Have a great time Melton, Tull are one of the best bands I've ever seen . Ian Anderson is one of those charismatic and engaging front men that are vital to music. Even though I've seen them many times and the many differing lineups,I'm always impressed with their musicianship and professionalism. Great songs too, Locomotive Breath, Livingin the Past, The Witches Promises, Thick as a Brick, Steel Monkey are some of my favourites. Glad us oldies still get out for live music, there is NO substitute. In the last few years I've seen Paul Rogers / Bad Company many times, Steve Earle likewise, The Blues Band with Paul Jones, Nazareth, Robin Trower, Rodney Crowell, The Groundhogs featuring the great Tony McPhee, Queen with Paul Rogers, Joe Bonamassa who is a big Rory Gallagher fan.

As I've stated elsewhere Rory Gallagher was my all time favourite and I've seen most of the top acts over the last 50 years or so and nobody comes remotely close. The rapport he had with the audience was incredible, his enthusiasm and charisma were mind boggling.Nobody in the business ever had a bad word to say about him, even though the band were one of the hardest drinking bands of the 70's it never interfered with their playing. He never swore, took drugs or indulged with groupies. However, some promoters grumbled that they couldn't get him off stage even after three hours. A True Gentleman.

• Upvote 1

I was not saying there was no crap in the 60s DJB, however if I have missed any recent talent can anyone direct me to the modern versions (and individuality) of the likes of Santana, Led Zeppelin, Wishbone Ash, Temptations, Four Tops, Otis Redding, to name just a few?

• Upvote 1

Music changes, evolves and reinvents.....today I love KIngs of Leon, Greenday, My chemical romance,Lords, Gabrielle Aplin, professor green, Tinnie Tempah just to name a few....I still listen to the great music of the past alongside the new.....

Most people (not all) tend to regard the music which was around in their teens as being "that's when it was good music with proper songs - not like the rubbish of today". And the older they get, the more they can't get on with contemporary music.

In 20 years time, the teenagers of today (whose music is disliked by their parents) will be passing the same judgement on the music which their own children listen to. "I remember the days when we had proper songs from real singers like Tinie Tempah and Busta Rhymes"

It's an endless cycle. Adults in the 1960s would complain about the noisy, rowdy Beatles who didn't record 'proper' music like that turned out by Frank Ifield or Doris Day. The children of those adults are the ones who now tell us that the Beatles were better than anything today.

It's summed up with the saying....."you can tell when a person got married - that's when their record collection stops". And it's true.

• Upvote 2

Yes, music does evolve and reinvent, but I'm stuck in a time warp. There is a dearth of good "Beat Groups" around, however, two spring to mind, Davey Knowles & The Backdoor Slam and The Oli Brown Band. Some good CDs by these two. Plus I've always been into guitar oriented groups . Not many Beck, Page or Gallaghers around today. No doubt someone will disagree and post a whole list of aspiring axe men.

Someone mention Lieutenant Pidgeon? I went to visit my wife in hospital after she had our first child in 1972 and there on the common room TV no 1 on Top of the Pops was the said group doing Mouldy Old Dough.

I nearly forgot. That same year I was on the buses at Partick Garage in Glasgow. The depot was on the next street to where Middle of the Road actually lived. Regulars at the Partick pubs we used to drink in.

Can I throw a reverse challenge. Who were the 60's equivalents of Avicii, Skrillex, Dizzee Rascal and Beyonce? Their versions did exist but you have to understand what different genres and artists do to make the connection. There is no intrinsic difference between polka, charleston, trad jazz, big band, rock and roll, northern soul, disco, house, trance and dubstep. They are all the same thing for different generations, music that makes you want to dance. Similarly, in my opinion, if you like Led Zeppelin then you should also give Rossini a go. There are only so many things music can do and so many emotions it can inspire. every generation has slightly different forms of those genres. The artists you admire would all tell you that their heroes were from a generation earlier. The Beatles would cite Chcuk Berry. Led Zeppelin and the Yardbirds would cite people like RL Burnside and Robert Johnson. All music stands on the shoulders of it's predecessors.

