What was hanging on your walls?

In the early 1960s my dad decorated the wall around the fireplace. He put a big picture of a mountain scene on the wall and surrounded it with stone wallpaper, carefully cut to look like a hole in a stone wall, with a view outside. It was awful!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This was not on my wall, but this battered old mirror hung above my G-Parents Hearth In Chatsworth Avenue, Carlton. It was a Wedding Gift. When G-Ma passed away, it would have been thrown away. So I

When I was in my late teens 60-64 my bedroom wall was covered in beer mats(450) and pics of Brigitte Bardot, Marianne Faithfull, The Stones, and Pretty Things. I left home for about six months in 65 a

Mantle piece clock, mirror above, horses, trout and a plaque on the wall, probably a windmill or waterwheel scene, the ornaments bought on the last holiday. I will say for the Goose Fair ornaments, th

Posted Images

Mantle piece clock, mirror above, horses, trout and a plaque on the wall, probably a windmill or waterwheel scene, the ornaments bought on the last holiday. I will say for the Goose Fair ornaments, they were great as chalk when marking the pavement for games!

• Upvote 2

we had a photo of a crinoline lady I think it was made from silver paper on a black background, I think my father brought it home from

his time in the navy.

why is it when you hang a picture straight and and sometime later its crooked?

Sorry Karlton,read your post as 'someone' instead of 'sometime' must be me on the 'sherbut'

Alright.....own up! Who had the "Green Lady" on the wall then...

Karlton #54: Hang the picture crooked and maybe it will end up straight a few minutes later :)

Remember in mum's lounge she had one of those bloody big "sound of music" type murals on most of one wall ! I hated it. Don't think dad was too impressed, but even then a happy wife was a happy life :-)

I had big posters of a Royal Enfield Bullet and a BSA A10 Road Rocket, Oh and a picture of the new Aerial Leader Twin. Our next door neighbour worked at Kingstons and got me them.

Yes loved my bikes and still do.

I was in a café in Inverness the other day and they have four bikes on a stand near the ceiling. An MV single (Guess at about 500cc early 60s?) and MV Agusta racing bike, A Honda CB750 four from the 70s and a Honda 90 (Bike not moped) from the 60s

70d0f53a-67a2-4da4-85f2-4d932064dccc.jpg

This was not on my wall, but this battered old mirror hung above my G-Parents Hearth In Chatsworth Avenue, Carlton. It was a Wedding Gift.

When G-Ma passed away, it would have been thrown away. So I asked for it. I saw that mirror all through my childhood. It was and is,part of my past.When I look at it, I try to imagine the things this mirror has witnessed. I see my Dad and siblings growing up. In their Teens, his sisters putting on make up. Dad and his Bro's getting ready for a night on the Razzle...Blacks Head, Tavern, Chesterfield etc, I imagine the War Years. Dad coming and going in his Navy Uniform. He married Mam, and lived there. She too would have used the mirror for Dolling Up. I imagine me and my sister, both born there, being held up to the mirror! I see my G-Dads spinster Sister sitting beneath it, by the fire. In all of her 4ft 10in glory. Hair net on, Fag in hand, always a lovely smile, with her one remaining tooth sticking out like a mini tusk. Beautiful! I have touched the mirror up with Enamel Paint over the years. Sadly bits have dropped off and been Vacuumed up. I will never part with it, as it is a reminder of the life I left behind and I cherish what comes into my mind every time I look at it! It is not just a mirror. But a Life Story.

• Upvote 8

Mam and Dad had a large picture of some Famous bridge in Amsterdam on one Wall above the fire. Directly opposite, there was a Giant Portrait of me and my Three Sisters taken for an Anniversary Present. We all were sporting the 1980s "Big Perm". The problem was...because we didn't get together very often, it was Party time the night before the Portrait was taken. You have never seen Four Gels so Hung Over. Not a good Idea! Mam loved it! :biggrin:

• Upvote 2