Another one for Ben.  I recall that somewhere just below the 'bottom' entrance to the Whipple-Padstow complex, along Gainsford Crs., there was a small hill, or bank, on which stood a mast of some sort.  It was often referred to as the Rediffusion ' aerial.  I assumed it received the TV signal that was then distributed house to house as cable 'Rediffusion' TV.  I doubt it's still there.

Edit.  Looking more closely.. on this link you can clearly see the land between the Community Centre and the next house down.  There's evidence of an old gate and some sort of accessto a small patch of tarmac or similar.  I'd bet a pint that was it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.9951636,-1.166157,78m/data=!3m1!1e3

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello,   Thank you for your reply Benjamin, and thank you for the welcome DJ. Both are really appreciated.   I spoke to my Aunt, Mum’s sister, this morning and she maintains that t

I'm back Mandie,,,so much to tell you don't know where to start  lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yes indeed Leybourne drive i'm sure was finished just before the war,,,i recall the remnants of an ''Air raid shelte

I moved onto Southglade Rd. (No. 40) around 1951/2, when I was barely 3. Prevously we lived at 76 Glaisdale Drive, Bilboro. Back then, there was no Beckhampton, no Rise Park, or Top Valley, or Bestw

I think I was still there a couple of years ago, as I remember walking past it, and a couple of derelict buildings full of empty Fosters cans !

• Like 1

Bugger ,,just wrote a gret long piece about all this..........then touched sumat and its vanished........do it again later........shit.............!!!

Ooops!!  Sorry to hear it Ben.  It's a trifle vexing when that happens..  Or so I'm told... I rarely write gret long pieces..  :rolleyes: 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Hartcroft and Stevenholme  are the first houses built on Bestwood Park estate , definitely not Bestwood Estate if you look at the design of old Bestwood to these on Hartcroft they are completely different. The ones on Hartcroft are a post war design compared to the real Bestwood Estate which were designed Pre War.

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

Another one for Ben.  I recall that somewhere just below the 'bottom' entrance to the Whipple-Padstow complex, along Gainsford Crs., there was a small hill, or bank, on which stood a mast of some sort.  It was often referred to as the Rediffusion ' aerial.  I assumed it received the TV signal that was then distributed house to house as cable 'Rediffusion' TV.  I doubt it's still there.

Edit.  Looking more closely.. on this link you can clearly see the land between the Community Centre and the next house down.  There's evidence of an old gate and some sort of accessto a small patch of tarmac or similar.  I'd bet a pint that was it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.9951636,-1.166157,78m/data=!3m1!1e3

That was the entrance i always used for Padstow school,,just below the Nursery there were two houses which were the homes of the school caretakers,,,Mr Sadler and Mr Bonsor,,,,still see Sue one of the daughters in Bulwell............The Mast came after my time there.

Yebbut.. Ben...  The school pathway is still clearly visible next to the Community Centre.  The one I'm on abaaht is closer to the houses next along to the right..  Here's a street view.

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.9950332,-1.1666075,3a,75y,24.96h,84.11t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPTnk8r6aPvsJ-lKziUbKLw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

You can see the school path on the left, with the safety rail to stop Kamikaze Kids from running out under buses.  To the right is the old gate leading to where I think the mast may have been. Still some evidence of something there.  A few old posts etc.  I'll give our kid a call later and see what he remembers, though he's only a young-un at 65.  His wife is a forriner 'cos she came off Stevenholme...  Bloody incomers!! :laugh:

Mr Bonser!! Forgot that name till you mentioned it.  But, in my time,  I recall 'Mr Sadler' lived in the now demolished Caretaker's House next to the 'top' entrance to Whipple on Padstow Rd.  He drank in the Deerstalker around the time it was my Dad's local. Late 1950s.  I remember walking up Padstow one Sunday afternoon and spotting Mr Sadler talking to another chap on the pavement, obviously having just left the pub.  2:00p.m. closing on Sundays as I recall...  I could well have been on my way to Sunday School in the old Church Hall next to St Matthew's.   Anyway.. I was quite shocked to hear Mr Sadler casually  'effing and blinding' to his companion.  Never heard any of that in school.  :)

There was at least one other Caretaker around Whipple.  Seemed a quiet and kindly old chap. I recall asking him his name once at the school Christmas Party .  It was Stanley Blatherwick.  Great name! 

• Like 1

You are right Col. ref caretaker Sadler,,,they lived on Padstow side,,,Sue is his daughter who i see,,and recall her telling me.  Can't recall what the other Path was for....

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I have attached 2 lists of roads in Bestwood  Estate with the residents names from 1953, I think 2 of our members families are on these lists. They may have memories of these people, I am sure some of them were characters and memories like these should not be forgotten.

I have the disc with most streets in Nottingham if anybody wants me to post them .

andover.gif

southglade.gif

• Like 1

Bit of a squint Trogg,,but recognise most names on there,,

Edit,,still see seven of the families named,,

17 hours ago, trogg said:

I have attached 2 lists of roads in Bestwood  Estate with the residents names from 1953, I think 2 of our members families are on these lists. They may have memories of these people, I am sure some of them were characters and memories like these should not be forgotten.

I have the disc with most streets in Nottingham if anybody wants me to post them .

southglade.gif

Fab stuff Mick! I only remember a Manser from the first list. I was at HP with a Graham Manser who lived on Andover. Last seen at the HP Bicentenary Dinner in 2008. He was living in Girvan, Scotland and working in textiles.

