Great Northern Railway Corn Warehouse.

I've made several visits to this site in the last few weeks, on the last occasion I got in, and onto the roof...

Toxic Environment

Temple Tomb

What Do You See?

Primary Route Up

Shock & Awe

World Heritage Site

http://www.flickr.com/photos/david_nimrod/

• Upvote 1

Terribly sad that it isn't covered in prefabricated affordable housing.

Unfortunately not all old warehouses and factories can be saved...populations increase and space is needed for homes.Preferably on brown field sites rather than the green belt.

David, welcome to Nottstalgia, from the interest that you obviously have in old (and new) Nottingham you should find the Forum fascinating.

Knowing little about the building, I have just been "googling" around and it seems that it has had a sad and pretty chequered past since its dereliction.

I think the Ex G.N.R./L.N.E.R. grain houses are beyond saving and with their location the land they are on is of high value.

Being as the site is close to the city centre,railway station & tram surely a good place for a up market housing development.?

Bubblewrap, I think you are right. It is a shame, but it was left derelict for far too long, and after the big fire it's now just a shell that cannot be retrieved. If it was, it would cost an arm and a leg, and much of it would not be original anyway.

I remember maybe 70s 80s there being a furniture retailer there?

More recently werent there bodies found there?

Surprised it has lasted so long, the rates must be colossal!

I was reading about this the other week. Apparently the first floor was suspended from the roof so that the ground floor was a wide open space that carts could get around in.

I did some work once for the daughter of the guy that owns it and they can't pull it down as it's listed.

They tried to burn it down but lit the fire under the big water storage tank that then set the fire out.

I think it is listed, but it is an absolute eyesore. There are too many of these "too far gone " structures still surviving. It's time common sense prevailed, but that's too much to hope for.

I also heard that the old cinema at Basford Crossing is listed, but is used as an industrial unit. That whole area should have been flattened when Basford Flats were demolished and a flyover built over the railway. The traffic hold ups are horrific at times now the trams control the traffic lights.

yes time to go, that said lots of other places should go as well, cannot agree with these total rights offs being kept in state they are in, likewise former cinema's etc that have become bingo halls, factories and god knows what else over the years, if as per original a different matter? interesting there was no preservation order on the odean cinema? guess in the wrong place?

I disagree. Listing should make the owner culpable if he doesn't maintain the fabric of the building. The council should then send the builders in and send the owner the bill. If the owner can't pay - then confiscate the building. Too many properties are being purposely left to ruin to achieve the end that you are offering them. Don't let them win.

• Upvote 1

I quite agree.

Some beautiful buildings have simply been levelled.

Magnificent structures that could never be built today have just gone by the wayside, whereas some Godless concrete box gets a preservation order because some half-baked architect thinks it's a 'great example of the brutalist style'.

I cringe at some of the buildings they are throwing up now. They are the kind of things that look great in an architect's portfolio, but look crap in a city centre - after only a few short years. Yet some building that had history, a heritage and still looked great gets knocked down.

Nottingham had some fantastic buildings, but a short-sited council.

We've moaned about it a lot here, I know......

Huge buildings demolished after 30/40 years deemed as unsuitable or inferior...areas like Trinity Square,an eyesore for many years replaced with another eyesore...the architect himself disgusted with the resultant mess due to interference by council plonkers, and the area being 'improved' already after just a few years.

They should build public stocks in the middle and fill them with these so called 'experts'

• Upvote 2

They should build public stocks in the middle and fill them with these so called 'experts'

Or make these "so called" experts live in these buildings for a few years or build them close to where they live. (without heating ;))

• 1 year later...

I was reading about this the other week. Apparently the first floor was suspended from the roof so that the ground floor was a wide open space that carts could get around in.

I did some work once for the daughter of the guy that owns it and they can't pull it down as it's listed.

They tried to burn it down but lit the fire under the big water storage tank that then set the fire out.

Hi there everyone. I'm an urban explorer and filmmaker in Nottingham. I'm currently producing a Sci-Fi film and I'm really interested in the GNR building. I've visited it before and it just looks amazing! I'm trying to find a contact for the owner of the building so that we can get permission to film there. It's a bit of a health and safety nightmare :P Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you!