Voluntary work

When i was forty i heard an add on Radio Trent Derby asking for people to raise funds for McMillan cancer nurses, so i rang up and volunteered to walk to Skeggy that turned out to be the easy part going door to door for 2 months before and after collecting sponors and money i raised £3500 .Radioo Trent covered my walk and i was approached by Derby Lions to help them raise funds,i did and they elected me social officer that was a role where i would go out and assess people that were requesting help not all were genuine .Has anyone else been a member of a voluntary Club,.Incidently door to door was a topic covered recently and this shows that some people are happy for you to knock on their door for the right reason ,but then again it was 20 years ago.

my voluntary work started from when i was about 13 when i joined the red cross and was a member unti after i got married we did first aid and nursing duties at many diferent places and events and ofcourse on flag days we would be out and about collecting in carlton mapperley and city centreidid some of my nursing duties at mapperly hostpitaland the old general hostpital on james fourman ward.

in 1966 i did a volunteer first adider job at st georges park carlton rd at their playscheme the first but certainly not the last playcheme i volunteered at in 1980 i started helping to run lenton playsceme and ended up running it for 13 yearsas well as helping run the over sixties and mums and todler groupsat the community centre all of this involved fund raising too after the death of our baby son from a cot death i became one of the founder members of the nottingham cot death support group and was a member for over 15 years untill we disolved the group over that period we helped raise over one hundred thousand pounds for reserch into cot death as well as making people aware of it and promoting the sleeping on the back for babies campain.

• Upvote 5

quite a large group of parents grandparents and relitives of babies who had all died of cot death a lot of hard work fundraising by every one and yes it was a great amount of money raised but you would not belive the amount of people who belived then that these children were killed by one or both of their parents at one time when a baby died even the police treated the place were the baby died as a sceene of crime untill the postmortem had been caried out. many parents had an awful time i was very luck the police man who came to see us was attached to the coroners office and was very respectful.

To ioose a child is the ultimate fear ,people can kind of understand but of course you can not really know how that feels unless you have gone through that pain, and to have the added burden of finger pointing must be absolutely horendous,but the positive side is that for people to give the sort of money raised show that most people are right behind you in your grief,

thats true but a allso a lot of hard work by the members of the group we used to do at least one event a month jumble sales autoum farye spring fete quizes we also housted 3 james bond film premiers in nottingham and had cerlebrity guests such as torvil and dean , bill tidy naughty nick from coronation st dr who star colin baker came to several of our events as a cot death parent himself and later when he became the president of the foundation for the study of infant deaths after the retirement of lady limeric.

• Upvote 1