If anyone has any specific memories about trainspotting trips from Nottingham to Grantham Station during the 1950's - 60's, then I would like to hear from them.

Along with a few others I am trying to record for posterity stories & anecdotes from the above period.

This can be just a few lines or a complete epic covering your experiences in and around the station or locomotive shed.

Please have a look at www.returntograntham.wordpress.com for details and information.

In the reverse direction, can anyone remember an early morning train service (1956) departing Grantham at 4.55am and getting into Nottm Vic around 5.45am, this then went on to Derby. The service carried the general public and railway workers for Colwick and other railway installations in Nottingham at the time.

In the summer school holidays August 1961 I was one of a group of four 13 year old schoolboys from Bramcote Hills Grammar School who undertook "a grand day out" to Grantham station from Nottingham Victoria. This trip was specifically made in the hope of seeing the then brand new Deltics which had recently been introduced. I think about ten or dozen of the class were already in service. We all took a packed lunch and a small thermos of tea. On arrival at Grantham we set up camp at the far north end of the bay platform which served the railcars from Nottingham, well out of everybodies way. We were lucky in our quest, if my memory is correct we saw perhaps 4 or 5 of the new Deltics during our day. The names St Paddy. Meld & Pinza certainly come to mind.. About 2pm we were visited by the Stationmaster, who wanted to know which school we were from and why we were there. I do remember him being quite pleased when informed of our Deltic quest.

I, unlike the other three, was not much of a trainspotter, but I was rather taken by the "new" diesels then coming into service. Our family holiday. taken at Easter that year had been to Teignmouth in South Devon and I used to get up early and sneak out of the hotel well before breakfast in order to watch the trains on the famous seawall . The locomotive mix on the up and down main line trains was varied and unpredictable, Kings, Castles, Halls & Granges and best of all the new Warship diesel hydraulics.

• Upvote 1

I went to Grantham station many times in the mid to late 1950's sometimes by train sometimes by bike. I remember going with my Dad who had work to do there, I led us into a non smoking compartment of a no corridor train, Dad liked his pipe and was not best pleased.

If you arrived by bike it was not easy to get onto the station, the staff kept you off and there was nowhere near the station with a good view of the railway, Newark was much better and a shorter bike ride.

There was at least one Haymarket A4 each day on the Elizabethan. Southbound one day and Northbound the next. but it was often the same one.

The Scottish pacifics were more often seen at Newark than Grantham as they were all overhauled at Doncaster and run in on a test train to Barkstone triangle where they turned round and returned to Doncaster thus missing Grantham.

Happy memories.

• Upvote 1

I spent the first eleven years of my life in Elstree Drive which backs on to the Nottingham Sheffield line so I used to regular see Jubes and Royal Scots but when my dad took me to Grantham one Saturday in the summer of 1962 it was a day that has stayed with me ever since. We caught a dmu at Nottingham Victoria and soon arrived at Grantham. Standing on the platform as those mighty Deltics roared through was one of the most thrilling days of my life. There were stopping trains as well of course so it was possible to also observe these monsters at rest. I can't remember how many of these mighty diesels passed through Grantham that day but the slightly scary anticipation as they approached at speed with the rails "singing" as they got closer and then the whoosh as they raced through that tiny station was just amazing. I also copped an A4 pacific on an up express later that afternoon. "Streak, streak" all the kids shouted as it approached and sounded it's chime whistle. I'd never seen an A4 before so it was wonderful to have seen both the old and new stalwarts of the ECML that afternoon. I lived in Peterborough from 1978-81 and saw the decline of the Deltics as the HSTs took over. In 1982 I moved to Grantham but by then the Deltics had all but gone and in 1989 when I moved to Huntingdon the line had been electrified and the magic had gone completely. I found a video on YouTube of a Deltic on an up express at Grantham and seeing it leaning over on the curve into the station brought it all back. Thanks dad.

• Upvote 1

You could just make them out shimmering in the haze in the far distance as they got bigger and bigger.

Funnily enough though, the fastest engine I ever saw go through Grantham was a Brush Type 4 (47 class). I thought it was was going to leave the rails.

These are amazing and evocative replies to my post, thank you all very much.

If you would like to add them to www.returntograntham.wordpress.com it would help our project enormously.

Click on Spotters' Corner to leave a reply, much appreciated.

Lovely photo Merthyr Imp thanks.

I think trains could pass through Grantham at up to 100 mph in the 60s

Wasn't there a derailment there that lead to this being reduced?

