45 years and you feel old???

It is 50 years since they toured down here in Australia - and our family beat them out here by a couple of months.

• Upvote 1

45 years and you feel old???

It is 50 years since they toured down here in Australia - and our family beat them out here by a couple of months.

And Australia sent us Rolf Harris in revenge. ;)

• Upvote 2

And Germaine Greer, another oddball !!!!!

Also Clive James , irritating sod.

When I see modern 'pop stars' I often wonder if its now my age that makes me feel we are in a 'talent vacuum'.

Then I realised, we really are in a talent vacuum. There is not the diversity of highly talented individuals anymore.

If they exist they don't seem to come to the fore.

• Upvote 2

Imagine..... all the talent that has crossed there !!!

When I see modern 'pop stars' I often wonder if its now my age that makes me feel we are in a 'talent vacuum'.

Then I realised, we really are in a talent vacuum. There is not the diversity of highly talented individuals anymore.

If they exist they don't seem to come to the fore.

This is a commonly held misconception, that music just isn't what it used to be.

Firstly, our appreciation of music depends largely on how much attention we pay to it. Generally we are far more aware of current music from our teenage years until marriage ruins our social life so that period tends to be our favourite. You will find people decry any music outside of that and the era will depend on their age.

There has always been plenty of dross in the charts, for example, the week TOTP launched in 1964, the charts included

Maria Elena - Los Indios Tabajaras

Kiss Me Quick- Elvis Presley

Not Too Little Not Too Much - Chris Sandford

All I Want For Christmas Is A Beatle - Dora Bryan

At The Palace - Wilfred Brambell & Harry H. Corbett

Country Boy - Heinz

Whilst the Beatles or Elvis may never be surpassed, most other bands/singers are better in memory than reality and we tend to forget their less memorable releases. I have, for example, every A and B side released by Motown from Marv Johnson - Come To Me in 1959 up to PJ - TLC in 1971 (WHO?). I have to say, 90% of the collection is garbage just like 90% of all music always has been. In 45 years time, those artists with merit today will be remembered, the rest forgotten, just like people extol the virtues of what they remember from the 60's and forget all the rubbish that was around. Heck, we may even have a local lad who will be remembered in Jake Bugg.

• Upvote 1

You're right DJB, there was always dross in the charts. However some of those you mention are so called "Novelty Records" and there will always be those coming out, but as you mention, even established "stars" occasionally brought out crap. Beatles, Elvis, Stones were no exception . I was always a fan of groups such as The Yardbirds, Who, Kinks, Small Faces, whose records are still played on air 50 years after release. The lifespan of groups today is about three years. (thank God)

It's pitch correction software and over compression that has made all modern music 'plastic'. Can you imaging Dylan with pitch correction?

Look at how the Beatles changed popular music from '63 to '70. No modern band is doing anything at all transitional. Modern music is rubbish.

Oh and Jake Bugg is boring and useless when his pitch correction software is switched off. Let's get back to talent being the critical factor, not hit factories.

• Upvote 3

Stock, Aitken and Waterman and that egotistical, self promoting f**kface Simon Cowell have a lot to answer for.

Oh and Jake Bugg is boring and useless when his pitch correction software is switched off.

He doesn't use pitch correction software as you'd know if you'd heard him live as often as I have. He's hardly a product of a hit factory. He made music in his bedroom till he got some airplay on radio and it's talent that's got him where he is today. The other day his manager was with Sly Stallone and Robert De Niro and Sly asked to have his photo taken with Jake. We should be proud of him as a local lad, not invent crap about pitch correction.

And Basfordred, there have always been bands who disappeared after a year or two just as there are now bands like Radiohead (formed 1985), Foo Fighters (formed 1994), Coldplay (formed 1996) etc. The Yardbirds lasted 5 years with an ever changing lineup, The Kinks a mere 8 years first time around, and the Small Faces were only around for 4 years. See how we judge our own era differently and a tad unfairly?

I was on about popularity mainly, not longevity, but point taken.

However, Jethro Tull are still going I believe, as is Paul Rogers of Free / Bad Co and the great John Fogerty of CCR. Real talent.