Southglade.  Bear in mind that as far as I can work out.. we moved from Bilborough to Bestwood in 1952 or 53. I was born Feb 3rd 1949, so in Feb 1953 I was 4. I suspect we moved in in '52. I recall moving in.  The family moving out were called 'Potter'.  Also recall one day wandering up and down the street 'lost' because I knew there was a '4' in there somewhere.. but was it 40, 42, 44 ? I wasn't in school.

I remember Jaycocks, nice family.  Carlin? Nope.  I'm sure they were nice people but I have no memory. Wakefields? Yes. I was pals with Reggie Wakefield Jr for years.  They got all posh and bought a house somewhere....

Bowlers. Nice

Morris.  Alfie and Co.  Loveable rogues.  I think Ben told us a while back that Alfie had left us?

16. Town.? Nope

18 Rowbotham. No.

Where is 20?

22. Johnson. No.

24 Hollifield. Yep.  Ray was my age and his younger bro Derek.  Still about as far as I know but I haven't seen the since 60s.Part of our 'gang'.

26. I vaguely remember Willoughbys.

28 is Mitchell..who I don't recall. They were succeeded by Chambers. I was at school with their lad and he was one of our gang.

30 'Mayes' Nope.. That was later Armstrong. Dave was also part of our gang.

32. No. I recall a chap called ..maybe 'Simms'? Whatever his name. he didn't like us kids much.

34. Abbot.  Nice family. Dad was a Textile Designer in lace factories. Son was Peter. He was very into arts/crafts etc. He made models. He was fascinated by American Indians and their 'stuff'. He made copies.  Went to the cinema with hm and also rode to Southwell with him on bikes. Genuinely nice people.

36 Barber's.  They had a daughter as I recall.  Ben may recall better.

38. Dunno. Later it was Girling.. Son David and daughter Lynn and a couple more families after that.

40. Yep.. Guilty as charged.. That was us..

42. Gambles.  Yep. Kids were our friends. Christne, Graham and Susan. They got all posh and bought a house on Valley Rd.

44.  Quinney  I don't recall. They were replaced by Sanders.. who took me to Blackpool for a week as a 'companion' to their son Gerald.

46. George Bramley.  Remember him well. Also his kids. I think we've been in contact on here but my memory is so crap these days.

Getting fed up now but I recall most names lower down the list.

• Like 1

We didn't leave, so much as fade away Ben... :).

My late Sister Pam got married and left in 1967, though after moving around a fair bit she ended up on Leybourne from the early 70s and my Brother in Law still lives there. Pam died in 2012.

I started to drift away from about 1969/70 and was gone for good by 1971.

My Dad died relatively young in 1976.  He was 56.

My brother got married a couple of years later and moved up to Warren Wood.

So Mum lived alone there until she needed residential care which would be around 2009.

My brother moved back into the house for the best part of a year while his was repaired after a catastrophic flood destroyed almost the whole of the interior.

When it was obvious Mum was not returning, we sold the place about 2011.

Mum passed in 2015.

• Like 2

The reason i asked col was i had a cousin move onto southglade and couldnt recall whether it was 40 or 44,,it was about 1960,,and must have been 44 then,,their names were Humphries Ron and Brenda do you remember them?

Hi Ben, I don't know that name. Around 1960 it would still be Gambles in 42, Sanders in 44 and Bramley's in 46. 48 was Smith.  I'll ask our kid if he remembers the name.  No. 42 changed early 60s to Beardsley. I think Sanders were still there in 1969 when I got my first car.

• 1 year later...
On 1/26/2014 at 10:41 AM, Cliff Ton said:

An area - and estate - hardly mentioned anywhere in Nottstalgia

Think thats changed a bit now cliff ton.........

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
On 2/28/2017 at 10:16 AM, benjamin1945 said:

Peter Bowles the actor went to High Pavement..........and mentions in his book (although not by name) Bestwood Estate,he lived on Kersall drive,.......and says he..............''Had to go through a rough estate on his way there''................cheeky git.......lol.

On 2/28/2017 at 10:37 AM, DJ360 said:

Peter Bowles.  As you say.  Cheeky Git!!  Kersall Drive/Saxondale area in my memory was little different to Bestwood except not as good  :)

I imagine he would have walked either through Marble Arch or over the crossing at the end of Southglade, neither of which led to particulary 'bandit infested' routes to school.

In all honesty, the only area I was a bit wary of as a kid was 'Raymede Steps' because unless you were actually visiting one of the houses you had no real reason to be there and I always felt like an unwelcome intruder.

Col

Peter Bowles died at 85 yrs. That's approx 12 years older than me. I was at High Pavement from 1960-1965.  Bowles' first year must have been 1948, so he would hardly have gone to  the Bestwood site which only opened in 1955.

Living on Kersall drive and walking thru a council estate to HP Grammar school sounds like Bestwood to me....i'll find it in his book again....You probably right Col...i did say he didnt mention it by name...i just assumed.....

Paul. He was born Oct 1936 so would probably have started school Sept. 1941. ( The Sept after his 4th birthday.) Six years in primary would end in 1947..so he would start at HP Sept. 1947. His basic 5 year secondary would take him to 1952 and 2 years in Sixth form doing A levels would make it 1954.

However..it looks like his family moved a lot so his entry to school could have been delayed. Also his school career could have been extended for any number or reasons..re- taking a year or whatever, and it's not unusual for people to do A level re-sits which would take him to 1955.

Finally..I'm fairly certain the HP Bestwood site opened formally in 1955, but I suppose I could be wrong..or it could maybe have been occupied and in use before the official opening.

It's all very intriguing.

• Like 1