When I was there in 1962 there were no white lines to keep you away from the platform edge. I think it was electric light signalling and all the young trainspotters got very excited when it turned back to green because another fast train wasn't far away.

Looking south there was a sloping road bridge and on a summer's day you could just make out the yellow warning panel of an approaching Deltic as it passed under it. It wasn't long before the train thundered through.

I think trains could pass through Grantham at up to 100 mph in the 60s

Wasn't there a derailment there that lead to this being reduced?

When I was there in 1962 there were no white lines to keep you away from the platform edge. I think it was electric light signalling and all the young trainspotters got very excited when it turned back to green because another fast train wasn't far away.

I don't know for sure, but I don't think 100mph was OFFICIALLY (emphasis!) allowed until the 1970s onwards. I think there was a speed restriction through Grantham - not sure what, but less than 100 - until the curve at the north end was eased in about the early 1970s after the end of steam. My Deltic photo shows it after that had been done.

Don't know what the restriction is nowadays, but I would think it's over 100.

There was a famous derailment at Grantham in the early 1900s, but that was due to a northbound train failing to stop and being derailed on the points which had been set for the Nottingham line. Don't recall offhand any more comparatively recent derailment.

It's yellow lines which they have now to indicate you shouldn't go too near the platform edge (for fear of being sucked in!). White lines usually were/are on the actual edge of the platform. But you're right - no yellow lines in those days - people were assumed to have enough sense not to go too near the edge.

Mess, if you lived your younger years on Elstree drive you must have stood on tin bridge on Woodyard Lane regularly. If that is so then our paths must have crossed because as a resident of Wigman Road, I used to share my time between Old Coach Road train bridge and Woodyard Lane bridge. This would have been between 1958 and 1965.

As for Grantham. We used to always get told off by the station staff for sitting on the porters barrows.

I do remember one trip around 1964 we did with our school railway society one Saturday. We bought an eastern region Rail Rover type of ticket (each) and planned a good days outing using the blue eastern region time table and we travelled as follows.

• Nottingham Victoria to Grantham by DMU.
  • Grantham to Peterborough Deltic Hauled.
  • A walk round to Peterborough East station for a quick look and back in time to see Deltic Nimbus parked in a bay platform having failed on the down Flying Scotsman. It still had the Thistle headboard attached.
  • A long trip around the Lincolnshire lines now closed including Tattersall, Conningsby etc ending up at Doncaster.
  • Doncaster to Peterborough and back both trips Deltic hauled.
  • Doncaster to Sheffield Victoria.
  • Sheffield Victoria to Penistone and backhauled by DC electric locomotive.
  • Sheffield Victoria to Nottingham Victoria steam hauled.

We arrived back worn out but happy. Highlights were the very fast trips between Doncaster and Peterborough and back. Some of the party had caught the O.S.Nock disease and were doing journey logs, getting the speeds by timing between mileposts.

I still remember buying fish and chips for 1/6d old money at a chip shop outside Penistone station.

We obviously did not appreciate what we saw that day being too young. No longer able to travel the GC from Nottingham Vic. Peterborough East gone. And all those lines in Lincolnshire. Everytime I go through Conningsby and Tattershall by car I am reminded of that day out. Oh to be able to do it again. The ticket for the day was fifteen shillings half fare as I was about 13.

• Upvote 1

The only memory of Grantham station is when my dad was a railway signalman. After Victoria station was closed he was sent to Grantham for a while, infact he has said he has worked in all of the boxes from Nottingham from to Boston some time or other as a relief signalman.

Mess, if you lived your younger years on Elstree drive you must have stood on tin bridge on Woodyard Lane regularly. If that is so then our paths must have crossed because as a resident of Wigman Road, I used to share my time between Old Coach Road train bridge and Woodyard Lane bridge. This would have been between 1958 and 1965.

As for Grantham. We used to always get told off by the station staff for sitting on the porters barrows.

The areas you refer to were my playground until I moved to Forest Fields in 1961. Before they built Farrands we also used to sit on the fence near the tin bridge and watch the trains. Spent many hours playing around the old canal, Raleigh's and EMEB's sports grounds.

In one of your earlier posts you said you had a school photo from your Glenbrooke days. Any chance you could post it on here or maybe FriendsReunited?

I do remember one trip around 1964 we did with our school railway society one Saturday. We bought an eastern region Rail Rover type of ticket (each) and planned a good days outing using the blue eastern region time table and we travelled as follows.

