I've never been to one, but my son and girlfriend go to them when they are auctioning off storage lockers. This weekend they got a unit for 1 dollar, it had at least 1 couch and 2 TV's in it.

Only seen storage sales on TV ,dont you think that the ones on tv are fixed there always seems to be something in the corner covered up thats worth a bit and they always seem to know the value no matter how rare

I often go to Arthur Johnstones. You rarely get a bargain these days because we all use Ebay and everyone knows the price of everything.

As for storage lockers, a couch and a TV? They usually get dumped at the side of the road here. Why pay for the pleasure?

• Upvote 1

Shout me Bilboro Lad if you do happen to find another. Just shows you DJ still bargains to be had, I went to auction at the Gateway Hotel where TVs and Laptops were fetching more than they cost in the shops. and the auctioneer told them so , but it made no difference lots were still fething above shop prices,happy days for someone,

Used to go to a weekly auction in a little church hall near Trowell that was run by the people who ran the waste disposal sites. It was full of the stuff that people throw out - anything from vacuum cleaners to kids toys, furniture and TV sets to watches and jewellery.

At one auction, I got a large pile of Star Trek magazines for a quid. Put them on eBay and sold them for £70.

What amazed me, though, was that people would throw away perfectly serviceable items rather than get them fixed. Dyson cleaners for example. These always went for decent money at auction (£20+) because they can be fixed and resold at a good profit so easily.

do you mean wendys sales never went to one of her sales but know her from her shop in ilkeston and her stall had a few bargind if her repro french dresser 20 quid had it about 15 years now nice table and 6 matching chairs 15 quid at the end of the night dont think she wanted to take it back sold it to a friend who was desperate for one for 25quid

Yes, it was Wendy's. Friend of ours had a little bric-a-brac shop in Netherfield for a while and used to go to Wendy's to buy stock, which he then sold on for a small profit.

His main selling line were children's Cozy Coupe cars. :)

I should add that the storage units my son and his girlfriend bid on, have nice stuff in, which they clean up for their own garage sales. Money from these goes in the holiday fund. It's amazing that folks will pay rent on these units with all their worldly goods in, and then quit paying for whatever reason, and walk away from it.

• 2 years later...

Going to collect a guitar  this morning from John Pye auctions Marchington. I see that their Nottingham HQ is in Shippo's old works.

Do they hold a good auction there? The weekly ones in Marchington are well worth a visit.

Guitar is a 'traveller' model for my son at about half retail price.

The one in Shippos used to do a lot of catalogue returns and Currys returns etc. They were good but have more recently tended to go online as well as live and seemed to go very expensive. I was making money out of it but stopped going about 5 years ago as no longer viable.

• 5 years later...