My first memory of any school was the 'Huts'' which i started at in 1950...on the site of what was to be HP....Was there until 52 or 53....before going to 'Whipple'' across the road........

Back in those days before HP the whole site right down to Arnold road was our ''Little Paradise'' for football and cricket...it was known as ''Back Wall''.........After HP was built we still used it and refused to believe it wasn't ours..........lol

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello,   Thank you for your reply Benjamin, and thank you for the welcome DJ. Both are really appreciated.   I spoke to my Aunt, Mum’s sister, this morning and she maintains that t

I'm back Mandie,,,so much to tell you don't know where to start  lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yes indeed Leybourne drive i'm sure was finished just before the war,,,i recall the remnants of an ''Air raid shelte

I moved onto Southglade Rd. (No. 40) around 1951/2, when I was barely 3. Prevously we lived at 76 Glaisdale Drive, Bilboro. Back then, there was no Beckhampton, no Rise Park, or Top Valley, or Bestw

On 3/15/2020 at 3:03 PM, benjamin1945 said:

School-picture.jpg

Grandaughter got this photo on for me,,,twas about 1951 Infant school Bestwood estate,,,May day i think,,,remember most of the names,, Marian Perry,,Roy Burton,,Ann Shelton,,yours truly,,Michael Laurence,,Beryl Hughes,,Roy Wyers,,Val Biddolph...........happy days   

Made a mess of this.......should have been on Bestwood Estate thread ..........wanted to say this photo above or below i'm confused... was taken at the ''Huts'' school about 1951 on the site that was to become ''High Pavement school''..............

• Like 3

Ben, when I was at HP, there were two..or maybe 3 huts just inside the main gate on the left. Could well have been the same huts. As I recall they were used as changing huts for sport and also for a 'Tuck Shop' for break times.

https://secure.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/rollofhonour/WarMemorials/Details/360

On a quick count..approx 100 pupils and 'masters' of HP perished in WW1.

What a waste.

https://www.highpavementsociety.org.uk/index.html

Those 3 huts on the left as you went in were our class rooms Col............the bottom one i remember so well.....it was my ist class..1950.....it had a Coke fired heater in the middle with a long thin chimney up thru the roof............

Our Teacher was Mrs Taylor a quite old lady who was lovely......but she insisted on kissing us every day on leaving......

The Huts were there for many years even when HP was operating......you may also recall also on the left when going in...our open roofed toilets which were up a long alley...

No cliff ton opposite end.... top of Gainsford crescent which is a long hill.............makes me sad every time i drive past the bottom end and see all the new housing.........which compared to the old council houses are Rabbit hutches........

An interesting feature of Gainsford crescent is a wall of Bulwell stone'' that runs the length of it and backs on to what was the HP site...must be half a mile long.......

See my edit Cliff ton........ref the Wall........also on my dancing photo you can just make out a bit of the Wall..............

Right... Here is the area formerly enclosed by Ben's 'Back Wall'. It was the site of High Pavement school..mostly clutered close to the Gainsford side.. with extensive playing fields 'terraced' on several levels and stretching down to Arnold Road. The Houses adjacent to Gainsford Crescent, to the south..are the original Council Dwellings, which had the 'Back Wall' to their rear. Inside the wall, the huts were to the left of what is now 'Pavior Road', which itself is more or less where the HP entrance was. To the right of Pavior Road as viewed.

The rest of the housing within the curve of Gainsford Crescent is newish and at least some of the roads are named after former teachers who I knew. Those names I don't recognise might also be of teachers from before or after my time.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9934138,-1.1658769,607m/data=!3m1!1e3

The names I recognise are Murray, a dour old Scot who taught History, Davies, who was Head for my first couple of years and went on to be Director of Education, Jackson, who was my House Master, Blackburn, who I recall taught Metalwork and Engineering.  I recall Crossland, Millidge and Mardling, though none taught me.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

No cliff ton opposite end.... top of Gainsford crescent which is a long hill.............makes me sad every time i drive past the bottom end and see all the new housing.........which compared to the old council houses are Rabbit hutches........

An interesting feature of Gainsford crescent is a wall of Bulwell stone'' that runs the length of it and backs on to what was the HP site...must be half a mile long.......

