Benjamin, can you make out what the different buildings are, my maths class was in the block to the right, geography was in the block at the front, my class was in the block at the back, I think that was the science block.

I did woodwork and metalwork, but I think they were newer buildings. My geology class was in a pre fab.

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello,   Thank you for your reply Benjamin, and thank you for the welcome DJ. Both are really appreciated.   I spoke to my Aunt, Mum’s sister, this morning and she maintains that t

I'm back Mandie,,,so much to tell you don't know where to start  lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yes indeed Leybourne drive i'm sure was finished just before the war,,,i recall the remnants of an ''Air raid shelte

I moved onto Southglade Rd. (No. 40) around 1951/2, when I was barely 3. Prevously we lived at 76 Glaisdale Drive, Bilboro. Back then, there was no Beckhampton, no Rise Park, or Top Valley, or Bestw

fd0667c9-f5f9-472c-ae59-0f2dcfaee9ee_zps

Circa 1959/60 Padstow Secondary Modern School, Bestwood

BLOCK on the right was science,Biology and Art,Block in the middle was form classes and behind was Boys playground with the Girls one inside the Tennis courts.To the left of these were the school entrance,the Headmasters office,Assembly Hall,Geography and Tech.drawing classes and to the rear was the Gymn.Woodwork and Metalwork blocks on the extreme left,and of course the field at the front was for Athletics and Cricket.

i really loved the place,

Those trees at the top of the pic. Isn't that the old 'spinney' at the top of the old 'camp' to the side of Padstow Rd, where Morrel Bank etc. are now? I don't recall the spinney being so close to the school, but it looks right.

Col

P.S. I didn't go to Padstow, but a lot of friends did. I remember Mr Tipton. Arts and Drama I think.

There was also a science teacher there at least until the 1950s, who used to launch chemical rockets from the playing fields. Famous at the time but I can't remember his name now.

I recognize a few of those names.

Mr spiers was my metalwork teacher, he was ex military

Mr machej was my form teacher, He said he was an ex Polish fighter pilot from the second world war, and looking at the initials after his name he was awarded the Distinguished flying cross.

Mr Bett,Mr Yarwood,Mr Lowe,Mr James and Mr Spiers , are the ones i remember.

Others i recall not on list;

mr bond..head

mr thomas

mr henstock

miss parkinson

miss scattergood

mr fyles

mr england

mr harris

mr j.e.taylor

mr bacon

mr h.l.taylor

mr smith

mr price

Can still see that line of Trees,from my bedroom window about 3 miles away,......standing all alone,wondering where we all went,....bit sad int'it.

Anybody else see the TV prog earlier about 'The Last Dukes'. (BBC2.)

Little feature on the current Duke of St Albans and his Mrs. Shots of Bestwood Lodge and the Duke of St Albans pub. Also the Duke's lad wandering about in Emmanuel Church yard looking at the graves of his ancestors.

Col

• Upvote 2

Yes DJ360 I saw this one. It was interesting. The stately homes that survive have been set up as businesses and the Dukes have had to move with the times. Blenheim is very well run. Our son did and organ recital there and we were very well looked after. We had a good look around for free. An amazing place full of excellent examples of craftsmanship and the staff are lovely.

• Upvote 3

Thanks for the comparison Cliff Ton...my Grandparents lived on Andover Road. It's nice to see how the area looked when my Mum was a little girl, she was born in 1945, so it couldn't have looked vastly different...

• Upvote 1

First pic (and second earlier one) brought back memories, one of the first jobs I went on when I was an apprentice electrician was rewiring the first shop on the left there.

Cannot remember the type of shop, maybe a newsagent ? but it was a dirty job ripping up floorboards and chasing walls etc.

Had cousins live further up on the right hand side too in later years, still in regular contact on FB now they are all grown, married, and now grandparents.

Their parents sadly passed and were just lovely people where the kettle was always boiling or a meal could be knocked up whenever I used to pop in.

• Upvote 1

Nice pics Cliff,some trees seem to mature very quickly; the Chinese takeaway in that row of shops was great. Must say though the ' Barrel' didn't do it for me- Heathfield was a lot friendlier...as for the Goose Fair??? Deerstalker was the first time I played Restrictive Pool..the cues were on chains!!!

Think I only went in the Barrel once. Remember it being built.

I recall the Deerstalker being built in the 1950s. Like most pubs back then, it was OK. It was my Dad's local for many years. One of the earliest landlords was called Ted Hartland and was famous for winning a brand new Vauxhall back in the days when people off Bestwood just didn't have cars, much less new ones. I went to a few of the kid's Christmas parties organised there. Also used it as my 'midweek' local quite often until I left Nottm. In fact as I recall it was still OK until around 1980.

My late Sister Pam enjoyed working in the bar of the Deerstalker and Heathfield for a while.

Goose Fair also started off OK but was sadly ruined by the attentions of undesirables.

Col

• Upvote 1

davep5491 re: #70.

Surely Longmead was Edward's Lane Est?

Col

Never cared for the Barrel....but it did have it's uses. I sold my van to a bloke from Stoke on Trent...said to him "When you get somewhere near Arnold ring me and I'll come and meet you." A while later the phone rang....

"OK now have a look around is there a road sign or something to give me a clue where you are and I'll come meet you"

"Can't see any signs...I'm on a wide road and over the road is a ruin of a pub that's still smoking!"

"Ah!...that will be the Green Barrel...I'll be with you in five minutes"

• Upvote 1

I went in for the first and only time about twelve years ago when I first moved into the area. It was full of youngsters and druggies.

When it closed and was in the process of demolition, I dumped an arm chair and an old bath in the car park. They went !!!!!

• Upvote 1

It surely was Benjamin. I remember back in 61 going out with a young lady from Andover road, living in New Basford I thought it was quite posh up that way, they had bathrooms after all.

I MUST have known her newbasfordlad,i grew up on Andover and left when i got married in 67,

Also #68 Gibbo, bet i knew them too.

I was born in Longmead Drive,Bestwood in 1945. I've been looking for some old pics of me and this is the earliest one that I could find. Probably taken around January 45.

No def, not Bestwood,............i can tell from the picture,and def.Edwards lane.....lol....#73

#69 Had many schoolmates on that part of Arnold rd Banjo,......Hickman,Gingell,Mountford,Kirk,Taylor (Brian),Richards,...any of them your Cousins ?

OK DJ360 #73 and Benjamin1945 #78 I concede. bowdown

It's not Bestwood I agree, but It wouldn't have fitted this topic if I'd have said Arnold or Daybrook or Sherwood. I didn't really know where I was at that stage of my life, bear in mind that for the 1st 9 months I was hidden away and the remaining month of my time at Longmead my eyesight would have been pretty poor. #70 Lol

• Upvote 1