'In 1704 the great Duke of Marlborough defeated the French forces under Marshal Tallard at Blenheim, and captured their illustrious general. Marshal Tallard was sent to live in Nottingham under parole.'

2wgypls.jpg

'He eventually settled down to live a happy and useful life amid his erstwhile enemies.

His courtesy and innate goodness soon made him popular, and to him our forefathers owed many novel and useful innovations.

He taught their wives how to make white bread and how to prepare salads, and he taught the men how to grow roses. The greatest gift we owe to him is celery. He had known the plant in France, and sadly missed it in England, where its use was unknown.

He found it growing wild in the marshes at Lenton, and cultivated it in his garden at Newdigate House in Castle Gate.'

(From 'Nottinghamshire History' and other sources)

• Upvote 6

Bloody foreigners coming over here with their poncey salads !!!!!! LOL. Just shows how civilisation has moved westwards over the years and brought some good recipes and foods with them. Must try that Polish restaurant on Mansfield Rd soon. I hear the beetroot is something else. I see there is a Eastern European mini market opened in Bulwell recently. Might have a look, I love foreign versions of crisps etc.

Beat yer to it. 45 years ago I married a very tasty daughter of a Ukrainian immigrant. And she is still my tasty little wifey.

• Upvote 1

My wife is French and almost every time we go out for a walk she will collect some plant or other to make a salad, soup or something with it, only last Monday she returned with a bag of dandelion roots and leaves for a salad...

• Upvote 1

Nice try #1 poohbear! Funny how a post about local history turns into a discussion about weeds & the cooking thereof in only seven posts.

About 6/7 years ago a friend of ours arranged a guided tour around those parts of the city & we were introduced to Newdigate House & the story of Marshall Tallard's celery in the course of the tour. He (our friend, not Tallard!) was supposed to be organising a Saturday afternoon pub crawl and this was his idea of a joke. It backfired on him though, 'cos we were all so intrigued by what the guide was showing & telling us that it was about three hours before we got into a pub!

• Upvote 1

My wife is French and almost every time we go out for a walk she will collect some plant or other to make a salad, soup or something with it, only last Monday she returned with a bag of dandelion roots and leaves for a salad...

She has done it again today. Killed a rabbit on the way to work and now she is going to make a pâté with it...