• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello,   Thank you for your reply Benjamin, and thank you for the welcome DJ. Both are really appreciated.   I spoke to my Aunt, Mum’s sister, this morning and she maintains that t

I'm back Mandie,,,so much to tell you don't know where to start  lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yes indeed Leybourne drive i'm sure was finished just before the war,,,i recall the remnants of an ''Air raid shelte

I moved onto Southglade Rd. (No. 40) around 1951/2, when I was barely 3. Prevously we lived at 76 Glaisdale Drive, Bilboro. Back then, there was no Beckhampton, no Rise Park, or Top Valley, or Bestw

Raymede close trogg,.........did my Marsdens Granville bit up there mate..........still remember the names of customers......Hemsleys,Warsops,Allcocks,Jenners and Wilkinsons,..........amazing how the names just come back...........Ron Hemsley worked at Marsdens before me,..Warsops I think were mainly Raymede drive........went to school with Mick lovely lad passed away in his 40s,Geoff Jenner a best mate at school went to live in Spain many years ago.......his parents later owned a shop in Keyworth.....I also did a little courting with a girl off the close,which may surprise many of you.............lol.

Trogg,

Thanks for the pics!  I think I've seen them before but still good to see.

Jill and Merthyr.... I'd never even considered that Markova and De Valois were 'made up' names.  I'm just so trusting..

Raymede Steps.  Until I looked earlier I'd forgotten that there were actually two lots.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Raymede+Dr,+Nottingham+NG5+5FQ/@52.9958181,-1.174512,272m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4879c1b4c614b7d9:0xa4737f5dea778b08!8m2!3d52.997236!4d-1.1722706

And as for the 'Bankings'.  Never heard of them.

Do you mean this?  I have no recollection of it at all.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Raymede+Dr,+Nottingham+NG5+5FQ/@52.9950414,-1.1728511,81m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4879c1b4c614b7d9:0xa4737f5dea778b08!8m2!3d52.997236!4d-1.1722706

Benj.  A couple of names.  John Waldron from Raymede Close when I was in primary.  Brian Cooper from Raymede Drive and Jeffrey Wass from Southglade. ( Emigrated I think).

Col

• Upvote 1

That's the 'bankings' Col..........great sledging in the 50s...........free-wheeled down there on me Granville........then along a bit of Leybourne........and free -wheel down Hove road.............first houses at bottom of 'Bankings' were Bowlers Railway man with me Dad lovely daughter Margaret,then Milwards,Alan in my class at Padstow..........in Later years big Alma Beadsworth lived there,you must have heard of  Alma ?..........great family the Beadsworth's.............and no-body messed with Alma.....................

Col. I recall all the surnames you mention.........but different first names.............

Hmm....... I think both Bri Cooper and Jeff Wass had sisters...... ;)

Waldron.  I can see him now.. not absolutely certain it was John.. 

Col

14 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Jill and Merthyr.... I'd never even considered that Markova and De Valois were 'made up' names.  I'm just so trusting..

Col

At the risk of shattering any further illusions, and still on a ballet theme, I have to break it to you that Margot Fonteyn was originally Peggy Hookham and Anton Dolin was Patrick Kay.

• Upvote 1

:Shock:  You'll be telling me next that Darcey Bussell was originally  Arsey Bucket or summat!!

Really, she was:  Marnie Mercedes Darcey Pemberton Crittle...  :)

Col

#204. No Jill, it wasn't me, they couldn't prove it. Besides she was over 18.:rotfl:

• 4 months later...

I'm hoping someone can recognise anyone on the Bestwood photo's of benjamin 1945, I oroginally posted via PB on ben's behalf & now they have disappeared so now hosted via PostImage. Benjamin will be able to put names to faces when he gets behind his PC again.

img012_zpsct45e173.jpg

Henry Whipple 53/54 school team I was 8 the others are 9 or 10, photo taken in school playground which is exactly the same today.

back row.......clive bagshaw, trevor hatton, cliff hallot, mr.wall, Mick Laing, les Worrall, Richard bowler, Ray Weston.   front row, tony clayton, benjamin1945, Brian Lewin, Mick peach, bill Bayliss, john Bridgett, Malc unwin.

img013_zpssasmimmf.jpg

Henry Whipple v St Marys, cup final replay Springfield school ground, Bulwell 1956,

Back row, John Hickman, geoff Jenner, Stan sheard, David Churchill, tony Leatherland, mick Disney  front row, trevor Turton, Mick Musson, benjamin1945, tony McNichol, Terry dexter,..............all great lads, 2 no longer with us that I know of, 3 emigrated, 2 I still see regular, one joined nottstalgia a bit back but not posted yet.

img014_zpshhj6hkfy.jpg

Padstow school 57/58 class 2a,

left to right top row, Miss Parkinson, tony McNichol, roger kinnerley, girl ?, Irene howlett, Colleena mee, christine Middup, malc Richards, John bell, terry dexter, Mr.Bond headmaster,

middle row, Trev Widdowson, brian knott, diane Wilson, marilyn baxter, ann draper, kathleen Buckingham, julie hatfield, alan millward, benjamin1945,

front row, Charley Tacey, Valerie keetch, jim Webster, val Biddulph, Frank smith, ken pugsley, eileen rose, trevor turton, girl?, terry Atherton.

apologies to the two I don't remember,............but in my minds eye you were all lovely people,two have passed away that I know of,one I still see regular and one occasionally,...........if any of you on the picture or a relative recognise someone join some great people here on Nottstalgia.

So many happy memories from these photos that I treasure,hope some of the people on them see em,or their relatives,thanks again to caftan for putting em on.

•  
  • Upvote 2

Ah ah ah and lol, spot on jill, 

When i get back from hols I'll put the names in for uncle mort, but bet he and col name some anyway,

I'm still laughing at jilly clever clogs

• Upvote 1

Don't forget that for many years I was a teacher of children the same age as those in the photos. I can spot a little charmer ten miles away! One little face stands out because it's got "Look at me, I take a pride in my appearance and I'm going to break some hearts" written all over it! Besides which, most of the rest look gormless!

Edited to add that I have never met Ben in the flesh, as it were (ooh-er) so I'm judging solely on who looks like a potential future Bestwood heart throb!  ;)

• Upvote 2

I'm sure we'll meet jill one fine day

Just like to thank catfan again for re posting them,he's a diamond geezer

I'm well pleased they are back on,they are very important to me,such happy schooldays,hopefully some of the others on the photos or their families will see them and feel the way i do,could tell a story about nearly all of them,great people,,,,thanks again catfan,,,,,fair bought a lump to me throat, 

• Upvote 2

216.  Reminds me of a story I heard about male and female Grizzly bears who caught up with an unfortunate Chekoslovakian hiker.  All that was left was the unfortunate man's clothes.  A vet was reported to have said later that day.  "The Check's in the male!"

I'll get me coat.....

• Upvote 3

Well, let's say they don't exhibit the same embryonic charm as our Ben! Ben, by the way, from the photos,  has quite a noticeable facial bone structure which probably resulted in quite distinctive features as an adult. His face, even as a child, draws the eye to it. As I said, I've never met him and I've no idea whether the avatars he's posted are images of him or someone else. Therefore, I have nothing to use as a comparison.

After what I've just said, he'll probably be unable to get his head through the hotel doorway tonight but I think we can probably rely on Chulla to puncture his ego!  ;)

• Upvote 2