's and is now in permanent care - since the10th of this month. One characteristic of this disease is that patients can sometimes make links to the distant past while having no ability to recall recent events, even those occurring seconds ago.

And that's why I'm here.

I'm hoping that someone might remember her, or some incident in which she was involved, even, perhaps, have photographs from their childhood, in which she featured (she was born in 1933). I'm also hoping for pointers to where I might quickly find pictues of the Nottinham of her youth.

That's it, I'm afraid. I'm not giving anything to the forum and, apart from thanking anyone who helps, will probably never be back, but I will be eternally grateful for every morsel of information.

Oh that is so sad Hatrick, I'm sorry for you and of course your wife. There is one member who has posted hilarious stories about Manning School, although she hasn't been on Nottstalgia for a while. Her pen-name is Jill Sparrow, I'm sure there's a way of looking up specific posts by her, someone will be on shortly to tell you how. Also other folk will tell you how to get old photos up from a website called Picture the Past. Sorry, I'm not very good at giving links.

I wish you both well and hope that your visit to Nottstalgia will prove useful.

Tracked down Jill Sparrow's posts -thanks LizzieM. Entertaining stuff. Jill was too young to have known Dorothy but some of the teachers' names may ring a bell.

Thanks for the link DavidW. I've got a week before I see her again so I may be able to compile a suitable DVD which she might enjoy looking at.

The Boys' Brigade has been mentioned in better days so that could prove useful NewBasfordlad. I'll try Jimmy King as well, maybe even find a photo of him somewhere.

Another source of photos of old Notts are on the Nottingham facebook site , though you may have to be on Facebook to view . Click on photos and then timeline :

https://m.facebook.com/pages/Nottingham/372586256090980?id=372586256090980&_rdr

First, thanks for the extra snippets. The Facebook site is tempting for its possible content, but the thought of all those 'friends' makes my flesh creep. But if I have no luck elsewhere (Flickr looks promising) I may cast my reluctant body into the breach.

I've managed to dredge up a few extra facts which may jog a memory or two. Dorothy attended and taught at Mansfield Rd Baptist Chapel with Janet Selby and Pat Carter, (who, too, remembers the self flushing thunderboxes at Berridge Rd school). Also, Dorothy's next door neighbours in Cedar Rd. (she lived at no: 51) were called Melia, Ted and their son, Clive, who still, I believe, works on the railway. Melia was still alive, and kicking very hard, a few months ago, although in her nineties. Ted, I think, held non-pc views, but was a wonderful neighbour to Lizzie after Billy died..

Hi Hatrick,

I can presume you mean Mansfield Road Baptist Church, junction of Sherwood Rise and Gregory Boulevard. That's where the Boys Brigade were based so she may have some recall. I was there myself late 50s early 60s but not as a church member just the BB.

The BB met 2 nights a week for drill, PE and classes in wayfaring, first aid and such.

If she taught there she may well recall the baptism services where they lifted the church floor in front of the alter to reveal a large pool. The minister would stand in there and the people to be baptised would come one at a time to be totally immersed.

hat trick i live two rd down from ceder rd i could take a few picks of the st now houses still the same just the people living in them have ghanged if that might help jog your wifes memoriesdo you know if she lived at the top end or the bottom endas the rd is split by berridge rdif you know the no i could take a pickof the actual house

my mum had alzimers for the last few year of her life so i know these things sometimes help.

thanks lizzie i might have missed that bit i see if the weathers decent tomorrow and nipout on my schooter and see if i can cet a few pics .

A couple more bits that may just jog a memory.

To big events happened in the 50s.

1955 the queen and duke visited Nottingham and there was a large children's rally on the forest with displays, dancing etc watched by the royal couple and thousands of others. It was so close to where she lived it she may well have gone there and remember.

1959 Nottm Forest won the FA cup. There was a parade in an open topped bus which came along Gregory Blvd. Again watched by thousands but the people associated with Mansfield Rd Baptist church were able to use the church grounds and stand on the walls to watch the coach pass.

Sorry for the delay folks. Events keep intervening.

This stuff is gold dust. Among all the names and places you've mentioned there's bound to be something to create a spark in Dorothy's brain. Great news about the photo, Babs -if it will stop raining. It's all even made me remember the name of the chemist on the corner of Berridge Rd(?) and Cedar Rd - Mr Gidney, wasn't it? There was also an Indian greengrocer diagonally opposite, if memory serves. Lizzie preferred him, Gidney, to doctors.

Billy supported 'County' so D might not have attended the 'Forest' parade, but she would certainly have turned out for the Queen and Duke - she stood for 3 hours, in the rain, some years ago, to see their daughter in law, Diane, when she visited these parts. And, as she has always loved animals she may well remember Cocky.

Two questions:- was Maples in the city centre back then, and would anyone one know where teenage girls went dancing or to sample the joys of the Kardoma (coffee bar?)?.

Searching through cupboards and drawers earlier, for anything which might help, I came across what I suppose you might call an autograph book given to D's mum on her 21st in 1915. Many earnest or religious quotes, but one irreverent one from an uncle sticks in the mind:-

Blessed is he

Who sits on a tack

For he shall surely rise.

Good night and thanks.

P.S. NewBasfordlad, did you have to wear a pillbox? We had graduated to forage caps by the late 40's.

• Upvote 1

dont know what the shop was then as i have only lived here10years but is a veitarian bakers know they make some nice cakes date and walnut our favorite they sell it in single pieces as well as whole cakes

A final visit yo say thank you, and goodbye.

My memories of Nottingham, starting with a night in a doss-house in Atlas St. where extra beds were mounted on the stairs, with their lower legs suuported on chairs or boxes, and concluded with lifting a six stone, doubly incontinent, skeleton from his bed while the bedding was changed, are not particularly happy. But your courtesy, consideration and helpfulness have done much to improve them.

The sites visited as a result of your comments and suggestions have made me realise what a lovely city you call home.

All I have to give, in return, is something you probably know already. If you want to know more of Nottingham, whether in words or images, simply type Nottingham, in Google, and follow it with your area of interest -Arboretum, churches, football, Lenton, whatever. And it won't cost you a penny. Bye.

Tony.