Love to know Sandra's surname,,but would'nt ask the lady to divulge on here,,.........a PM perhaps.? or a few more clues ?

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello,   Thank you for your reply Benjamin, and thank you for the welcome DJ. Both are really appreciated.   I spoke to my Aunt, Mum’s sister, this morning and she maintains that t

I'm back Mandie,,,so much to tell you don't know where to start  lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yes indeed Leybourne drive i'm sure was finished just before the war,,,i recall the remnants of an ''Air raid shelte

I moved onto Southglade Rd. (No. 40) around 1951/2, when I was barely 3. Prevously we lived at 76 Glaisdale Drive, Bilboro. Back then, there was no Beckhampton, no Rise Park, or Top Valley, or Bestw

I also went to padstow, jock Gallagher was the headmaster then, he must have been head for a long time as he was still head when I left in 1983, I see his replacement quite often, and spoke to him today.

He tells me that he was headhunted for the job at Padstow, he is from Ramsgate, the kids must have loved him, being a more liberal man than jock Gallagher.

I never had any problems with jock Gallagher, I just thought that all head teachers were as hard as nails.

Ben I can't remember a Ben from Bestwood. Which end of Leybourne did you live, were you anywhere near David Ward who lived on the top corner of Leybourne & Eardley opposite Carol Wardle. I lived Padstow end of Southglade near Lanes, Kimberleys & Mortons.

• Like 1

Ben is my middle name Sandra,, Paul is my first name,, i was born on Leybourne between Hove road and Eardley,,but moved to far end of Andover in  1947,,post office end,,up what we called the first cul-de-sac,,

I knew the Arnold family and the Websters next door at the end of Leybourne numbers 218 and 220,,plus many more around there,,Kimberleys,,Smiths,,Browns,,Churchhill,, Bayliss all on Southglade.

In 1960 i started work for Marsdens on Andover road,,you may remember me there,, we also must have had many of the same Teachers at school,,Deakin headmaster at Whipple,,Miss Parkinson,,Mr HL Taylor,,Mr Price,,Mr Yarwood,,Mr Thomas,,Mr Betts,, all at Padstow,,

Ah just remembered a few girls off Southglade you may have known,, Julie Oldfield,,Susan Brearley,,Brenda Smith,,and Josie Morris..........happy days Sandra

• Like 1

A few days ago there was a shooting incident on Eversley Walk, Bestwood.  I have a distant connection with that location.  In another thread, I’ve mentioned two elderly aunts who lived on Garden Street, Radford    https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/10134-garden-street-area/?;

When they left Garden Street they moved to a flat on Eversley Walk - it’s the top floor flat on the far right in this photo. 

G4B9p8E.jpg 

I used to like visiting them because we could play on that balcony (no satellite dishes then). The people shooting each other weren’t even born in those days ( or even the parents of the people shooting each other). 

That would be Bestwood park estate cliff ton,, which was built in the 50s, people tend to lump all the bestwoods together,,Bestwood estate is the old council estate,,you know the posher bit,, just saying. Lol,

• Like 2

Andover

Teviot

Hove

Eardley

Southglade

Padstow 

Leybourne

Raymede 

Gainsford

Langcroft

Carnwood 

All these are old Bestwood estate,, no others,,all built in the 1930s,,and classed as part of Bulwell,, 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/11/2018 at 9:29 AM, benjamin1945 said:

Ben is my middle name Sandra,, Paul is my first name,, i was born on Leybourne between Hove road and Eardley,,but moved to far end of Andover in  1947,,post office end,,up what we called the first cul-de-sac,,

Sandra   never came back ..........:(

• 1 month later...
On 11/2/2017 at 7:00 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

Do you remember the Maltby family who lived on Bagnall Road around the late 60s? Helen Maltby was at Manning with myself.

Just found this site after doing a google search for Manning Grammar School. Read some of your posts Jill. Certainly entertaining and you have a much better memory of school than I do. Mum was still living on Bagnall Road until she died in 2016. The house my father built. Sadly we sold it.

10 hours ago, Helen Maltby said:

That would be my brother Alan.

Greetings Helen.  If your Dad built your house, it might explain my memory of Alan entering the school Lecture Contest with a discourse on Bricklaying and the various 'bonds' used by bricklayers.

Col

On 1/4/2019 at 4:01 PM, Helen Maltby said:

Just found this site after doing a google search for Manning Grammar School. Read some of your posts Jill. Certainly entertaining and you have a much better memory of school than I do. 

I only wish I could forget it!

You were 5th grade i was sixth,,, and i'd have carried your books from school,,, cos ''my eyes adored you''   don't tell carnie........lol

2 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

and i'd have carried your books from school,,, 

Wish you'd been there when I had to carry that damned chicken casserole home along Gregory Boulevard! The casserole crock weighed a ton without the contents and the basket likewise. I spilled most of it!

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/8/2018 at 11:15 PM, SandraD said:

I moved to Southglade Road in May 1947, I was 2 months old & lived there until I was 19. I went to the nursery at the back of the community centre on Gainsford Crescent, then when I was 5 I went to the Infant school in the huts across from the community centre in the grounds that would eventually become High Pavement school. I attended Henry Whipple junior school & by the time I left Padstow had been built. Mr Bond was the headmaster for my first 2 years there being replaced by Jock, Mr Gallagher.

When I was a young child Southglade Road had only 2 houses after Padstow Road & it was the same for Leybourne & Raymede. There was no Deerstalker at that time, it came later. There was a Giles Goddard who lived at the farm at the end of Southglade. At the back of where the Deerstalker would eventually be built & running all the way up to St Matthews Church were the foundations of buildings which we were told were the remains of a Prisoner of War camp but I can't find any record of that. Does anyone know what the buildings that had stood there were for.

Only just seen this.

I was on Southglade from around 1951 and your recall is very similar to mine.  The Farmer Goddard I knew was Gervaise (Pronounced 'Jarvis') Goddard, commonly known as 'Jarve', or 'Run lads.. he's coming!!'  As for the 'Camp', yes I'm told it was a P.O.W.  camp for Italians.  We just decribed that area as 'camp'.  We went there mainly either for sledging in winter, which was pretty dangerous with all those brick footings about, or to get to the 'Spinney, which existed between the top of 'Camp' and Padstow School.

• 2 weeks later...

For Patsy,,     all you want to know on here about Bestwood estate,,,  

Type in Andover rd in the search box Patsy,,and all the shops are mentioned,,

• 1 month later...

Hello. I found this forum and read it from beginning to end as I lived on Bestwood Estate from 1948 when I was nearly 4 until 1970.

I lived on Southglade Road. I have only found one member I can remember up until now. There was a little lad 3 doors away from us at the other end of the block.

As he remembers., it was a good place to grow up in. Not only were there children in every house but the mothers all seemed to care about all of us.

Also, I thought it was a wonderful place as not long after we moved there, while the hedge was still not very high, we woke up one Sunday to find 4 or 5 cows feeding on the front lawn. I was convinced they had come for breakfast so I thought of them as my friends while the farm was still there.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Welcome to you Pauline.  Keep searching, you’ll find more Nottstalgians who you remember and/or remember you.  There’s so much for you to plough through.  Actually, I’m wondering if you have a younger brother called Alan?