Hot Dogs and Hamburgers

In the early sixties I had a part time evening job. (between the ages of 16 and 18 years old)

Does anyone remember the white hot dog carts powered by an electric motor? Worked with one for 18 months, one of my pitches was at the point of Central Market in full view of the palis De Dance ( not sure of the spelling now) Every Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights I would be standing there rain, snow or fine. You will remember that we served up the boiled sausage with dehydrated onions in fresh, non sesame seed, buns. It was the mustard and sauces that gave them the flavour. I enjoyed the job because there was the opportunity to meet many different types of people of all ages. I had my regular customers who would often stay to chat. No one complained about the food, I think some had had too much to drink and didn't care what it was as long as it was something in their bellies. It is surprising how many secrets were told to me. Non of which I will put into writing here as some of the people may be reading what I write. And the sights, maybe I should start another topic and Call it "Nottingham - Behind the scenes". One thing I can remember, there was very little trouble in the city in those days, and I stayed out until late most nights. There was one time when a person tried to rob me. Came up opposite me, across the counter with a knife. He asked for my money, but the cart was between him and me so I felt brave. I refused to give it to him, he yelled at me about 3 or 4 times to hand it over but I kept refusing. In the end he gave up and walked away. When I got back to the depot, I heard that one of the other carts, down near the bus station, had been robbed.

After that I moved to another pitch in Broad Marsh, Wow, When I first set up there, what a sight. being young and innocent this place really opened up my eyes. Broadmarsh after 10pm was a totally different place with many a colourful character. Totally different type of clientele. (I will let your imaginations run wild on who my customers were Broadmarsh? Sixties?). But to be honest, I could not have found nicer people. We were workers, we were regulars in this area, we looked after each other. And many of them became good friends. They always had money, so I never judged them. Many a cold night they would come over to my stand with a cup of hot tea or coffee for me, have a hot dog and a chat, and then be on their way. In fact when the police visited Broadmarsh, my line of customers would grow very quickly. They were not loitering, they were waiting to buy. The police knew some of them and after they had bought a hot dog they were told to move on. About 50% of my sales came from police visits, but not one hot dog was bought by the police. The good old days. Occasionally the police would stay and chat for a little while then head off. within minutes of them leaving Broadmarsh livened up again. You could expect a visit from them at least once or twice a night. But except for the occasional drunk who was maybe causing problems, I never saw them arrest many people. It was more, be good, move on.

It was in Broadmarsh where I met my next employer. His name was John, a real hippie type of person. He drove a Harley Davidson motorbike with a side car (I think it was a late forties bike with a gear stick coming up alongside the fuel tank) he had his own stall (not motorized, but it was white too). He built is own hot dog stalls and he had a better product, Deep fried hotdogs and hamburgers with real fried onions. I took over one of his new carts and started pushing in on the white motorized carts. With these carts I moved back to my old Central market site. I got a lot of my old customers back and continued to enjoy the work (not work, FUN). The time I am talking about was around 1964-66, If you came across a guy about 6 foot 2inch tall selling hot dogs or hot dogs and hamburgers then you may be an old customer of mine. Most of my customers knew my first name. So I can soon tell if you were a customer of mine.

These memories only returned in detail last night, so I just had to share them with you. If you liked the article please add to it. If it bored you, I will not apologise, as I have enjoyed writing it. Well I must go to bed now. I am going shopping in Hong Kong tomorrow. Only one day. Be back soon.

Would love to see some old pics of Broadmarsh especially night time pics.

• Upvote 12

There used to be a club at the entrance to Vicky centre cant remember what it was called ,anyway a guy used to stand round there selling hot dogs,he wasnt 6ft 2in but he was scruffy but hot dog fine after a few drinks,think the drink killed the bacteria

Me too,

Every other Sunday night from1963 to1966 I would dash for the late bus leaving Huntingdon St and the smell always tempted me, if I was not skint (Not very often) I would have a hot dog, trying not to dribble on my best and only coat. I know they were only boiled sausages and dried onions, but plenty of "Red Sauce" and they were very welcome, especially on cold winter nights. Were the Burgers boiled as well? We always enjoyed them anyway. :) :)

Probably bought a few from you over the 63/64 years on my way to Huntingdon street bus after a date. Like you said, a very different time. Rarely saw any trouble and never felt unsafe walking around down there. Thanks for jogging some good memories.

Great days when one could walk home in the early hours and feel totally safe.

I lived in Wollaton when I was in my teens, and never ever had any bother walking down Ilkeston Rd to the Rodney, or walking down Derby Rd to the Priory, then up the Vale. Most of the times I had had a lot to drink, so would have presented an easy target. However, people were much more considerate and non-confrontational in those days. I wouldn't walk through my local area at night nowadays.

Good memories there, doubt if any of those food stands would stand todays criteria.

Another favourite run of mine was to walk up Derby road from town, down Alfreton Road and Hyson Green, if early enough pick up some chips. Then along Radford Road and up Egypt Road to home. Never once did I have any trouble just merry folks in their cups all going home.

