• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello,   Thank you for your reply Benjamin, and thank you for the welcome DJ. Both are really appreciated.   I spoke to my Aunt, Mum’s sister, this morning and she maintains that t

I'm back Mandie,,,so much to tell you don't know where to start  lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yes indeed Leybourne drive i'm sure was finished just before the war,,,i recall the remnants of an ''Air raid shelte

I moved onto Southglade Rd. (No. 40) around 1951/2, when I was barely 3. Prevously we lived at 76 Glaisdale Drive, Bilboro. Back then, there was no Beckhampton, no Rise Park, or Top Valley, or Bestw

I'm back Mandie,,,so much to tell you don't know where to start  lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yes indeed Leybourne drive i'm sure was finished just before the war,,,i recall the remnants of an ''Air raid shelter'' at my Grandparents house at 126 Leybourne the Jacksons and i'm sure they moved there before the war.

Glad your Aunt remembers so many people who lived there,,,and she was correct about who lived at 118 it was the Hopkins and the lady Connie was my Mams sister,,,they had a large family obviously all my cousins,,,Barry,,Brenda,,Lynda,,Trevor,,Andrew and Angela.   The Alcocks at 104 i remember because of their big Privet hedge where i threw a Pixie bonnet over on my way to my Grandma's from school,,Mam had knitted it for me,,but i thought it was too 'Puffy' and the other lads at school had made comments,,cheeky sods.

I knew Irene Howlet and Mary Radford quite well they lived where i moved to from my Aunts when i was 2 or 3  Andover road,,,both really nice girls. Back to Leybourne,,i knew the Shepherds a lad a bit older than me,,can't recall his first name.   ah just come to me Gordon)..a bit odd your ref' to the names on the school photo and Irene Howlet ? sure she was in my class  ,she had a slightly older sister Margaret i think,,maybe was her? i was in 2a in 1957.and Miss Parkinson was our form teacher and obviously Mr Bond the Head.

Now when it comes to the Brittons i finished up related to them,,my Uncle off Leybourne Bill Jackson married June Britton,,,and her brother Donald was my Uncle Johns mate (john jackson) for many years,,,other mates of my uncles who lived on Leybourne who your Aunt may know are,,,Charlie Mculloch,,Brian Copeland,,Ronnie Walters and Donald Starkey,,she may also know some of my Aunts who lived on Leybourne,,,all Jacksons,,,Marg,,Gwen,,and Rose.

Then there was big Alma Beadsworth another family mostly Raymede i think,,,Alma scared even the 'Teddy boys'' who thought they were hard,,i loved Alma and was always very polite to her.......lol.  I could go on Mandie,,,hope your Aunt responds would love to converse with her....Edit   I see you live in Wigan,,,worked there for a while,,from an office in Mesnes Park,,,,,world gets smaller don't it...

God Bless Benjamin (Paul)

• Like 9

Wow what a couple of really interesting posts. Well done Mandie and Ben. Its lovely to bring memories to the fore and remember together.

Welcome Mandie hope your search presents more interesting results and please keep posting . Enjoy .

• Like 1
On 8/28/2019 at 4:49 PM, MandieOS said:

Thank you for the thread, it brought back many memories of going down to the shops at Marble Arch with my grandma, and visiting my other grandparents who lived on Orville Road.

Take care,

Mandie

Mandie,, if you look at the thread  Marsdens,,Farrands,,Dewhurst etc,, you will see many references to Marsdens Marble Arch,,,think the reason i knew so many people on Old Bestwood was apart from being born going to school and growing up there,,,i went to work at the Marsdens on Andover road on leaving school in 1960,,,regarding Orville road where your Grandparents lived,,i used to be the Granville with bike delivering,,,and one on Orville road still sticks in my memory.......lady lived by herself name of Mabel Thorpe,,,,couldn't forget her could i'?  she actually worked in the offices for Marsdens on Wigman road,,,,,

