A friend of mine and I were talking about the cinema he told me you went to the cinema with a glass jar to get a discount off your ticket(this was along time ago.) Like to know if anyone has any memory's like this?

I vaguely remember this - I think it was a jam jar and it was for the kids Saturday shows.

And me Mick2me,

Then we would take a bowl to the ice cream shop and have it filled with delicious old fashioned icecream.

Shears,

I just Googled......Jam Jars and Cinema's. Quite a bit of information came up, and it seems to be correct. Though i don't recall ever queing up at the Regal and Ritz on a Saturday Morning with my Jam Jars.

Anyone in their late 50's 60's would have been brought up as recyclers before recycling had been invented....LOL

Remember the old saying??? "Mend and meck do" ??

Mum always used a shopping bag as all women did when they went to the corner shop. Beer and pop bottles had a deposit on them, milk bottles washed and left on doorstep.

Greaseproof bread wrappers used to pack our snap in, newspaper ended up as squares in the bog, or taken down to the chipshop.

List is endless and goes on and on.

• Upvote 2

My gran lived in old St Annes and I remember walking with her across her street, Corporation street at the bottom of Sycamore road, to the beer off and taking an old screw top cider bottle and the chap filled it from a pump on the counter and he also used a copper funnel I think.

I got a bag of bulls eye's as well, and a bag of Smiths crisps with the salt in a little blue bag.

Remember going to the Beer Off with an empty lemonade bottle to get it filled with Shippo's mild for me grandad. I bet you can't do that anymore?

I can remember going to the beer off with a jug & a damp tea towel(cover) to get two pints of Shippo's mild for my maternal grandparents.(yes gran like a drop too.)

This was in Radford in the late 50s early 60s.

• Upvote 1

The practice of selling loose Beer and Sherry was still going strong to my knowledge in 1982.

We had run a Mitchells and Butlers Beer Off for 10yrs and our customers used to bring their bottles in for us to fill.

We sold Spirits from the Optics; Mild and Brew xi from the old fashioned pulls ( I developed a good a sized mussle in my right arm), we then went electric and used the Co2 gas which made it easier. Also we sold, Sweet and Dry Sherry and Ruby Wine from Barrels. When we handed the tenancy over in the Spring of 1982, the new owners carried on with the practice, but I don't know for how long, I do know it was still very popular when we left.

When I worked at the Co Op (1965-1969) as an order boy, we sold sherry by the pint, half pint or bottle! However, even then the barrels were plastic bags in a cardboard box!

I remember taking pop bottles back to the shop for the money back, and my mum still has milk delivered in bottles which are washed and returned (In fact she had a note from him the other day saying that he now has to run it as a franchise)

And who remembers collecting silver milk bottle tops for Blue Peter's guide dogs?....I sent off loads of them to be recycled into the guide dog.

I remember around 1964 my mum taking a bottle to the off licence, having it filled with some kind of Sherry?

it was called 'Wine from the wood'

When we first took over the shop (I got the dates wrong it was 1973 to 1982), we sold the Sherry and Ruby Wine from plastic bags inside boxes the same.

At some stage we changed over to Blue Plastic Barrels with a tap, and paid a £5 deposit.

• 1 month later...

Recycle bin day today and I always recycle what I can . I wash jars, cans , yoghurt pots and food containers etc and always remove Sellotape from cardboard boxes. I had some self assembly patio furniture delivered in two boxes the other day, so I removed the tape and folded the boxes flat so it ended up as two items 4ft x 2ft and 1ft x 3ft. I left them propped between my fence and the bin. Did they take them, did they f**k. They are useless bone idle w***ers. So I've had to cut the boxes up and almost fill the bin which won't be emptied for another fortnight. No more washed cans and jars, they can sort them at Eastcroft, that's if I bother to recycle them.

I'm pi55ed off for the day now. I'll shut up as folk might think I'm "whittling". I'll have another strong coffee then I'll be OK.

I will Jackson, I've just topped up all the bird feeders, and have just seen the most amazing array of sparrows, tits, blackbirds and robins. Plus a black cap which is not very common in Basford. I've put fresh niger seed out too, so I may see some goldfinches.