What was hanging on your walls?

in hour house in nevo we had the old oval mirror with oak frame it was very heavy. on the opposit wall was the 3 flying ducks my brother had won at the fair the only other thing was the picture calender given to her by the tally man ever year thats the only things i can remember any were in our house

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This was not on my wall, but this battered old mirror hung above my G-Parents Hearth In Chatsworth Avenue, Carlton. It was a Wedding Gift. When G-Ma passed away, it would have been thrown away. So I

When I was in my late teens 60-64 my bedroom wall was covered in beer mats(450) and pics of Brigitte Bardot, Marianne Faithfull, The Stones, and Pretty Things. I left home for about six months in 65 a

Mantle piece clock, mirror above, horses, trout and a plaque on the wall, probably a windmill or waterwheel scene, the ornaments bought on the last holiday. I will say for the Goose Fair ornaments, th

Posted Images

im just the oposit lots of pictures in my house 3 original water colours 2 painted by friends one of newark lock painted by one of my friends dadsone painted by my friend lesley of a motorbike and side cat with two people on going away from you the numberplate sez babs 60 that was my 60th presnt from her suposed to be me ain the sidecar abd piggy ridding it. the oth is a man sitting fishing at the side of a lake we found it in a second hand shop down the grean when we first came to live here it was already in a good frame cost us 2 quid the frame alone whould cost more than that. in thedinning room i have got three prints of old notting ham in frames one is the castle one trent bridge the other says the trent at wilford it could be the old ferry. cottage on far side and people getting in a rowing boat but carnt see the church,

Can I extend this thread to "....and also on your mantelpiece".

This is me in the mid 1950s, and the style of clock might be familiar to many Nottstalgia people. The item on the far right was a wooden elephant; next to it an owl; to the left of the clock a photo of me; and the extreme left is an ashtray with an eagle hovering over it. I suspect many people had a mantelpiece with similar works of art.

mantel1.jpg

Very familiar - especially the clock. We had one like that in the back room. On the front room mantlepiece was a Napolean clock of about the same size, that belonged to my grandma.

Then there were various brass ornaments - two pairs of candlesticks (large and small), an ash tray in the shape of a yacht, lamp and a pair of little jugs (the candlesticks and jugs have just surfaced in our latest house move - together with an old tin of duraglit !)

I bet there was not many mantel pieces or window sills that didn't have a pair of "Wooden Deer"on show, they were all the rage in the 60s. The Car Boot Sales and Charity Shops usually have them for sale now they are not fashionable, Plus the little brown china ponies and Horses or Dray Horses pulling a Cart with Barrels. I almost forgot In the living room on the one wall we had a Cuckoo Clock, I think we wound it up by pulling a chain down with a weight on one end, (Not sure about that).

#28, Sorry Cliff Ton I have got to say...What a little cutie.

Just remembered, we also had a few horse brasses hanging on the living room wall. It was Stephen's mention of Duraglit that reminded me. Cliff, you've not changed a bit ......

A little off topic but if you will indulge me...............Darkazana's story about her Falstaff picture reminded me of an event back in ROT at the Kennels. We had a large framed sepia photograph of Grandma in her younger days on the sideboard in the hallway.

It was school holiday time and I was in the kitchen, as was Mum and my Dad was down with the dogs.

It was just after 9 in the morning when there was a loud crash from the hallway. Mum went in to check with me following bravely behind.

It was the picture of Grandma that had fallen forward and face down, flat on the sideboard top. That picture was not a lightweight and although seemingly impossible; it had moved upright and then fallen forward and...had not broken the glass.

We had a telephone call about an hour later from the woman herself advising that Uncle Harold, the husband of her daughter Madge and a Fireman at Boots in Beeston had been found dead in bed.

He had worked a night shift, cycled home and after a while had gone up to bed. His wife had made him a cup of tea and took it up to the bedroom and found him dead in bed......still warm.

And the time.....the clock on the mantelpiece was chiming 9 as she walked through the lounge to go upstairs!

Pictures falling used to be recognised as a sign of someone about to die, though I don't recall anyone dying when Falstaff came off the wall, having said that I was abroad at the time and it was quite a few years ago.

#30 Carni, I also remember lots of wooden elephants adorning peoples sideboards or windowsills to show they had been abroad

Talking of ashtrays, what about those on a stem to stand by the chair, with a thing in the middle that you pressed to make the ash and nub-ends spin down into the container beneath ......

:) Talking about mantle pieces: my mum and the neighbours around, kept immaculate, well dusted, well attired mantle pieces: brown clock in the middle, lots of brass at both sides, spare coins at the end for emergencies - Boring. And then one day a miracle happened:

a family came to live a few doors away and the way they decorated their mantle piece was revolutionary, caused a sensation: for decked all along the mantle piece were budgerigars living in fancy cages - complete with all the rubbish that caged birds throw out; naturally, we kids couldn't keep away from the place - oh the fresh air of something different!

Hanging on the walls in our front room when I was a kid, were photos of the family and watercolours painted by my mother, they seemed to cover 3 of the walls and the forth wall was covered in shelves full of books, the bottom shelf housed a set of The Encyclopaedia Britannica.

My bedroom had posters of singers and peace posters on the walls, my guitars also hung from hooks on the wall, and my Mum seemed for ever shouting "Clean your bedroom it looks like a pig sty".. :)

I think all mothers worked to that script in those days. We were too busy listening to music etc to do anything boring like cleaning our bedrooms.

• Upvote 1

As an apprentice painter and decorator, I was asked to paint some strange colours in rooms during the 60s',and hang some awful looking wallpaper.

These were done as side jobs.

A gal I was dating, got me to paint her bedroom black with white ,orange,purple,and lime green geometrical designs, with bright red woodwork, (door, window frame,and skirting boards).

• 6 months later...

Well 6 months later and I am at Mums today waiting for her to finish getting ready to go shopping when I looked across the room and saw Falstaff on the wall, which reminded me that I was going to put a copy of it on here for you Mick, so here it is: sorry it's a bit big, I must now learn how to shrink the pictures!

2014-08-13_14-59-54_768_zpsead2876e.jpg