• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello,   Thank you for your reply Benjamin, and thank you for the welcome DJ. Both are really appreciated.   I spoke to my Aunt, Mum’s sister, this morning and she maintains that t

I'm back Mandie,,,so much to tell you don't know where to start  lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yes indeed Leybourne drive i'm sure was finished just before the war,,,i recall the remnants of an ''Air raid shelte

I moved onto Southglade Rd. (No. 40) around 1951/2, when I was barely 3. Prevously we lived at 76 Glaisdale Drive, Bilboro. Back then, there was no Beckhampton, no Rise Park, or Top Valley, or Bestw

Welcome to Nottstlgia Pauline , I lived on Leybourne Drive  1954 to 1968, there are several others on this forum from good old Bestwood , whom I sure to welcome you soon. 

Welcome Pauline.   I hope you keep on posting your memories... love your story about the cows and also how the mums in the street cared about all of the children......

Here is a couple of photos of Bulwell Forest station, the first one is of the site of the old station with Rigleys Wagon works on the left. The second is of the site taken from Hucknall Road, I don't know where the photos came from so I cant credit them to the originator.

buwellforestrailwaystation.jpg

bulwellforeststation.jpg

• Like 4

Them photo's evoked some memories of people that have been in my life Trogg..........Uncle's Bill,,John,,Harry,,all worked there,,,along with some School mates,,,

Edit,, think ive mentioned before,,but along those old Railway tracks the ''Master Cutler'' was once re-routed,,,caused by my Dad derailing some trucks in Bulwell Common Sidings..........''Ham Fisted'' must run in the family.................;)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Talking of Rigleys i vaguely remember being in an adjacent field when very young. 1950 ish ?.....it was a very hot summers day......and lots of familys were there,,,i do believe it was a Rigleys social event.......the field had a rough Cricket and football area marked out,,....there was also a very small wooden hut from which one of my Uncles was serving Beer straight from a wooden proper old Barrel ,,,........but the main thing i recall was lots and lots of laughter,,,from genuinely happy folk..........

• Upvote 1

When looking at these photos it brings it home to you how time passes so quickly. Old black and white photos of a derelict building and an overgrown railway track and you remember playing in that area when the trains were still running, also of the people who were about at that era and passed away years ago, or is it just me remembering the good old days.

• Like 2

No not just you Trogg..............nicer days or Rose tinted ?.........thing is we were happy and loved the people around us........is that what made us happy ? or was it just because we were young.............?.

• Upvote 1

The Black Diamonds was the Bestwood Colliery Band , I believe it is mentioned on this Forum, if you use the search facility you should find references to it. Also if you go on Youtube you will find a few videos of them.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, trogg said:

The Black Diamonds was the Bestwood Colliery Band

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-34.3280898,150.9134587,3a,75y,192.81h,73.81t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s9GNxBKEqUoFdNBfofq_0hQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

This bridge celebrates the importance of Black Diamonds (coal) to the Wollongong district of NSW south of Sydney. A few ex miners on NS will remember it.

• Like 1

Is Brian Draper still the musical Director of the Bestwood Black Diamonds???

I must have driven under that bridge a few times and never noticed it, when I lived in "the 'Gong". I used to like driving up the coast road, some beautiful scenery.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2019 at 11:49 PM, Pauline B said:

Hello. I found this forum and read it from beginning to end as I lived on Bestwood Estate from 1948 when I was nearly 4 until 1970.

I lived on Southglade Road. I have only found one member I can remember up until now. There was a little lad 3 doors away from us at the other end of the block.

As he remembers., it was a good place to grow up in. Not only were there children in every house but the mothers all seemed to care about all of us.

Also, I thought it was a wonderful place as not long after we moved there, while the hedge was still not very high, we woke up one Sunday to find 4 or 5 cows feeding on the front lawn. I was convinced they had come for breakfast so I thought of them as my friends while the farm was still there.

Only just seen this!  Pauline B?

Yes.. I was the little lad at the other end of the block, or maybe you recall Phil.. my younger brother..  I remember your family well.  .. And I've just spent half an hour looking for a card you sent when my Mum passed.. but you didn't give an address, so was never able to thank you.  You signed it Pauline T*****

Please check your inbox.

Best..

Col

• Like 1

I'm glad you remembered me and my family Col.

I knew Pam best as she was nearest my age but I remember all 3 of you well.

Your mother  was always very kind.

I spent a long time in hospital in the mid 60s. Your mother and Mrs Smith went all the way - 2 buses each way - to visit me on my 21st birthday. 

