• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Firstly, really enjoying 'Jools' tonight. Ricki Lee Jones is still pretty cool! Among the first songs I recall hearing was 'Little Things Mean a Lot', by Kitty Kallen. I was about 4. Still love it.

When I was eight, or thereabouts, I was playing out on the street one dark night when I hear some nice-sounding music coming loudly from the house across the road. I crept up the path and squatted dow

Hey, and I know a chap who's in the Tribute band. Wonder if it's the same chap whose mother dines weekly with the wife of the chap who I've sat next to on several occasions.

Thanks BW not heard the Hendrix version.

I believe Buddy Miles was Hendrix's drummer.

Surely thats not hendrix doing the vocals?

The Buddy Miles version was chosen by DJ Petal @ the Union Rowing Club around 1970.

• 1 year later...

When I was eight, or thereabouts, I was playing out on the street one dark night when I hear some nice-sounding music coming loudly from the house across the road. I crept up the path and squatted down beneath the window so that I could listen to it. A few years later I heard it again and learned that it was Ravels Bolero. This didn't signal an interest in classical music; that came later; but I have always had a soft-spot for that intoxicating piece.

• Upvote 4

After hearing Chuck Berry singing the original version of Come On which was covered by the Rolling Stones and was the only version I'd heard up to then. I suddenly realised that all these early 60's pop groups were getting their material from elsewhere. Therefore I delved deeper into the blues, and sought out the originals. Willie Dixon, Howlin Wolf, Chuck Berry and Bo Diddley.

• Upvote 1

Ian #11, I agree.

We followed Billy Fury around the venues in the West Mids on his final tour. Being a great fan of his, we weren't disappointed. Though you could tell he was ill, he gave it is all, with his voice wavering only on the high notes. his performances were just what his fans hoped for, and we are so glad we got to see him.

I always enjoyed most music in a general way but the first, (were they called E.P.s?) I bought was Peggy Lee's 'Fever'. She's been my favourite female vocalist ever since.

Ah, Peggy Lee. This is her best. Sixty-three years old and still terrific.

First music i remember hearing was on all my Aunts/Uncles singles of the day 78s' ,Johnnie Ray,Ruby Murray,Frankie Lane and Lita Rosa,even tho they were singles (78s) they were nearly as big as 'Dustbin lids'.That was in the early 50s,then late 50s and early 60s proper 'Pop' began with 'Cliff' Billy Fury,and some great Americans,Ricky Nelson,Paul Anka,Fabian,Jimmy Jones and Emile Ford to name just a few. Then we all had to have a 'Radiogramme'.

Remember them? great big things that matched the Telly and sideboard,posh now, we started buying L.P.s,and drinking wine,as if it was Ale,and when it was time to get romantic,i usually had my head over the sink looking and calling for 'Hughie' lol.

• Upvote 1

first music i heard was on my dads 78s,bill hayley,everley brothers,michael holiday perry como,loads more.I inherited his love of music,i collected records (45s)since i started work at 15 and could buy them,i still have all my records and a jukebox.

Dad was quite strict about what music was played in our house so it was usually classical or slightly better Jim Reeves. Then came 1964 and I bought House of the Rising Sun by the animals.

I managed to play it twice before dad snapped it in half, "We are not having that filthy muck in this house, its about brothels and whores."

The first time I saw Taste with Rory Gallagher was a real eye opener. I'd always liked Beck, Clapton, Page etc, but Rory was something else. It was as if the guitar was part of him. Everything looked so natural...... The ULTIMATE showman.

Part two:danced on stage with chuck, saw Queen in '75 then slept on st.pancras, but has to be seeing stones at Brixton on a "milk crate" stage perform ' rooster' and 'empty heart' only inches away.

• 3 weeks later...

Have to be ruthless here! Dear to my heart it would be seeing Billy Fury not long before his death.

Billy Fury's name and voice sends shivers down my spine to this day.....I just loved him back in the early 60's.......still do....