Hot Dogs and Hamburgers

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I am glad you liked the post. Thank you for your comments.

#2 Micheal Booth Enjoy Hong Kong

I am afraid Hong Kong is changing rapidly. More and more mainland Chinese are moving to HK for work. It is now getting hard to find a Taxi driver who speaks English and in the night markets the vendors use their calculators to show you the price of something.

#3 cliff ton

Thank you very much for the link. I will try it later.

#6 Carni The motorized carts sold only boiled products. But the best Hot dogs and hamburgers in my opinion were from the push along cart which offered fried hotdogs and hamburgers with real fried onions. They were more tasty, I even ate one of each of those every night.

#18 Bazza Thank you I am glad my you liked my post. We must have worked the area at about the same time 63-64. I can see, you understood who I was talking about.

They definitely were the good old days.

#27 Katyjay I really liked the video.

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

#21 - The Belvedere was upstairs in The Windmill, corner of Pilcher & Fletcher Gates. The only way to get a drink after normal closing time (10.30 those days) was if you were eating. So mushy peas was the Belvedere's way of serving drinks 'til late.

The first time I met my future wife was in the Bodega one Friday night & I was very impressed by the fact that when chucking out time was called, she knew to go to the Belvedere so that we could get another drink (or three). You only had to buy the peas once, not with every pint! (and the jazz sounded ok too by that time).

Sorry to disappoint you but...I worked at the Belvedere for a while...They didn't have a late licence ...The lager was a Carlsberg variety that was less than the alcoholic limit.The cider was the same,but they didn't advertise the fact. Nobody got a short or a beer after 10.30.

I remember trying really hard to get my Mam to buy me a little snake from a Pet shop or stall at Central Market about 1961/2. I think it was on the outside somewhere, I didn't get one. Mind you, probably for the best, with six kids in the house, the poor thing would more than likely have been cuddled to death!

• Upvote 1

OK poohbear if you say so. I'm talking early 1967 and I would've thought any jazz club worthy of the name would be open after 10.30 on a Friday night. Obviously I must have been too p'd to notice the time!

Sorry, ignore last post, cut & paste a problem.

Just found this - your post re Belvedere - 19 October 2010 - 10:03 AM

Albert Whitehead ran it,Marilyn was his girl friend.Free entrance packed it out after the pubs shut.Licence was 10.30 but they served lager and cider after hours...well Carlsberg 2% rubbish and apple crush,but the ****heads didn't know the difference after a night in the pubs.Bowls of peas and curry flew out.Through the air too sometimes.Best toilets in Nottingham if you were wearing wellies.

Glad to see my memory's not playing tricks after all - we could get a "drink", albeit low strength, after other pubs closed at 10.30. My wife was adamant when I questioned the facts a few minutes ago. Phew......

Nothing wrong with your memory...it was open late,just no proper booze.The boss Albert was the jazz enthusiast,but while partly successful it never really took off.So it finished up as just another place to go after the pubs shut. And if your face fitted you could also go just down the road to the Caribbean Club if you liked Jamaican music.

Good memories there, doubt if any of those food stands would stand todays criteria.

Another favourite run of mine was to walk up Derby road from town, down Alfreton Road and Hyson Green, if early enough pick up some chips. Then along Radford Road and up Egypt Road to home. Never once did I have any trouble just merry folks in their cups all going home.

Wouldn't do that run now without a 12 b

My dad (1915-2004) grew up on Egypt Rd and my mum (1918-2011) met him when she lived on Liddington St.

My paternal grandfather came to Nottingham from Gloucester as a navvy to help dig out the railway line into Nottingham Victoria before working as a stoker at the Gas Works.

My great grandfather apparently had a grocers shop on Egypt Rd.

This was all a very long time ago but NewBasfordlad might find it interesting.

Back to the original thread

I used to pester the life out my dad for a hot dog when we were returning from the football through the old Broad Marsh bus station in the early 60s but he never relented.

I similarly used to pester him for a drink and/or cake from the old Broad Marsh café but the answer was nearly always no because my mum had tea prepared for our return.

I also recall Walls used to sell hot dogs inside the football grounds in the early 60s. They always smelled delicious.

Many years later when I worked in the food industry I discovered what poor quality meat was used in the cheaper hot dogs and how the addition of the smokey flavour used to disguise it.

If you read the ingredients list of supermarket hot dog sausages you'll see a lot of them are based on chicken rather than pork meat.

If you want a quality hot dog I suggest you seek out the German ones in jars. They're bigger too.