• Nottingham Victoria to Grantham by DMU.
  • Grantham to Peterborough Deltic Hauled.
  • A walk round to Peterborough East station for a quick look and back in time to see Deltic Nimbus parked in a bay platform having failed on the down Flying Scotsman. It still had the Thistle headboard attached.
  • A long trip around the Lincolnshire lines now closed including Tattersall, Conningsby etc ending up at Doncaster.
  • Doncaster to Peterborough and back both trips Deltic hauled.
  • Doncaster to Sheffield Victoria.
  • Sheffield Victoria to Penistone and backhauled by DC electric locomotive.
  • Sheffield Victoria to Nottingham Victoria steam hauled.

We arrived back worn out but happy. Highlights were the very fast trips between Doncaster and Peterborough and back. Some of the party had caught the O.S.Nock disease and were doing journey logs, getting the speeds by timing between mileposts.

I still remember buying fish and chips for 1/6d old money at a chip shop outside Penistone station.

We obviously did not appreciate what we saw that day being too young. No longer able to travel the GC from Nottingham Vic. Peterborough East gone. And all those lines in Lincolnshire. Everytime I go through Conningsby and Tattershall by car I am reminded of that day out. Oh to be able to do it again. The ticket for the day was fifteen shillings half fare as I was about 13.

Hi,I've still got the ticket! I'll dig it out, I'm sure the year was 1965.

The second train from Grantham to Peterborough was Class 47 hauled, to our disapointment and I have a photo of Nimbus parked in the bay platform, I'm sure I've published it on here somewhere. We caught the Skeggy DMU and got off at Firsby junction changing to the Lincoln DMU which promptly developed an engine overheat at Tattershall Station, the floor got hot and smoke was pouring out from underneath. We got in a panic as we had to change at Lincoln promptly to get the Boat Train from Harwich, Class 37 hauled, in order to get to Sheffield then Penistone. I seem to recall we managed to run on to Lincoln on one engine while the Tattershall station master even called Lincoln in an attempt to get the Boat Train to wait for us. We got there OK and went via Retford to Sheffield where the 37 was replaced by a 26**** electric loco to Penistone where you had your chips as it was lunchtime. I went back there a few years ago and the chipoil was still there!

Back to Sheff Vic and a DMU to Donny where we caught the Deltic hauled non stop to Peterborough, indeed, the keen types clocked us at 107mph down Stoke Bank, I don't think it was Deltic hauled on the way back, but we got off at Doncaster to catch the York to Banbury parcels which was steam hauled by a filthy B1 from York to Sheffield ( we caught it from York to Sheffield on one of our own trips in June 66, remember, our last ride part the way down the ECML on a regular steam hauled train, probably just about the last ever).

The B! was taken off and the train had a 37 stuck on the back at Shef and we reversed back down the line to Vic.

I don't recall us going to Peterborough East, we were on a tight schedule and it was a bit of a walk from the ECML station and back, Polly Flinders kept us going on and off trains all the time, I've got a few notes and photos, though for some reason, I didn't take many that day. I'll dig them out and try to get them on here.

If anyone has any specific memories about trainspotting trips from Nottingham to Grantham Station during the 1950's - 60's, then I would like to hear from them.

Along with a few others I am trying to record for posterity stories & anecdotes from the above period.

This can be just a few lines or a complete epic covering your experiences in and around the station or locomotive shed.

Please have a look at www.returntograntham.wordpress.com for details and information.

In the reverse direction, can anyone remember an early morning train service (1956) departing Grantham at 4.55am and getting into Nottm Vic around 5.45am, this then went on to Derby. The service carried the general public and railway workers for Colwick and other railway installations in Nottingham at the time.

If you look up some of my postings, in particular 'Train spotting in the 1950's and 60's', you'll see some of my photo's taken at Grantham, there's more about somewhere, but not all together. If I can remember how to get on and upload from Photobucket I'll find some more.

Thanks Firbeck, I will have a look at those posts & pictures !

Thanks also to those who have reposted onto our Grantham specific blog www.returntograntham.wordpress.com

Smiffy

Ayup Firbeck owd mate. Where've yer been? Yes I remember that unit failing on that day out. Heavens it was 50 years ago. I've been showing my missis some of the photos you posted with me as a 14/15/16 year old. Of course she had hysterics when she saw them. That one with Jacko was particularly interesting to my grand daughters as he was still teaching at Rosslyn primary school when they were there.

I have been retracing some of our derelict railway walks with my grand daughter as she loves the old railways, but 50 years makes a lot of difference.

