#144, was that 67 as in sixty bl99dy seven..................................................................yo's even owder than me yoof!!

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello,   Thank you for your reply Benjamin, and thank you for the welcome DJ. Both are really appreciated.   I spoke to my Aunt, Mum’s sister, this morning and she maintains that t

I'm back Mandie,,,so much to tell you don't know where to start  lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yes indeed Leybourne drive i'm sure was finished just before the war,,,i recall the remnants of an ''Air raid shelte

I moved onto Southglade Rd. (No. 40) around 1951/2, when I was barely 3. Prevously we lived at 76 Glaisdale Drive, Bilboro. Back then, there was no Beckhampton, no Rise Park, or Top Valley, or Bestw

Brian certainly worked in the building trade, a big lad with a pock marked face. His brother Colin was of slighter build but was always referred to as the good looking one.

Brian a couple of years younger than me so that would put him about 67/68 he now lives on Sherwood estate and is not in the best of health. Could be down to the kick in the nuts he got when starting to turn round on the firing point with a loaded Sterling sub machine gun

• Upvote 1

The Brian I knew had the nickname 'Pud' or 'Pudding' way back.

• 2 weeks later...

Messing around on Britain from Above, I realised there's a photo which shows Marble Arch from the inside, and when the railway line was still there. The road in the foreground is Andover and Hucknall Road is partly hidden by the embankment.

marble_zpsbiu57t1s.jpg

• Upvote 3

Brill cliff-ton............Marsdens,Marble Arch,and all the shops,can name people who lived in those houses,.......Hancocks,Seatons,Henshaws,Petitts,Fairholmes,Lewins and many more..........the house where i grew up on Andover is further to the left,....oh and just noticed the house where i was born on Leybourne is just visable and my Grandma's.................

• Upvote 1

Messing around on Britain from Above, I realised there's a photo which shows Marble Arch from the inside, and when the railway line was still there. The road in the foreground is Andover and Hucknall Road is partly hidden by the embankment.

marble_zpsbiu57t1s.jpg

Keep coming back to cliff-tons photo,......and each time it reminds me of different people and things,looks as if the council houses were just being built,so I would put the date in the 40s?..........two girls who lived there were Sandra Moody and Christine Beal who I think both went to Whipple and Padstow schools same time as me.,.........also recall more family names from those houses on Andover and Leybourne,........Humphries,Streets,Henson,Daykin,Copeland,Collins,Perry, and Bagshaw............

• Upvote 1

When i put council houses just being bult i meant the ones on Hucknall road,.........Leybourne and Andover were built in the 30s....

And old Bestwood was classed as being part of Bulwell..........

• Upvote 1

Thanks cliff-ton,......I vaguely remember I was 6 then............just to the right of where they were being built was the field where we met to see the South Yorkshireman and Master Cutler fly past in the evenings.............

• Upvote 1

Excellent pic Cliff!

I reckon 1951 would be more or less when we moved there from Bilborough.

I had cousins who lived in one of the council houses Benjamin refers to. Name was Radford.  Ian, Neil and Jean.

I don't recall the field Benjamin refers to.  I can't remember at all what was between those few houses and the bridge over the GC at St Albans Rd/Kersall Drive.

Thinking about that bit of Hucknall Rd always reminds me of catching the Trent bus with Mum and Dad to go down to Moorbridge, either to visit my Mum's Dad in Bulwell Hall, or intercepting the 'Macko's' bus to Bestwood Village to see my Dad's Dad.

I also recall being fascinated by the sodium street lights which seemed really modern compared to the ordinary bulbs in the Bestwood Est. lamps.

65 years ago...  Flippin' eck!

Col

• Upvote 1
  • 6 months later...

benj 1945 post #151 re the house where you were born on leybourne   must be close to where I lived at no 97.

As for marble arch I have a colour photo of it from the shops side on my laptop if some one could post it for me as I don't have a photo bucket account.

97 near Hove road then........remember the Clark's,Starkeys,Witts from around there ? still see Barry clark and Donold Starkey.........

On 09/04/2016 at 11:38 PM, DJ360 said:

Excellent pictures Benj and thanks to Cat for putting them up. I recognise some surnames, like Turton and Widdowson. I was in school with a Terry Widdowson I think, but mostly these pics are of people a couple of years older than me. Stan Sheard has posted comments of Stu's site. He recalled my late Sister.

As for the footy. I was totally useless. At least two, if not three left feet, and all the tactical 'nous' of a marauding slug. That said, I did my bit for team morale by carrying the Henry Whipple Rosette all the way from school to the ground on St Albans Road. I'm wondering if Benj remembers it. Wooden pole with a big Rosette made from stiff paper in the school colours.

Col

Col, thought i'd let you know............saw Stan Sheard couple of days ago in Bulwell,..........reckon he's a member on here,but not posted yet,......c'mon Stan..........lol.

• Upvote 1

Excellent Benj.  Stan or his wife recalled my late Sis and posted on Stu's site.

Col

18 hours ago, trogg said:

benj 1945 post #151 re the house where you were born on leybourne   must be close to where I lived at no 97.

As for marble arch I have a colour photo of it from the shops side on my laptop if some one could post it for me as I don't have a photo bucket account.

Here's your photo trogg

Screen%20Shot%202017-02-26%20at%2012.42.

Glad to be of assistance in posting the image for you.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
4 hours ago, nnsc said:

I remember having to run under that when I ran cross-country at High Pavement.

Yes - down Gainsford Crescent, along Hucknall Road, through the marble arch (cue funny jokes about 200-mile runs), then was it back along Andover Road? (I've forgotten).

That was the usual cross-country route, but I remember on at least one occasion going down Hucknall Road, along Valley Road, then back to school via Edwards Lane and Arnold Road. I remember it particularly because we did it once with snow on the ground (maybe 1963) and the following day I'd lost my voice and had a couple of weeks off sick with what my mother described on my sick note as 'influenza with a bronchitis cough'.

• Upvote 1

#166............nice to see that photo of Marble Arch..........so many memories there..........go thru from Hucknall road first shop on the right my beloved Marsdens........with Jim Conduits hardware shop opposite........Marble Arch was like the Lions in town......ie meeting place for dates,schoolboy days........lived in the flat above Marsdens for short while when first Wed....10/- per week...........

• Upvote 1