Wouldn't do that run now without a 12 bore.

• Upvote 1

#4 Is that the Mansfield road entrance to Vic Centre? It was Tiffany's when I used to go there. Don't remember hot dogs being sold outside though, mind you my clubbing days were a bit later, in the mid to late 70's.

The night club at the entrance to the Vic Centre was the Intercon, I saw the Glitterband there one night, minus the paedo.

They had quite a turnover in managers. John Truscott and John Bowers were two of them, JT had a Triumph T110 and JB had a Vincent Black Shadow.

'Barrow Boy' Tony used to sell hot dogs outside the club at one time.

• Upvote 1

I remember going to a party at John Truscotts parents house in the early 60's. Many ex High School boys there. Plenty of drink.

THANKS Darkanza its been doing my head in trying to remember, mainly disco when i went73 74ishit was tiffanys i recall.Oldace what years did you go.

Andy, Intercon was the first club that was opened there, by the clock tower. It opened I reckon around 1972. I went to the opening night with a friend who worked for the Nottingham Topic ........ we got in for nothing and were invited to a private party in one of the side rooms and enjoyed drinks and nibbles, my friend left the party with jars of caviar in her handbag !!! Pans People were there and I think Lou Christie was the main act, though it might have been Hot Chocolate because I do remember seeing them there too.

Andy, I frequented the Intercon from 1972-76.

Basfordred, I too went to parties at the Truscott house on Alexandra Street in the 60's. Some on the forum may remember John's brother Don Truscott who worked for Radio Nottingham in the 70's. The third brother was Charlie, I last saw him in the early 80's.

LIZZIE M I think it may have been the intercom when i first started going but memory a bit jagged ,am i right in thinking it was downstairs, i think oldace must have gone there before i did.

Carltonlad,I was piisin myself laughing when you mentioned the Broadmarsh clientele.I probably served those same er...customers when I was a barman/bouncer just up the road at The Horse and Groom.

Baz :ninja:

General question , but TJ your links to local tories might help,in the early seventies there was a small club bar in the lace market ,it was up some stairs and was located just outside top end of broad marsh turn right opposite side of road, it was nearly on the corner, was it stoney st ? anyway that club was owned by Albert Whitehead a local tory from Wells Road who i mentioned before stood in Bridge Ward and lost ,however he also owned a restaraunt a bit further up opposite side of road going towards back end of the Council House , the reason i thought you might know TJ ,the resaraunt was used for a Monday Club ,which is my other question what is or was Monday Clubs. If anybody remembers restaraunt or club names it would save my little brain a lot of work

a charlesworth, this should answer your question regarding The Monday Club.

Conservative Monday Club

Founded 1 January 1961 originally as the Monday Club, it adopted its present name in 1996. The Club is named after the day of the week of its lunchtime meetings at the house of its first chairman and represents the traditionalist right-wing of the Conservative Party. It rallied opposition to the new policy of decolonisation announced by Conservative Prime Minister Harold Macmillan in his ‘wind of change’ speech to the South African Parliament in Cape Town on 3 February 1960. The Monday Club played a significant role in Conservative politics until the end of the 1970s. It was initially preoccupied with issues of law and order, race and immigration, and Rhodesia and South Africa. Since the 1980s the Club has been consistently opposed to Britain’s membership of the EU.

The Club’s longstanding links with the Conservative Party were suspended on 18 October 2001 by Iain Duncan Smith, the party leader at the time, because of its views on race and immigration. The Club advocated a policy of voluntary or financially assisted repatriation of ethnic minorities to their countries of ethnic origin. This policy was removed in August 2001 from the Club’s stated aims on its website after BBC's Radio 4’s Today programme pointed out that it was the same as advocated by the British National Party

• Upvote 1

Albert Whitehead ran the Belvedere Club, it served mushy peas and jazz.

He also ran the Lantern Lodge on Fletcher Gate, next door to what was to become Warro's Wine Bar.

The Lantern Lodge later became Frodo's, and later was known as Brummies, Pete Smith was DJ there, I sometimes spun the vinyl in his place when he was absent.

• Upvote 1

Bloody hell Oldace youve got a good memory and you are spot on ,on both counts ,i ,would never had remembered ,Did you know Albert was standing for meadows ward,He was a really nice chap can you remember his girlfriend ,Marrion or Marylin.I remember my mum trying to get my brother into Roland Green ,but she lived wrong side of meadows,.. i told Albert he said ridiculous and within a short period of time our kid was in Roland Green.After him his mate stood for Bridge Ward, i cannot remember his name but he also had a club in the Lace Market called Pharoas or Pyramid again i cant quite remember ,did you know of it Oldace.

Thanks Lizzie glad you can spell Pharoahs ,i remember the guy that owned that club driving around the meadows in a brand new Audi only bettered by a bloke on Bathley Street, car spares Champion i think, driving a new Mercedes sports,they stood out from the recycled wrecks we bumped started,the air con in my mates cars were better though ,it was all automatic it came through speicially designed holes in the floor,quite clever really because it let the petrol fumes out of the same hole .