Firbeck. I seem to remember visiting an Aunt of yours at Rotherham after school from Vic station, or was I dreaming. I certainly remember the Midland Pullman trip to Loughborough coming back on the GC. We ran across the tracks to the parcels ramp so we could keep the tickets.

Ayup Firbeck owd mate. Where've yer been? Yes I remember that unit failing on that day out. Heavens it was 50 years ago. I've been showing my missis some of the photos you posted with me as a 14/15/16 year old. Of course she had hysterics when she saw them. That one with Jacko was particularly interesting to my grand daughters as he was still teaching at Rosslyn primary school when they were there.

I have been retracing some of our derelict railway walks with my grand daughter as she loves the old railways, but 50 years makes a lot of difference.

Which one's have you got, only the stuff off of here?I have so many pics, I had a look through my box of black and white pics last night and kept saying, 'he was with me when I took that, and that, and that, etc, etc', hundreds of the bloody things. Have you got any that you took that I haven't seen?

We could easily turn this into a personal forum of hiking/railway/bus/canal/historic/school memories,but we musn't!

No, I didn't have an aunt in Rotherham, I can't think what that was all about.

I remember us running up the ramp at Vic, wearing our school uniforms as we thought we should dress smartly to get on the Pullman and had nothing else to wear. When we caught the Black 5 hauled semi-fast back from Loughborough Central and made use of our first class tickets, the guard jumped on us and tried to chuck us out, we smugly showed him our tickets, he was shocked! Yes, the ticket collector regularly on duty at Vic was a miserable old git to be avoided if you wanted to keep your tickets as a souvenir.

Can't you recall on the last day of services to Marylebone when we caught the last ever passenger train ( Bournemouth-York ) north, then the Banbury parcels, the last train south from Sheff Vic late at night, my old man, you, John Smith and I, we were the only passengers on it. We removed all the toilet rolls from the carriage bogs and tied them to the door handles, we entered Vic streaming in the wind. When we asked the collector if we could keep the tickets, he refused, he was totally pissed and my old man told him so, called him a miserable b****** and threatened to report him and more, we kept the tickets.

Smiffy, I shall look on your website and try to upload some of my many pics and relate some tales, for a taster, my first visit to Grantham from Nottingham Vic was 1956. I was very excited at arriving, looking forward to seeing my first 'Streak', and sure enough, there it was, parked adjacent to the station on the shed access line facing north awaiting duty. Only, it wasn't an A4, it was 60700, formerley 10000, Gresley's famous 'Hush Hush' converted into a convential loco, but, nevertheless a 4-6-4 rather than a Pacific, probably one of my best ever spots, better even than the A1 seen in Derby shed in the mid 60's.

Wonderful stuff Firbeck,

To put things on www.returntograntham.wordpress.com my "techi" colleague says that because it is a "blog" the only way to post something is to write a comment against an existing posting. He also says an alternative method (probably better) is to email the blog moderator on grantham35b@hotmail.co.uk

He will then create your post & pictures on the site with full credits etc.

I must say that I look forward to reading them !

Smiffy

Pete! Remember when we went to the Isle of Wight on your tandem ( and came back walking like we'd pooed our pants)? I still have photos of the last steam week on the Lymington branch. USA tank at Eastleigh and BR standards at Brocklehurst. Remember that railwayman at either Oxford or Winchester youth hostel who 'lost' his hat and cap badge. I wonder what happened to that.

Pete! Remember when we went to the Isle of Wight on your tandem ( and came back walking like we'd pooed our pants)? I still have photos of the last steam week on the Lymington branch. USA tank at Eastleigh and BR standards at Brocklehurst. Remember that railwayman at either Oxford or Winchester youth hostel who 'lost' his hat and cap badge. I wonder what happened to that.

I've got some brilliant pics to post, but I can't work it out yet, I've asked for advice.

Steve Wood tells me that I have a fantastic memory, here goes.

The railwayman was an obnoxious, annoying git that we met at Winchester, remember the Youth Hostel in the mill where we had to drag up the washing water in buckets from the mill race. His hat disappeared into your bag, you kept the hat, I kept the badge, Southern Region green, which now adorns my engine drivers cap that fell of a peg at Staveley GCR shed in 1965.

If you can upload them, I'd love to see your pics of that trip, perhaps we should do it by direct e-mail. PM me.

I remember visiting the old loco shed Ryde and riding on the new electric railway system using second hand London underground trains. I think it was the first year of those trains.