Ben, has the wall survived the re-development of the HP site?  I've  been looking on street view but can't see any evidence of it.

Just had a look on google myself Col....and sadly YES looks like the wall has gone.............

I am a very sentimental bloke and having scanned the area feel very down............must say its upset me.......

Ben, You still have your memories and no-one can demolish them!   Don’t visit there again - just remember how it used to be when you were young x

• Like 1

I must admit that I too can get very sentimental about the whole Bestwood area. The view from the main classroom blocks at both Padstow school and HP was fabulous. 

• Like 1

They certainly were Col..........

Looking South..........The City

East......countryside

West......Wollaton

North......Bestwood colliery and beyond...which i imagined to be Yorkshire.........

Plus always remember Mr Thomas our brilliant Geography Teacher...telling us that Padstow school if you travelled in a straight line Eastwards..was the highest point until you came to the Ural mountains...of Russia.........

• Like 2
2 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

They certainly were Col..........

Looking South..........The City

East......countryside

West......Wollaton

North......Bestwood colliery and beyond...which i imagined to be Yorkshire.........

Plus always remember Mr Thomas our brilliant Geography Teacher...telling us that Padstow school if you travelled in a straight line Eastwards..was the highest point until you came to the Ural mountains...of Russia.........

Wollaton, Ben, SSW?

As for the Russians, it would nice to poke something sharp up their Urals.

• Like 1

I hate to be negative Kev, Paul.. but that wall is on the Padstow School side of Gainsford Crs., between the Community Centre and Landcroft Close. The grassy empty site of the former Padstow  School is visible behind. The High Pavement site was on the other side of Gainsford Crescent, though that does not necessarily mean that all of the wall has gone.. we just haven't found it yet.

To be honest, those walls were pretty ubiquitous around the area when we were kids, so that I often didn't even really notice them.

The pic of myself and my late Sister in Andover Road in 1955 has us standing in front of a similar wall, of which bits still exist I think.

Here..I've tracked up Gainsford Crs. to where 'Pavior Road' is situated very close to the original HP entrance.  The developers have clearly found space for a new build house on Gainsford in what was originally I think a grassed area either side of the school entrance.  But, there is a section of wall..to the left.

What do you think Paul?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9950439,-1.1672671,3a,82.3y,183.82h,83.97t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s1sOcJiblVQo7a8TWbrTMdA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Note that the wall has a green metal fence raised higher above it, which is visible all around the boundary between the old Bestwood Est. and the New build..so it is possible that there are other sections of wall elsewhere.

Lots of walls here in Landcroft..

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9950038,-1.1647902,3a,75y,18.38h,99.37t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sL9cVjAfVwrfrCSyBEK4uZw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Padstow Road:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9953286,-1.1708898,3a,75y,325.91h,96.9t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s9jKj5ouQ-CP9-TJ5WQDZpQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Raymede Drive:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9972526,-1.1724606,3a,75y,226.7h,93.29t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s3bdmISDxlkJt4lldhSzzMA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

Former 28  Bus Terminus in Leybourne Drive:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9978,-1.1729124,3a,67.2y,189.53h,88.56t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNZ0bzSOrNbgqZeQvDpTD9A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

And finally the section of Andover Road where the ic of me and my Sis was taken in 1955.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9953935,-1.1774159,3a,75y,80.49h,82.66t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sr64k8foACiw-VexmL0PtgQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

• Like 1

So many memories of old friends and relatives there Col........i'm depressed again.......

But no matter how it will hurt me   i must go and see for myself........

• Like 1

Hi Ben please don't get depressed so many things change as our margie change. 

Just a little story Saturday we had a family meet up which was t the old Town Arms Trent bridge, now my son and family picked us up from Jacksdale, and they did not know which/way or what roads to take, we never said a word. anyway we went through Gregory Bvl /past Forest/Huntindon St /past  old Gpo / past old market/ vic swiming baths/ wash house / and so on. Now my master lived in that area and I also are from St Ann's so it was like going out to play, but there is my gradson telling us all about the area,  to quote a younger person as if we have never lived. We tried to tell him that we knew the area like the back of our hand but must admit the buildings have changed. AHHH !!! biess my grandson.