Pete Seeger R.I.P.

R.I.P. Pete Seeger, one of the soundtracks of my anti establishment folk music period in the early 60`s, especially Little Boxes, where they're all made out of ticky tacky and they all look just the same!

R.I.P Pete, he laid down the foundations for a genre of popular music that is still around today.

In my home town, there is a little old lady who tuned 99 this last NYE, and she still ten-pin bowls every week, still drives around town in her car. In fact she just renewed her driver's licence for another 5 years. I want to be like her! Sharp as a tack and very active at a grand old age.

• Upvote 2
  • 3 months later...

Pete Seeger headed the greatest of all folk groups, the Weavers. Looking at the tracks on the CDs I have of them there are numerous titles that were made famous by others artists after the Weavers had recoded them. They are;

Wimoweh (recorded by many), The Roving Kind (Guy Mitchell), Midnight Special, Bring me a li'l water Silvy, Rock Island Line (all Lonnie Donegan), Wreck of the John B (Beach Boys), Around the corner (Eve Boswell). Such was their influence.

The Weavers toured Britain in the early 1960s and I went to Sheffield to see them. When I got there the first house was cancelled, and not wanting to be stranded in Sheffield late at night I caught the next train back to Nottingham, arriving in time to catch a Midland General bus in Broadmarsh to take me to the Log Cabin at Watnall for the last pint!

• Upvote 1