• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello,   Thank you for your reply Benjamin, and thank you for the welcome DJ. Both are really appreciated.   I spoke to my Aunt, Mum’s sister, this morning and she maintains that t

I'm back Mandie,,,so much to tell you don't know where to start  lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yes indeed Leybourne drive i'm sure was finished just before the war,,,i recall the remnants of an ''Air raid shelte

I moved onto Southglade Rd. (No. 40) around 1951/2, when I was barely 3. Prevously we lived at 76 Glaisdale Drive, Bilboro. Back then, there was no Beckhampton, no Rise Park, or Top Valley, or Bestw

2 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Not sure you've interpreted it right Col.

That image shows the area north of Arnold Road, including what used to be the site of a school playing fields (I think High Pavement). It's now all been built on. And it's full of flats ............. https://goo.gl/maps/QR6jnp1rjHjNveEe6

This is very odd Kev...

On my phone, the link Stuart posted took me to a close up plan view of the junction of Hucknall Rd and Heathfield Rd.  I checked it several times... And it is STILL doing it..  This is what it shows..except in plan view...

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.9897082,-1.1656909,3a,75y,270h,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s7PmvaAX77jClmZ_LGZTbTw!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3D7PmvaAX77jClmZ_LGZTbTw%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D339.07776%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

Your link took me to a (I think) 'streetview' of the bottom end of 'Pavior Rd' etc, from the other side of Arnold Rd.

Now I'm on the PC, Stuart's link does take me to the plan of the area enclosed by Gainsford Crescent, which as you correctly state is the site of the former High Pavement Grammar School and its playing fields.

I'm very familiar with that.. because I went to HP, as well as being raised on the 'Original and Best' Bestwood Estate, where Benjamin and Trogg were probably the 'bigger boys', who I ran away from..:mellow:.

That area has been built on for some time now, though I didn't realise that a lot of it is flats, because I've mostly seen it from ther Gainsford Crs. side. Of course 'Pavior Rd' is a 'nod' to the old school, as too are several streets named after long serving, even legendary teachers at the place. Mardling and Crossland were legends, though neither ever taught me. Murray taught History and insisted on reading dry, dusty tracts from age old descriptions of ancient battles involving the Greeks, Persians, Romans etc.. in his clipped Scottish accent. Davies was a highly respected head who went on to become Director of Education for Nottm. Blackburn was my House Master.

I visited High Pavement just before it was demolished and alongside others, including aged teachers, and even a couple of elderly ladies who had been pupils in the brief 'Co-Ed' phase in the (I think) 1920s and 30s, we sang the school song for one last time..  It was very moving.

https://www.highpavementsociety.org.uk/HP_SONG.mp3

So anyway..yes.. Margie's Grandson may well have found accommodation there and I'm sure he'll be fine.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, benjamin1945 said:

.driving past now makes me so sad.....

Me too Paul.. me too...:(

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

Me too Paul.. me too...:(

Me to, I didnt recognise the area at first, it shows how long it is since I have been down that road. Your Grand son seems to have chosen a nice place to live Margie. 

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

When I click on Stuart.C's link, this is what I see.

rvJF2bw.jpg

It's weird Kev, but then my Samsung phone does weird things...

P.S. At the top centre of that pic is the site of the old Padstow School, also now being built on.  Some of those who get into those new properties will have stunning views for miles.

Just to the left, it's just about possible to make out Henry Whipple Primary, which Ben, Trogg and I all attended and which is still open as far as I know.

On a clear day in the 50s looking North from Padstow school we thought we were looking at Yorkshire........whilst looking south we saw the Trent uni building going up........plus on still evenings anywhere on Old Bestwood you could here the 'Council house clock' striking.....

I've mentioned before that our Geography Teacher the great Mr Thomas'' told us that the school was the highest point if you travelled East until you came to the ;Ural' Mountains in Russia.......all this fascinated me and caused my great love of all things Geographical ........

• Upvote 1
24 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

up........plus on still evenings anywhere on Old Bestwood you could here the 'Council house clock' striking.....

We could hear Little John striking when I was a child on a quiet evening but, if we did, my mother always said that meant it was going to rain. I suppose it was the direction of the wind.

Thanks Jill.........yes 'Little John''..........i had forgot its name....memory not what it was.....

These are a landmark for Bestwood estate and especially Padstow school...been there forever it seems..and can be seen for miles around  a promise has been made to keep them............346982655_222075733890591_72246111758103

13 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

....plus on still evenings anywhere on Old Bestwood you could here the 'Council house clock' striking.....              

13 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

We could hear Little John striking when I was a child on a quiet evening

In certain weather conditions (very still, no wind) we could hear the clock striking on Clifton.

I really do struggle......when passing the old estate..and the people i knew and loved......i'm much too sentimental....must be my age..........

