If this has already appeared somewhere in the annals, I apologise, but I've been trying to remember play rhymes we used as kids, such as those to choose who was 'It'. The only one I can bring to mind is, 'One potato, two potato, three potato, four. Five potato six potato, seven potatoe more. (I think) I get lost after that and can't remember any others. Girls used to have loads of them while bouncing a ball against a wall. Anyone remember others?

Clapping Rhyme:

I had the scarlet fever

I had it really bad,

they wrapped me in a blanket

and put me in a cab.

The cab was really shaky

I nearly tumbled out,

and when I got to Blackpool

I heard the kiddies shout.

"O mummy daddy take me home

from this convalescent home.

I've been here a week or two

and now I want to be with you"

This is the one I remember - a tennis ball in a stocking, bouncing against a wall

Have a cigarette Sir, No Sir, Why Sir?

Cos I’ve got a cold Sir, No Sir, Why Sir?

Bin to North Pole Sir, No Sir, Why Sir?

Catchin a Polar Bear Sir, No Sir, Why Sir?

How many S’s in that, kind Sir?

One Sir, Two Sir, Three Sir, all the rest are dead, kind Sir

I only remember the Shirley Ellis song The Clapping Song

3, 6, 9
The goose drank wine
The monkey chew tobacco on the streetcar line
The line broke, the monkey got choked
And they all went to heaven in a little rowboat

Then this that comes from a song from the 1930s called My Rubber Dolly by The Doughboys !

My Mother told me
If I was goody
That she would buy me
A rubber dolly
My Auntie told her
I'd kissed a soldier
Now she won't buy me
A rubber dolly

Play rhymes were touched on in "50`s Nottingham" under Games, but another I think was a ball bouncing game, though I can only recall the first couple of lines

Where was Moses when the light went out?

Down in the cellar with his shirt hanging out.

Eeny meeny miny mo

Put the baby on the po

When it's done

Wipe it's bum

Eeny meeny miny mo.

If it looked like you might be out you stuck some more words on E.G. Eeny meeny miny mo means out you go..

It wouldn't be politically correct these days to give the version of that rhyme we used to use.

• 7 years later...

I remember hitting two balls against the wall first throwing each ball underarm towards the wall all the way chanting this song below..  Then singing the song again all the way through, only this time at the end of each sentence of the lyrics you’d throw one of the balls overarm throwing against the wall, then go through the song all over again, then throwing the ball against the wall overarm then for the last two words of the sentences  .. You repeat the song four times eventually throwing the balls overarm all the way through.. Then do all over again throwing the ball in the air on the last word of each sentence and so on.. Then doing slamzees, then droppsies and then turning your back to the wall doing everything all over again.. The object of the game was to get to the end without dropping the ball, if you did? You gave the balls to the next opponent for their attempt at winning .. Every time it was your go again, you’d start off where you dropped the ball last time, so whoever got through to the end without dropping the ball was the winner.. GREAT TIMES!! kids of today don’t know what they’re missing..

Here is the song we sang, whilst playing the game…

Each peach, pear and PLUMB

I Spy Tom THUMB

Tom Thumb in the WOOD

I Spy Robin HOOD

Robin hood in the CELLAR

I Spy CINDERELLA

Cinderella at the BALL

I Spy Sandy SHAW

Sandy Shaw in the STABLE

I Spy Betty GRABLE

Betty Grable is a STAR

STAR

• Like 1

I can remember my sisters playing 'two ball' and the complex order of throwing them, much like a game of snobs the rules became progressively more difficult (including throwing under the leg at one point). There was a chant, I can't remember it, but it pre-dated Sandi Shaw and I do remember it starting with "each peach pear plumb"

CT, I remember the the girls playing that game, both in our street and at junior school. That would be up to the mid 50s.

Never played it  meself, was too busy playing skimming fag packets at the wall or marbles.

I remember that rhyme but not while playing the 2 ball game.

We called the game ‘Sevens’ and did it like this….

Seven times normally against the wall

Six times letting it bounce on the way back (Dropsies

Five times up in the air

Four times up in the air then against the wall

Three times under then overhand

Two times bounce once to the wall and catch on the rebound

once throw one ball to the wall and spin round before you catch it

I think that’s the right order.

if you completed that without a mistake it was done again but with a clap between each throw (Clapsies)

The only 'Dropsies' I know of is when you've had a bad curry the previous night.  :rolleyes:

Margie you forgot the oops, one against the window and run for your life 'cos mam had already warned you twice!  smile2

I can only remember playing 2 ball at my Primary School when I was about 10 or 11.

Just for Phil …

we played it  on the outside wall facing the field of Mr Turner’s  room. 
Can’t remember any boys playing it .

There were no windows on that wall

Brew!

I remember Mr. Turner. The sadist who used to punish you by hitting your open palms with a ruler! On the other hand he did give me a shilling on two occasions - for knowing the names of the Five Towns and for knowing the names of the Cinque Ports.

Jack Jack shine a light

Shine it in a minute 

Our brothers sh#t the bed

And I'm rolling in it