Best Reds game you attended?

Riddo, I don't bother with football anymore as its not the game it used to be, but like you, I remember the 1967 season and especially that Everton cup game. They were the sort of goals that made football exciting. Everyone just stood there gobsmacked. I enjoyed that Mam United game same season. It was very hot that day and City ground was over subscribed. Everyone - fans, coppers - everyone was going down with the heat. My mate ended up in the medical room bless him. They were days when football was exciting.

Like Bilbraborn I don't care much for football these days. The game has been destroyed by that evil megalomaniac Murdoch, the ridiculous influx of oversea players, the obscene high wages and the play acting to obtain penalties and free kicks. Look at a Premiership team these days, full of players with unpronounceable, forgettable names, falling down in the box when they get as much as stared at ( how would they cope with Norman Hunter, he'd be banned for life these days ) and as for the wages, I see that the moron Rooney looks set up for £250,000 per week!

Back on topic, back to realistic days, best match, Forest v Man U, 28th October 1967. The teams full of household names and internationals, all of them British or Irish, the skill level was incredible on both sides, Forest the runners up and Man U the Champs, the same team going on to win the European Cup that season. Who can forget Grummit's save against Denis Law, both him and the legendary Bobby Charlton shaking Grummits hand afterwards. Bakers awe inspiring performance earning him two goals and Bestie's amazing dribble and goal to give Utd hope, what a match, 3-1 Forest, nearly 50,000 in the ground, reckoned to be more as many climbed over the wall into the Trent End.

The Mackenzie Cup Match against Man City was bloody good, definately a close second, again, all round sportsmanship, Franny Lee running across the pitch to shake Duncans hand afterwards, a bloody cold day, did you know the match was free, admission charges weren't allowed on a Sunday then, you had to pay for the programme instead to gain admission.

Sorry to say it, my favourite match has to be Leeds V Notts County in the League Cup circa 1974. I was taken up to Leeds in his Ford Anglia by my keen Notts fan pal at Trent Poly after lectures. The mighty Leeds, Bremner, Lorimer et al at home against a depleted, lowly Notts side short of their irreplaceble midfield duo of Masson and Probert due to injury. The atmosphere inside the ground was terrifying, but Sirrel got his tactics right, Madeley and Bremner were running nowhere, dictating nothing and Scanlon scored an unforgettable winner. What saved our lives going back to the car afterwards was my ability to fake a Yorkshire accent.

All proper stuff, not the crap you get these days, though I must admit I did enjoy watching Forest on the box stuff West Ham the other week.

• Upvote 3

Oh yes, the influx of foreign players has killed the prospects of England winning anything.

Also the paraphernalia they dress in Lycra leggings, nylon polo necks, mittens, extra T shirts, tights.

The weather as it is, can you imagine the likes of Kenny Burns, Larry Lloyd, Ian Bowyer or Peter Withe dressing up like that. I remember a night match in the late 70's, Sunderland I think it was, sleet horizontal into their faces but not a man flinched. I recollect one of the first big name foreigners at Chelsea was Frank Le Bouffe wore a nylon polo neck jumper in September for Gods sake. Soft w***er.

• Upvote 1

I was talking to an old lady in her 80s today in a care home where I was making breakfasts and she was quoting the 1959 cup final team and her eyes glazed over when she remembered Jack Burkitt collecting the cup. I used to love the stands and being part of the Trent - End 'choir'. I echo all that Pete says about modern football. It is a complete sham full of 'I love me' players. I have no time for them.

• Upvote 1

It was by no means the best game Forest game I saw, but the FIRST one was when someone took me to see them play Crystal Palace away in the FA Cup in early 1965 (lost 3-1).

Team was:

1. Peter Grummitt

2. Peter Hindley

3. Dennis Mochan

4. Henry Newton

5. Bob McKinlay

6. Jeff Whitefoot

7. Ian (Storey-) Moore

8. Colin Addison

9. Frank Wignall

10.John Barnwell

11.Alan Hinton.

No substitutes in those days!

Roy Horobin (ex-Notts) was in the Crystal Palace side.

As a football supporter you realise it's a sign you're getting old when players you remember seeing play have retired as managers - i.e. Addison and Barnwell.

I used to like to go and see Forest play occasionally, but all the fun went out of it when Brian Clough became manager and they started winning things (hehe!)