In the 1930s before the Bestwood Estate appeared. The white road up the centre is Edwards Lane; it stops at Oxclose Lane which was still just a rural lane. The traffic roundabout in the lower centre is the Five Ways junction. The buildings at centre-left are the City Hospital.

BqXBahH.jpg

• Upvote 8
  • Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello,   Thank you for your reply Benjamin, and thank you for the welcome DJ. Both are really appreciated.   I spoke to my Aunt, Mum’s sister, this morning and she maintains that t

I'm back Mandie,,,so much to tell you don't know where to start  lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yes indeed Leybourne drive i'm sure was finished just before the war,,,i recall the remnants of an ''Air raid shelte

I moved onto Southglade Rd. (No. 40) around 1951/2, when I was barely 3. Prevously we lived at 76 Glaisdale Drive, Bilboro. Back then, there was no Beckhampton, no Rise Park, or Top Valley, or Bestw

A great shot Cliff Ton, my patch! Are there any restrictions preventing me from copying your map, editing, then re-posting on here please?

That is simply me stitching together several images grabbed from Britain from Above. If you're really keen you could do one yourself with personal variations :dry: ; otherwise you can do whatever you want with my version.

my day was cheered when i read in the nottingham post of mrs sylvia fairholme being 100 yrs old last sat..currently residing at the lark hill retirement village,i saw her photo and thought i know that face,.............well its over 50 yrs since i'd seen her,she was a resident on bestwood est,for 69 yrs,a lovely lady that i knew from my days at (you've guest it), marsdens.lol.

still got all her faculties and going strong,i was at school with one of her sons,had'nt seen owt of him either,(keith).she stated her secret was 'moderation in all things,............i like to think it was all the 'potted meat' i used to serve her with...........don't suppose she'll read this,but 'happy 100th mrs sylvia fairholme.......from paul at marsdens.

• Upvote 5

It's far too late for creeping Benjamin, her will has been written years ago. LOL

• 3 weeks later...

Ben, (Mr Definitive Bestwood!) Arnold Road was concrete surfaced you`ll recall.

Between each bed or pouring, there were expansion gaps, filled with pitch. In the hot years, the concrete expanded, squeezing the soft pitch upwards

We used to pull chunks out and chew it for hours. We`re still here though.....Did yo Bestwood lot try any?

The parallel section of Arnold Rd., opposite the shops,where the houses were built later - did you sledge it? Start right at the top, on the level, not far from the original terminus for the no. 6, really long run, steep, a bit of a winding curve and then about halfway up the next gradient towards the site of the future Green Barrel.

Fantastic but a hell of a walk back for the next go. All of us had worn out toes on our shoes and boots from steering. Amazing there were not more accidents,

it was a popular spot and got a bit crowded.

Did you ever use Holehouse`s hardware shop on that parade? Nigh on next door to the Marsden`s/Farrand`s where you did a stint later in life. What a geezer he was.

As a kid I often bought bulbs and batteries there for my bike. He chain smoked but I never saw him with a whole fag, always the tiniest of nubs. To his credit, he

always tested a bulb or battery before selling it to you, but the rigmarole was unbelievable. It would have been so simple to have a short length or two of wire and perhaps a bulbholder. Oh, no. He had his trusty scissors. So, he`d hold the U2 battery in one hand, with one point of his scissors touching the

brass cap. The other hand held the other blade of the scissors and at the same time held the side contact of the bulb against the other point, and the

centre contact of the bulb up underneaththe U2.... Clever stuff!

At the same time, because his head was angled downwards to see what he was doing, the tiny nub was drifting smoke all around his boat race, causing a constant, small, choky type cough. All of this was every time someone wanted a bulb or battery. I said he was a character!

photo Cresta Run 1_zpst804hkbu.jpg

photo The rest o the cresta_zps6ozhudws.jpg

• Upvote 2

Yes spike,sledged it many times,where your 2 crosses are i had schoolmates houses,started near John Hickmans and finished at Malc Richards,as regards the black 'Tar'.......no never tried it,but i'm sure it was lovely lol...........we did'nt want to infringe on that delicacy of your end of the road. :biggrin:

• 3 months later...

Just got in from a job,and i'd like to thank Catfan for doing the bit for me,youre a true gent mate............also cliff-ton for also offering,............there are some clever gues's on here...........back later.............

• Upvote 1

Excellent pictures Benj and thanks to Cat for putting them up. I recognise some surnames, like Turton and Widdowson. I was in school with a Terry Widdowson I think, but mostly these pics are of people a couple of years older than me. Stan Sheard has posted comments of Stu's site. He recalled my late Sister.

As for the footy. I was totally useless. At least two, if not three left feet, and all the tactical 'nous' of a marauding slug. That said, I did my bit for team morale by carrying the Henry Whipple Rosette all the way from school to the ground on St Albans Road. I'm wondering if Benj remembers it. Wooden pole with a big Rosette made from stiff paper in the school colours.

Col

• Upvote 1

Don't remember wooden pole or Rosette col,.........the school got posher after I left.........if you notice the shirts were old well worn and faded,the socks were our own all different colours,and this was the local cup final..............Highbury who we beat in the semi's and St.Marys both had brand new strips,we looked like the poor relations...........lol.

Edit,......note also the Boots,....wooden Nogs,re-enforced Toe Caps,........lethal.........

• Upvote 2

Benj, Just noticed Bill Bayliss. Used to live at 56 Southglade with his Mum and Dad plus brothers Ray and Tony. There's no way I'd have recognised him from the pic though.

Col

• Upvote 1

I was going to mention the football boots, benjamin. The nogs were nailed into the boot and when the nogs became worn the nails would be visible. If you went into a heavy tackle, which were allowed in those days, you could slice an opponents leg and cause a nasty injury. In the attached photo you can see the three nails in each of the nogs.

Early50sFootballBoots_zpsc4e5d8a3.jpg

• Upvote 2

And following them came the continental style boots and shorts,..........boots became much lighter low slung with rubber studs,and the shorts were hitched right up almost showing your 'Jock-strap' or bathers that most of us wore,..........don't they look stupid now,......and yet we thought we were 'cats whiskers'.......lol.

• Upvote 1

Just a final word about the 1956 'Redfearn Cup final'.......then i'll shurup,.............the first match on St.albans road was a 2-2 draw and in the replay at Springfield St.Marys won 6-2,..........in their team that day was a lad called Chettle whos nephew went on to make a name for himself for Forest.Another of their players was Peter Smedley who was a brilliant sporting all-rounder (his family had the cobblers opposite Adelphi cinema) sadly Peter died on Bulwell golf course aged 18.

Redfearns minerals of Bulwell sponsored the competion,and on a final note the Bulwell Dispatch reported that there were over a 1,000 spectators over the two matches,not bad for a local schoolboy match.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...

Hey Benjamin!

Does the name Brian Leonardi mean anything to you?

Col

Lad I knew back in the day. Was at Whipple with him, and later I worked with him on the concreting for Drurys building the Basford Flats.

Can't recall where he lived. He'd be similar age to me. I'm 67 Shhhh. :)

Col

Peter would be about your age Col,he lived on Leybourne..just below Eardley.......His Dad was a P.O.W. and stayed here after the war,lovely family.............

• Upvote 1