Hi DJ those Google pics you posted took me back in time, those Bulwell stone walls were all around Bestwood Estate and I must admit when I lived there I never took much notice of them. But seeing them now , the same as Ben they remind me of people and events of that era, thanks for posting them.

• Like 2
  • Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello,   Thank you for your reply Benjamin, and thank you for the welcome DJ. Both are really appreciated.   I spoke to my Aunt, Mum’s sister, this morning and she maintains that t

I'm back Mandie,,,so much to tell you don't know where to start  lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yes indeed Leybourne drive i'm sure was finished just before the war,,,i recall the remnants of an ''Air raid shelte

I moved onto Southglade Rd. (No. 40) around 1951/2, when I was barely 3. Prevously we lived at 76 Glaisdale Drive, Bilboro. Back then, there was no Beckhampton, no Rise Park, or Top Valley, or Bestw

Another bit of Bulwell stone that I remember from my childhood. Though not Bestwood, but Radford, at the bottom of Denton Street where I lived until 1957. The green area on the right is the grounds of Christ Church. I can very vaguely remember the two council house being built. Melissa.J will know these two. I used to scramble along that dividing wall as a kid. B.

Screenshot-20220322-094934-Maps.jpg

There’s Bulwell stone to be seen all around the city. I remember my father sending me to McCarthy’s quarry in Bulwell in a Bedford van to select and pick up some walling stone when I was 17, during the school summer holidays. We were building a rockery at our house.

Been up Bestwood estate this morning..............the wall seems to be intact.........went up the entry where i used to climb over in the 50s.......took some photos of the exact part of the wall i used to scale...(photos to follow).......

Funny enough the entry we used to call ''Wallheads'' after the family who lived there.....not the wall........

Seemed strange going up there after all these years.....memories of the people who lived there came rushing back........

Wallheads......Johnny...Roy...and Barbara....

Tomlinsons.......only remember Margaret (dated for a while)

Crowle's..........Irene...Eric..and Mick

My visit has stirred all sorts of memories.....won't go again........

• Like 1

Be nice for one of the people i mentioned ref the entry....to read what i put........

Got little memories of most of them......

Margaret....dated for short while.when i was 16....last saw her about 40 years ago...in Long Eaton where she ran a Pub with Husband John.....who i also knew in teen years.......

Barbara.......Never did date.......she must have turned me down..Last saw her when she worked behind the Bar in the ''Half Moon'' Pub in Hucknall...70s i think..........

Johnny......Told me JFK  had been killed......1963 last time i saw him getting off a 17 bus thats when he told me........

Mick and Eric not seen for many years....

Irene.......one of my first teenage crushes....Last saw her in Coop House where she worked in the 90s........

• Like 1

Is this Bulwell stone?  

Paul and I around 1976 outside my childhood home on Woodthorpe Drive.  It was still there a couple of years ago when we drove past....

A47-F014-E-58-A0-4966-95-EF-2-CB35486-AF

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1
On 3/22/2022 at 11:42 AM, benjamin1945 said:

Be nice for one of the people i mentioned ref the entry....to read what i put........

Got little memories of most of them......

Margaret....dated for short while.when i was 16....last saw her about 40 years ago...in Long Eaton where she ran a Pub with Husband John.....who i also knew in teen years.......

Barbara.......Never did date.......she must have turned me down..Last saw her when she worked behind the Bar in the ''Half Moon'' Pub in Hucknall...70s i think..........

Johnny......Told me JFK  had been killed......1963 last time i saw him getting off a 17 bus thats when he told me........

Mick and Eric not seen for many years....

Irene.......one of my first teenage crushes....Last saw her in Coop House where she worked in the 90s........

BC64A9A4-CE1C-4865-A40E-8744E163C260

C6C6006E-3389-4FC0-9DDF-384E346B234C

EDC4EBF6-E74C-44DD-BFB3-E1430311553D

The entry on Gainsford cres. opp the shops.......where we used to access the area of land which was where HP school was built and is now crammed with housing.....we used it in the 1950s for football and cricket......the bottom picture is the exact bit of all i climbed over all those years ago........

Took the photos last week..........

• 9 months later...
On 10/18/2015 at 7:41 PM, taxi ray said:

I am surprised that nothing has been built on the site, it looks so desolate now.

A date has been announced and building on the site of Padstow school  commences later this year......with new houses...

I am surprised that only 3 of us on here seem to originate from Old Bestwood estate.....also i seem to be the only one thats ex Padstow.....

I must admit i get too sentimental about the old school and Bestwood in general....so much so that my happy memories (probably a bit Rose tinted'') tend daft enough... to make me sad when i venture up there now........