Let me ask this. Do you remember ever playing the same record 10 times on the trot? Would you do that with the same record now? Why not? Is it music that's changed or have you just grown up and stopped loving music as you did when you were a teenager? Mick asked where the modern versions of Santana, Led Zeppelin, Wishbone Ash, Temptations, Four Tops and Otis Redding are. Firstly, the Temptations and the Four Tops are really bad examples as they were just as much a product as One Direction are now. Their songs were from the Motown stable, mostly by Whitfield and Strong and their careers were carefully managed. The current generation will remember the Foo Fighters in the same way we do Led Zep and using a soul singer like Otis is hardly reasonable when soul is not really around any more. If he grew up today, he might win the X Factor a la Steve Brookstein and never be heard from again. Santana were of their time just as Gotan Project are now. BTW I worked with one of the current lineup of Wishbone Ash at the weekend. Great guitarist.

Re # 31, I remember when Ready, Steady Go was on TV on Friday nights. I'd rush home from work, bath then a good fry up before embarking upon a night on the juice. Dad would sit there throughout the programme muttering continually. He thought any bloke who's hair touched their collar was a raving pooftah. However in later years he saw Alan Price on the box and declared "By God he can sing".

Then when I was watching Creams Farewell Concert from the Royal Albert Hall some time later he saw Clapton and was knocked out by his playing. White Room and Spoonful I think. God knows what he'd think of Elton, Freddie or Will Young.

The word of reason again DJB. As I've said previously, I'm in a time warp, I can't help it. I'm just like dad was fifty odd years ago. It's just that in the early 60's, everything seemed so new.

Everything was new in the 60's. The whole idea of teenagers, teenage music and fashion only really came into existence in the late 50's. We had pirate radio, more money thsn our parents at the same age, and a lot more freedom. Of course it was an exciting period. All I'm saying really is that everything seems new and exciting to today's teenagers too. I love the massively increased amount of music made today and the unbelievable access we have to it. I remember listening to Radio London closing down and wondering how else I could listen to pop music. It must be great being a teenage music fan now.

DJB. I like quite a lot of modern music. Not keen on rap. But I can think of two things here. My teenage grand-daughter says she always grabs 50s, 60s and 70s music if she wants to hear anything romantic. The other thing is my collection of Beatles music on my hard drive. As I work in many different restaurants, hotels and canteens I meet many different people. Who are the ones who bring me a memory stick to install copies of my Beatles music? Well they are nearly all under 30 and many of them teenagers.

I have memories of my dad belting out Al Jolson numbers on the piano on Sunday evenings.

I think these appalling "talent" shows are bad for "real music". They are all clones. Most are clueless no hopers. I always reckon you should pay your dues by hammering it up the motorways for years gigging night after night.

Funny but I never heard my dad swear before he saw Mick Jagger and The Rolling Stones. I think that music for teens is a form of rebellion. If mum and dad hate it then all the better.

No matter. I will always love Rockn'Roll. (too old for dancing to that I think)

• Upvote 1

DJB

I note that some of your post appeared to be in Chinese to me :)

It is a few years since I was putting vinyl on the turntable down the slipper.

Where I could fill the floor with 'Love Train' and 'Feel (your knees) the need in me'

However I may give ratings to any Youtube tracks you can post.

I think these appalling "talent" shows are bad for "real music". They are all clones. Most are clueless no hopers. I always reckon you should pay your dues by hammering it up the motorways for years gigging night after night.

The trouble with the TV talent shows is that they persuade (mainly,) youngsters they are going to be a 'celeb' to the exclusion of any other ambition or career move; another reason why so many of them select drama / media / entertainment courses as major subjects.

• Upvote 1

DJB

I note that some of your post appeared to be in Chinese to me :)

It is a few years since I was putting vinyl on the turntable down the slipper.

Where I could fill the floor with 'Love Train' and 'Feel (your knees) the need in me'

However I may give ratings to any Youtube tracks you can post.

Is this the 'Dancing Slipper'? I remember 'stomping' to traditional jazz there of a Saturday night. Fair shook the garage doors below!