Other names living near you on Leybourne that your Aunt may remember...........Clarks lived opposite you Barry and Kathleen,,,Starkey's Donald,,Mrs Witts,,Spencers ,Margaret,,Knights ,,Mick and Roger,, Mick member on here trogg,,Collins,,Michael and John,,,Freestones,,Camm,,Landers,,Twigg,,Copeland Brian,,Walters,,Durhams,,Daykins, Johnnie,,Arthurs ,Terry,,..........these all lived on Leybourne between Hove road and Eardley,,,        i'll shurrup now,,,

I didn't really know who lived on Leybourne, apart from a few who lived between Padstow and Eardley Rd, whose names I no longer remember.  I do recall that a girl I was at Henry Whipple with until 1959/60, called Valerie Benson, lived somewhere along the right side of Leybourne as you go from Eardley towards Hove.

Mention above of the Leonardis.  I remember Brian Leonardi, who's nickname was 'Pud, or 'Pudding' in school. I worked with him briefly on the building of the short lived 'Basford Flats' around 1970.

Ben, you've mentioned an 'air raid shelter'.  I wonder if you or Mandie you also recall the Anti Aircraft gun emplacements on the fields opposite Southglade Road?  Along the field boundary which was more or less where the access to Southglade Sports Centre is now, there was a track next to the hedge, then a low bank, maybe 2 or 3 feet high parallel to the hedge.  Halfway along the field was a semicircular 'bulge' in the banking which I was told was the actual gun emplacement. There were still a few of those iron bars with loops in them for rigging barbed wire. There were also the remains of a small brick building.  There was a similar bank and 'bulge' in the next field  up towards Top Valley.

Not on the fields opposite Southglade Col,,the ones i remember were on top of the hill near where the line of trees stand today and have for many years,, 

Concrete anti aircraft emplacements that were quite extensive,,they were part of our play area,,and nearby were the football pitches that henry whipple played on,,known as the Camp pitches,,which i believe gives their origins away,,

I don't recall those Ben.  But now you mention it, I recall that we used to walk some way from Henry Whipple to football fields somewhere up around Padstow school.  I recall being very upset when I was dropped from the school team.. but there's no doubt that I was rubbish at footy.  I had no idea of tactics and only barely understood the rules. :wacko:

• Like 1

We had a lad in our class similar to that Col,,he never made the school team,,but obviously took part in PE lessons of football,, will always remember Mr Saunders who wasn't really into it either wearing suit and running across the said Camp pitch screaming,, ""Smith,are you inside right or inside left? "" "inside out Sir"" Smith replied,, very funny at the time,,  lol,,

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, apologies for deserting you. Life took over for a few days, then we had family staying, and then my Aunt went away for a break so hopefully everything will be back to normal soon.

I sent my Aunt a link to this thread. She read some of it, then started to tell me her memories, I’ve tried to encourage her to post to you directly and was hoping that she had done when I logged on this afternoon - but unfortunately not.

Nevermind, I hope everyone is well.

Take care,

Mandie

• Like 3

It had to happen in the Nottingham Post is news that they are going to build 350 houses on the Padstow site. I just hope they keep the row of iconic Poplar trees that seemed to have been there all my life and seen from miles around.

• Like 1

Be nice if they come up with a meaningful name for the new development............''Bendigo's view''......or ...''Camp Hill'',,,what you think?

I think your right Ben its a special area to thousands of people, I went to Whipple but not Padstow but I can remember all the playing fields and other areas around there and I would be a shame if it all disappeared into the rest of the area without anything to remember what was there  before. What about Padstow fields. Just think of all the thousands that went through those doors and lifetime friends formed, or in some cases relationships started.lol

• Like 1

When development was first revealed the name Poplar Heights was being used.

Approx 350 homes

93 of which will be Nottm City Homes for rent

Plus a total of 170 other homes in local developments.

Are all the new kids going to be schooled at home, cause there won't be any land left to build them new schools.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2019 at 7:31 PM, benjamin1945 said:

Them photo's evoked some memories of people that have been in my life Trogg..........Uncle's Bill,,John,,Harry,,all worked there,,,along with some School mates,,,

Edit,, think ive mentioned before,,but along those old Railway tracks the ''Master Cutler'' was once re-routed,,,caused by my Dad derailing some trucks in Bulwell Common Sidings..........''Ham Fisted'' must run in the family.................;)

Thought i'd show this again..as its relevant to the other thread regarding the freight lines,,,didnt know how to copy to other thread..........