With this in mind i thought i would record on here something about the old school and larger site that needs recording for 'Posterity'' before its completely forgotten (if its not already).......

Our first school football pitch about 1950 was a couple of hundred yards from where Padstow stood next to 'Henry Whipple school'' and it was called the ''Camp Pitch''........i can only guess as i have heard nothing for sure that its name originated either from a 'POW' or Army camp''.......Perhaps @dj360 Col can help.....also adjacent to the Camp pitch were some concrete bunkers which i was told when i was about 5 (1950) that they were the remains of an ''Anti-Aircraft'' site.......these were quiet extensive and went underground a few feet.. and as kids we enjoyed exploring........obviously something was demolished near abouts as the Camp Pitch'' was very dangerous with pieces of concrete..Glass..and bricks just half under the surface......wouldn't be allowed today...and we certainly wouldnt slide on our Knees after scoring a goal...........sorry for the long post but had to do it dont want it all forgot.............

• Like 3

I don't think this has been posted before (the clarity is a bit dodgy), but it shows several features which Ben mentioned.

kyLZFr4.jpg

Gainsford Crescent curves in at the bottom. Several schools are shown but not named.

There are two disused military campsites - one on the left and one on the right - and a 'Gunsite' in the top right corner.

• Like 1

The School on the left is Henry Whipple Infants School, in the middle is the Junior School and the one on the right is the wooden hut which has been mention before, I never had any knowledge of it being a School   only knew it as a Community Centre. But I am sure Ben can tell us more. But it is a great map.

• Like 1

The one on the right Trogg was a nursery school in my school years...later became a Community centre..

Straight opposite this across the road was where the main Huts (school) was.......from memory 6 huts...

This was my first school.....even recall some of the teachers names

Hut 1/   Mrs Taylor

Hut 3/  Mrs Jervis

Hut 5/ Miss Blackborn......

Headmistress Mrs Townsend

We even had a school 'Pianist'' Mrs Gernill......lovely lady.........

Funny what you recall. even from 1950.....Miss Blackborn must have liked me.......she gave me an American forces Bible....bet that could tell a tale..........:rolleyes:

Thanks Kev......that map answers my Query ref Army Camp and Anti Aircraft Gun site.........roughly in the middle of the map is a long oblong shape with what looks like Trees......they are still there... and with it being high up can be seen for miles...i hear there is a movement for them to be kept in Situ'' when the building is complete...........

• 2 months later...

Hi all. Just wanted to say I’ve just spent a happy hour reading all the messages on this post. I was a Reymede Close boy until my Dad died when I was 5 and we moved on to Top Valley a few years later (1978 Ish) but I loved my time in Bestwood and at Henry Whipple. The smell of the dinner block still sits with me today and is one of the few smells that brings genuine happiness. 
Regarding the railway tunnel to Hucknall Road I remember going to the fishing shop that used to be next to there on the right as you walked down to get his maggots. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, FatGandalf said:

Hi all. Just wanted to say I’ve just spent a happy hour reading all the messages on this post.

That's the kind of comment which justifies the existence of Nottstalgia.

Those of us who've been here seemingly for ever sometimes forget that a random 'stranger' will come along and be fascinated by an old thread which will spark all kinds of memories for them.

• Like 1

Use to live on Denewood crescent early 1970b, went to that school at the top of Denewood,  players I think can't remember , but remember it was the year racehorse  Persian war ridden by  jockey Jimmy uttley won the champion hurdle , I was horse racing mad in them days , all started watching me Dad on a saturday cursing at some horse because it got beat by a whisker ,

Got caught at school I was sitting at the back but instead of concentrating on English lessons,  I was perusing tomorrow's runners and rider in the nottingham evening post , they had a tipster called Donovans selections I remember it well , and the clip around the ear from the english teacher too !

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Believe it or not when Bestwood estate was built in mostly the late 30s every front garden was planted with a blossom tree.....and by the time i was growing up they had matured and in the Spring it was a wonderful site just to walk down the street,,,,,,, tall-jacaranda-trees-lining-street-johannesburg-suburb-afternoon-sunlight-tall-jacaranda-trees-lining-street-163657016.jpg

I was around Clifton a couple of weeks ago and noticed how many large mature trees there are now; far more than when I was living there in the 1960s. It's become a surprisingly green place.

Everything that was planted in the 50s and 60s has grown and become established.

• Like 1

@benjamin1945, nice picture Ben. That's one of things I remember about driving up Aspley Lane when the Cherry Blossom was out. A wonderful mass of pink and when it was windy, as it always was then, you'd be driving on a carpet of pink. Very pleasant scent too.

• Like 1