• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Firstly, really enjoying 'Jools' tonight. Ricki Lee Jones is still pretty cool! Among the first songs I recall hearing was 'Little Things Mean a Lot', by Kitty Kallen. I was about 4. Still love it.

When I was eight, or thereabouts, I was playing out on the street one dark night when I hear some nice-sounding music coming loudly from the house across the road. I crept up the path and squatted dow

Hey, and I know a chap who's in the Tribute band. Wonder if it's the same chap whose mother dines weekly with the wife of the chap who I've sat next to on several occasions.

• 1 month later...

Y'all lost me somewhere about a woman who knows a chap who knows a son of------------LOL Whoever 'e was glad 'e gave yous a tingle. pieinface

You can tell I'm on me laptop tonight I've got smileys. Never have 'em on me Ipad.

I suppose after leaving art college @1979.. I opened up totally to all types of music, working at the Camelot Club,which paid great money (175.00) I went to London once a week to buy records on Hanway st. Notting hill and Chertsey rd..to name a few.I then started making tape compilations for clothes shops and hairdressers, progressed to parties of a "special" nature; I covered all windows and doors with black bin liners and made party goer's stay until I fell asleep!! Two and a half days was my record at a large house on Private Rd.Disoriented boogsters wouldn't know night from day..I'd hit them with Mingus,Chocolate Watch Band,George Jones, Dr.John, Augustus Pablo,Faust and loads of rockabilly!! Magdala rd,the park,Ravenshead and Kirkby bellars were some of my memorable nights..I only drank tea,never learned to roll a 3 skinner and always played requests..stayed away from the ladies and true to the music!!

Firstly, really enjoying 'Jools' tonight. Ricki Lee Jones is still pretty cool!

Among the first songs I recall hearing was 'Little Things Mean a Lot', by Kitty Kallen. I was about 4. Still love it. Her earlier 'swing' output with the Harry James Orch. was ace too.

Throughout the 50s I was fed a diet of such 'pop' as the BBC deigned to play on the 'Light Programme'. I had little access to Radio Luxemburg or the wider music scene.

Buddy Holly died on my 10th birthday.. which sort of locked us together. These days I think Holly is underappreciated. His guitar playing and song writing were both years ahead of their time.

Very early 60s in desperation I got my hands on a wind up portable 78 player and any 78s I could get my hands on. This was, in retrospect, a 'good thing', because I was forced to listen to all sorts of stuff that many of my contemporaries weren't aware of. So I got into 30s jazz, 40s swing, early rock and roll, some classical and even Hawaiian style stuff.

We acquired a 'Dansette Major' record player around 1962. My first single was 'Wanna Be Your Man' by the Stones. First LP was 'R&B At The Marquee' by Alexis Korner's Blues Inc, Next. The Duke in Harlem, by Duke Ellington. Third, The Ray Charles Story, Vols 1 and 2. I still have them all and they all play through, though are showing their age.

Through the High Pavement Jazz Record Club, I was also hearing Brubeck, Miles Davis and lots of other groovy stuff.

I followed the whole Merseybeat and British 'Beat Group' thing, but kept hearing snatches of other stuff in the background which were only revealed fully the first time a friend dragged me down to the Beachcomber and I was hit with a whole new world of stuff. I discovered Stax/Atlantic/Motown and all the other labels which were pushing out the magic stuff that later formed the basis of 'Northern Soul'.

At the same time I was also catching the likes of the original Fleetwood Mac, Jethro Tull, Cream, Hendrix and many others as they started their careers with gigs at the likes of The Beachcomber and the three boat clubs by the Trent.

My love of folk music wasn't started by the likes of Dylan and Baez, though I love both dearly. It started with listening to the legendary BBC 'Radio Ballads', put together by Ewan McColl. (Who I now regard as something of a folk music fascist..) Later I 'got into' Bert Jansch and John Renbourn, and their collaboration with Jaqui McShee et.al in Pentangle.