I always felt I belonged to most of the families on our bit of Southglade.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Hi Pauline,

Lovely to hear from you. I hope you are well.  As you say.. all the families got on pretty well and we had some great times.  As you probably know, we lost Pam some years ago after she fought a long and brave battle against COPD and other issues.  Phil is still doing very well and still working. He and his wife live in Warren Wood. I remember your Dad as a kind and quiet man.  I don't remember your Mum very well, but I recall Harold and Peter.  Peter used to try to help me with my Maths.. but I was beyond redemption... It took me a while to recall your older sister's name.  Was it Olive?  If I recall she married a chap who worked at my old school.. HP. I think he also had something to do with Archaeology?  Hope I've got that right.

Hello Colin

Your memory is  excellent.  You remember a lot of detail.

There are now only 2 of us. Harold  died after an accident 6 years ago. We lost Olive 2 years ago. Peter is not at all well.

I haven't moved very far. Just to the other side of the common.

I meant to check. Did you say your grandad worked the signal box at the bottom of St Alban's Road.?

My Grandad Jelf worked there but it was a long time ago. He moved to Nottingham after he left the army  some time in the 1890s.

He must have been on reserve because he had to go off to the Boer War in 1899. I think he came home in 1901.

I wish he had lived long enough for me to remember what he talked about. but he was 76 when I was born so I only knew him for a few years. I wish I had been old enough to ask questions about his life.

I thought this might interest old Bestwoododians it is a photo of a Street party on Leybourne Drive on VE day 1945 with the Bankings in the background. I found it on the Facebook page of "Nottingham Way Back When" posted on 23 April. There is over 100 comments on it, even I can remember some of the family names in the comments ,I wasn't born then, then memories it has brought back well worth of a visit to the page. Has anyone else photos of street parties where they lived.

leybourne-Dr-VE1945.jpg

• Like 7

Brilliant trogg..........i can see Margaret Bowlers house and Alan Milwards,,i was born 6 weeks pre to that actually on Leybourne at one of the houses you can just see.

Don't recognise anyone,,could even be on it myself........look forwars to reading the comments on face book.

Ties,,Waistcoats,,Aprons,,Cobs,,Teapots,,.nice houses,,lovely neighbours,,.with smiling faces..............ahhh set me up for the day trogg............

• Like 3

Just managed to view the comments on Facebook,,i'm bleddy hopeless,,but got there,, and yes lots of names i knew from school days 50s were on there,,even some relatives..........

• Like 1

Got thinking more about troggs picture and Leybourne drive in particular...........apart from being born there ive just counted 25 relatives that lived there,,Grandparents,,Mam/Dad,,Uncles/Aunts,,and cousins,,,to say nothing of my first proper girlfriend and many school friends,,

Happy days indeed,,

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
On 4/24/2019 at 12:20 AM, Pauline B said:

Hello Colin

Your memory is  excellent.  You remember a lot of detail.

There are now only 2 of us. Harold  died after an accident 6 years ago. We lost Olive 2 years ago. Peter is not at all well.

I haven't moved very far. Just to the other side of the common.

I meant to check. Did you say your grandad worked the signal box at the bottom of St Alban's Road.?

My Grandad Jelf worked there but it was a long time ago. He moved to Nottingham after he left the army  some time in the 1890s.

He must have been on reserve because he had to go off to the Boer War in 1899. I think he came home in 1901.

I wish he had lived long enough for me to remember what he talked about. but he was 76 when I was born so I only knew him for a few years. I wish I had been old enough to ask questions about his life.

Hello again Pauline, I hope you are still visiting the site.  Apologies for not replying to this sooner but I've been a bit occupied with other things.  Sorry to hear that Olive has left us.  I can still see her in my mind.  Harold too, when we were much younger, probably in the late 1950s.  There was a bush in the hedgerow pretty much opposite your house, which we could stand inside.  It had assorted broken branches which we could press into service as control levers, triggers etc., and it was variously a spaceship, a fighter plane, a bomber and pretty much everything else.  Those days on Bestwood, and especially close to the fields and farm, were very special for all of us who lived there.  We weren't well off, but we were luckier than we knew.

Sorry to hear Peter isn't well.  Please give him my regards when you next see him and reassure him that my failure to learn Maths from him was entirely my fault.

Yes, my Grandad worked that signal box, and others.  He lived in the Railway House at Bobber's Mill too, as did his father, before WW1.

If you check your messages inbox, I sent a message some time ago.  We could swap contact details if you wish.

On 4/27/2019 at 8:36 PM, benjamin1945 said:

Got thinking more about troggs picture and Leybourne drive in particular...........apart from being born there ive just counted 25 relatives that lived there,,Grandparents,,Mam/Dad,,Uncles/Aunts,,and cousins,,,to say nothing of my first proper girlfriend and many school friends,,

Happy days indeed,,

It's a great pic.  At that time I had about 4 years to wait to be born and Southglade was I believe only 'footings' until well after WW2.

I doubt many who live on there now have the first clue as to what went on way back.  I don't think there's anyone left from my time still living on Southglade.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...