Only did a week at Marsdens on there,,be about 1961,,,you mentioned your Dad being the Chemist before,,,and i said i probably came across him,,with living near by.,,,,,i do recall the Chemist on Arnold road but we also had one even closer,,on Andover road.

For a smallish estate which Bestwood was back then,,we were well served with Shops,,,

Two Marsdens,,

Two Chemists,,

Two Beer offs

Two Chip shops,,

Two Greengrocers,,

Two Hardware shops,,

Ladies Hairdressers,,

Butchers,,Two

Cake Shop,,

Clothes shop,,

Two Newsagents,,

Wet Fish shop,,.....so thats nearly 20 that were all busy shops for..............the old Estate which only consisted of about 12 roads,,

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

you mentioned your Dad being the Chemist before,,,and i said i probably came across him,,with living near by.,,,,

Bloody 'ell, I must be getting old. My memory's going. I've been on Nottstalgia so long I'm forgetting what I've said earlier.

• Like 1

AH, AH,   Its ok cliff ton...i'm sure iv'e repeated mesen lots of times on here.............mind you,,you are much younger than me...........lol

After listing all the shops for a small estate like Bestwood,,,got me thinking,, it also had,,

Four Schools plus a Nursery

a Coop...

Library,,

Two Bus Terminals  28 and 6,,

Short walk to Bulwell Common railway station

City Hospital near by,,

Doctors surgery.. and best of all 5 minute bus ride into Bulwell town............how many other places had such facilities so local.........

Plus plenty of things and spaces for us kids to do growing up in the 50s,,,,

All the fields between the Estate and Bestwood Village,,,

Bulwell Common,,,Football,,Cricket,,Tennis,,Bowls,, biking and Sledging,,

Surrounded by the Railway lines,,,for trespassing and Train spotting

The old Camp site for anti aircraft guns,,,which were concrete bunkers,,we called the Dungeons,,,

It really was a great place to grow up...........

• Like 3

Ben, wasn't there a coal merchant operating from the bottom of Landcroft Crescent in the mid to late 60's ? I often saw at least one lorry parked up there at times.

On 9/17/2019 at 8:05 PM, benjamin1945 said:

Got it........call it Padstow fields...and build a school perhaps called Padstow.........?             

Wasn't the hill on which Padstow stood actually called Sunrise Hill?  That would be OK too.  I'm now thinking about access. 350 homes could generate a few hundred traffic movements per day. I've just looked on Google Maps and was surprised to see that the only 'vehicular' acess to the site is still the one from the top of Padstow Road.  Those who know the area will know how difficult that can be in bad weather, and it's really not suitable for much traffic.  Maybe a new access from the bottom of the hill somewhere along Eastglade?  That also would generate even more traffic along Southglade and via the 'rat run' round the Gala Bingo to Hucknall Road.   Also these days, there seems to be a general rule not to create new 'through routes', which themselves can become 'Rat Runs'. I'm also interested in how the development might affect Whipple Primary?

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.9966649,-1.1668836,693m/data=!3m1!1e3

As an aside.. I always thought of Landcroft Crescent and Carnwood Rd. as part of Bestwood Estate 'proper',...just.. because they came off Gainsford Crescent.  Kind of a bit 'Injun Country' though.  On the other hand, I seem to recall that Hartcroft, Stevenholme etc., were later developments 'off Beckhampton', which at least to me, made them part of 'Bestwood Park', not the 'Original and Genuine' Bestwood Est. 'proper'.

I'll hand over to the official Bestwood Est. Historian.. our Benjamin... for the 'expert opinion'. :biggrin:

• Like 1

Hartcroft and Stevenholme were later additions as far as I can recall. I knew at least two people who had moved in there, when the properties were almost new.

Up to you Ben !