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Yes, Ben. I think it is an age thing. I used to tease my father about his frequent trips to Beeston where he grew up and his constant memories of his childhood. Now I'm doing the same thing and those memories are extremely powerful, aren't they?  I can hear him laughing!

• Like 1

I might've posted something similar before, but this is the area before the first Bestwood Estate was built. The road running horizontally across the centre is Arnold Road, with Hucknall Road coming in from lower right. The open fields would soon to be filled with housing.

YGRgoOx.jpg

• Like 1

Tell you what CT., that picture shows where me and my brother used to visit the Heathfield hospital pigstys, when we were recovering from Gastroenteritis, back in c1954. You can clearly see the railway line coming under Arnold Road from left to right. We used to look out the window and see the steam locos and then we'd count the coal trucks as they passed by. Thanks for posting it. It was a real memory blast. (I'm going to screenshot it and print it).

Cheers.

@benjamin1945 I love that ‘memories’ song you posted but it also makes me feel sad when I think of all the people I used to know in my youth.  It’s also strange to think that when I was growing up in Woodthorpe, I was only 3 miles away from

many of you Bestwood boys (you would all have been a bit young for me to notice though, even if our paths had ever crossed :) )

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Even remember the roads they lived on....well most....Pastow road..Teviot rd...Southglade...Andover...Raymede drive   Andover again and last Sandra on Arnold road.. 379989014_10228513929664922_693397622796

The girls in my class 1959/60 Padstow.........L TO RIGHT back row

Sandra Woodcock..Lesley Norris..Brenda Smith...Marian Perry...?

Front row...Kathleen?| ...Joan Wardle   Mr Bett...Jean Duriez..Sandra Wilson...

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Got to be honest, but I've never heard of mixed classes in senior school. At Radford blvd., we were two seperate schools with our own access. Boys entrance was on Salibury street and the girls and infants was on Ilkeston road, where the 39 bus stop was. Ours was just a gate and steps up to the playground. Now, on Google it's shown as a car ramp.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Это пипец! Хочу оставить негативный, но честный отзыв про Sushi Family (суши фемели). Сегодня, на Сухомлинского 44, Днепр, в Sushi Family, в сет "Хочу Сет", накрутили старую копченую рыбу с соответствующим запахом. На горячей линии мороз полный: сперва звонит типа "представитель службы контроля Светлана" с номера 068 3652337 и "пытается" уладить проблему, предлагая завтра отправить роллы на экспертизу!!!!! Да вы в своем уме???? При этом, "работник службы контроля" по голосу, темпу и построению речи ну очень похож на даму, которая выполняла наш заказ. Затем, с некто Светлана решаем, что приедет курьер, который заберет заказ и вернет деньги. В итоге ни курьера ни денег.... С...ки изгадили единственный выходной

UPD: наслушавшись телефонных рассказов и ухмылок, получив полный посыл "нах" и игнор от мадам Светланы (да, эта особь таки реальный спец по контролю качества), таки зашли в точку, где делали заказ. И выяснилось, что никакой курьер за деньгами на возврат не заезжал, все прекрасно осведомлены о проблеме. Нужно отдать должное хлопчику с рыжей бородой (Денис) - понюхав роллы, признал, что запах тухлый, позвонил менеджеру, которая послала его нахрен... Понимаете, за тухлые продукты менеджер посылает сотрудника прямым текстом, подводя его под статью!!!! Заодно наслушались агрессивных нападок барышни, которая, собственно, и выполняла наш заказ. Там был полный ассортимент угроз - от вызова полиции до личных разборок. Агрессивная мадам чуть поутихла только после начала видеосьемки происходящего.

В общем, отзыв про Sushi Family (Суши Фэмили) таков: обойдите десятой дорогой, если вам дорого ваше здоровье и ваша жизнь. Предполагаю, персонал имеет возможность класть в роллы низкокачественные продукты, которые не подлежат контролю. А это прямая угроза вашей жизни в угоду копеечной выгоде на сэкономленных продуктах. И обратите внимание - отделу контроля ПОХЕР на качество продукции. А если проигнорируете негативный отзыв про Family Sushi, будьте готовы, что в Суши Фэмили вас будут игнорить на всех уровнях и делать из вас лоха

Мадам Светлана, это только начало, дальше будет разнос в социалках и т.д. Кстати, начнем с facebook или с тиктока, где тусят (уже не) ваши клиенты? И, конечно же, ждите в гости санстанцию - там эксперты проверят и продукты, и тараканчиков... Ну не надо обманывать и игнорить клиентов. Эхх, мадам, вы же все равно вернули деньги, но с матюками и нервами, а ведь вам предлагали просто заменить сэт...

UPD2: чеки, фото, видео предоставлю всем желающим по запросу в личку

https://www.otzyvua.net/sushi-family