Anyone remeber PAR Electronics? I think they were at the corner of Talbot and Wollaton St. just down from Canning Circus. I worked there from 1963 to Dec 64 when I moved to Australia.

Does anyone know what became of the company?

• 11 months later...

Amazingly enough I knew the Managing Director, whose name I think was Nick Hopwood. He was a friend of my Father's. I'm pretty sure he lived in Burton Joyce or Lowdham. I'm thinking back to the late fifties and early sixties. Have no idea what happened to the company as I left Nottingham around 1963.

I vaguely knew a Nick Hopwood who lived next door to my school pal in Burton Joyce in the early 60s .He must have been the son though, as he was a similar age to us but lost touch when he went to university (I think)

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

I started work there as an aprentice in 1955 as a toolmaker, Eric Wood was a director, as was Reg Stockton The toolroom forman was Johnny Lyons, my chargehand was Jack Thompson who later went on to be a teacher at the People College. The toolmakers were Fred Miller, Tom Wilson, Ricky ?, the Tin Bashers were Eddie Levandowsky, Ted Levandowski (brothers) and Joe Slon who were all ex raf air crew who stayed after the war. Tony Cooke lived very local and was also an apprentice, Later, Tony Sinfield, who's mum worked in the press shop, came as a lad. Jon the welder was from Hungary. Margaret ? was a machinist and really old school.

Eddie ? ran the wiring shop, Mick Lawrence, George Spray and George Stubbs, Derek Cartwright, were electronics guys.

Marlene ? worked in the office, I fancied her but she didn't want to know the 16 year old grubby toolmaker !

There were many more who I cannot recall at the moment. I would dearly like to hear of anyone still around, I am now 75 so we have probably lost a few along the way. Barry Wilson.

• Upvote 2

Sorry I forgot to add that I left in 1961 to go to Pressac in Long Eaton where I lived, I recall that when PAR closed many of the staff went to Aerial Pressings on Wollaton Rd ? in Beeston. Eric Wood and Reg Stockton went to Parrys at Draycott I think.

I remember that PAR stood for Precision And Reliability, however it was known in house a Pi**ing About & Relaxation. I forgot Monica in the press shop (who could forget Monica ! ) along with Rose ( Fred Millers "friend" ) Jack ? was the press shop foreman, Jack was one of the nicest guys you could ever meet.

In writing this other names come to mind, Chick Wheelhouse, did he later set up Wheelhouse Cars ?, Fred Farmer who took over after Johnny Lyons got fired and then got fired himself, Old Bill the Irish labourer, Ron Fletcher was our turner, Tony ? was the storeman. I could tell you many stories of my six years there, it was hard work at 15years old I started at 8am having cycled from Long Eaton, 12.30 till 1.15 was lunch, 5.30 to 5.45 for tea and finish at 8pm to ride back home, summer and winter, I did get two nights off to go to College from 7 till 9. my basic week was 48 hours plus overtime which was compulsory. Most weeks it was 56 hours plus College 4 hours. 60 hours a week plus the cycling time of an hour a day. Not once during those 6 years did I feel exploited, cos' everone else was doing the same.

So now a working week is 37 hours if you can find a full time job ! No wonder production is falling, todays worker don't know what work is but it didn't do us any harm and we could afford to become house owners at 21 years old.

I hope this gets picked up by someone, bye for now Barry Wilson

• Upvote 5

In writing this other names come to mind, Chick Wheelhouse, did he later set up Wheelhouse Cars ?,

Yes, he did. Somewhere up near Mapperley Top ?

I recall that when PAR closed many of the staff went to Aerial Pressings on Wollaton Rd ? in Beeston.

Aerial Pressings were in this building, Anglo-Scotian Mills. Aerial have now gone and the building has survived and turned into apartments.

wollaton%20road.jpg

Ah! Aerial Pressings and Pressac! They were customers of mine when I was a tech rep for a tool steel company in the 60's. My cycling mate - John Rushton was an apprentice toolmaker, then a draughtsman at Pressac. He emigrated to Oz late 60's.

Enjoyed reading your posts Mrshifta - keep em coming.

I remember Ted Levandowski. I worked with him and Graham Wormleighton. I was a prototype wireman. Derek Cartwright and I were mates.

I left in 1963 to come to Oz. Great memories of PAR and yes, I do remember Monica!