A year or so later I was DJ ing at the 360 Club, Bulwell, the Carlton Hotel and many other places as part of the 'Magic Roundabout Disc Show'. We had some brilliant times. Dave Pickering, who was a leading light in that whole thing, along with Dave Cartwright and Tony Hay, remain friends after all these years. I regularly meet Dave Pickering at Liverpool Lime Street and we always end up in the Cavern.. getting drunk with assorted members of the Cavern Club Beatles. or other local luminaries. 'Still crazy after all these years..'. :jumping: )

I still can't live without music. I love digging ever deeper into the roots of soul, into Doo Wop, into jazz etc.etc. It's as if I'm trying to catch all the stuff I missed because my Mum thought that food, clothes and getting us through school, were more important investments than record players and stuff. She was right of course.

I even did a bit of singing at the 'Traveller's Rest' Folk Club in St Helens throughout the 70s, I resolutely resisted sticking my finger in my ear, though I had, and retain.. a beard. Sadly, I could never master the guitar. I can get a tune out of a whistle, but that's about my limit.

These days, I'm relaxed about music. You don't need to be 'cool', or 'in', when you're approaching 70. You listen to what you like. I'm listening to everything from Coleman Hawkins, to Roy Orbison, to Hank Williams, to Joni Mitchell, to Lana Del Ray, to Thea Gilmore... etc.,etc.

It's all good.

Col

• Upvote 6

If I've done the posting right, here are two seminal moments in music.

Firstly, possibly one of the earliest 'Doo Wop' hits, from the Riveleers in 1953. Kathy Young in the US. and Billy Fury in the UK, did 'white' versions' around 1960.

https://youtu.be/RFXV1OM1DHg

Joni Mitchell re-defining the whole folk genre. She is so far ahead of her fellow artists on stage . And I've been in love with her since...

https://youtu.be/vLu2-gG68S0

Col

• Upvote 1

Absolutely.

We need musical geniuses.

But those links above are annoying.

On other sites I just need to post the 'share code', or the share code pruned and with [YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE] tags around it.

How do I get vids 'inline' here?

Col

Nice writing DJ,nice to see a fellow ' mosaic of music' man.Hissing of Summer lawns works all day long,Travelling song by Pentangle makes me glad I found it. The cool or the uncool, yep it's bollocks!! Herself can't understand that in half an hour I can go from The Big Three to Lee Konitz to John Holt.

Nice writing DJ,nice to see a fellow ' mosaic of music' man.Hissing of Summer lawns works all day long,Travelling song by Pentangle makes me glad I found it. The cool or the uncool, yep it's bollocks!! Herself can't understand that in half an hour I can go from The Big Three to Lee Konitz to John Holt.

Well thank you people!

TBH, my musical knowledge is pretty limited. Don't ask me about rock bands post 1970, or Punk, or New Wave, (though I don't dimiss them.)

I just have an interest in certain music and its origins.

I was in the Cavern (Liverpool) a couple of years ago drinking with Dave Pickering and Tony Coburn, who is the 'Mc Cartney', of the Cavern Club Beatles, and also a very nice bloke. Tony was surprised to hear that 'It's All Over Now', was not a Stones original.

It's not. It was by the Valentinos, who were pretty much the Womack family.

That set me out on a quest to find who did what and when.

I'd have thought that 'The Last Time', by the Stones, might finally represent one of their own.. but no. It was based on a Gospel song, popularised by the Staple Singers.

Most, if not all, of the big UK 'beat' singles, were originally US songs, and mostly by black artists.

I put together a couple of discs to illustrate the point.

But only last night I found that. 'Make It Easy On Yourself', which I thought was pure Walker Bros., was originally by Jerry Butler. ('For Your Precious Love'/Impressions'. Etc.)

Here: .https://youtu.be/eKERP-GocsI

Nothing new under the Sun..

Col

• 2 weeks later...

There's a better vid of this out there but I couldn't find it.

Anyway, this is probs my first exposure to folk/blues influenced stuff.

This, is the wonderful Elizabeth Cotton, who I found out many years later, wrote the song:

Nope, sorry. It was a black and white version with them all on stage.

I love all sorts of music from rock to skiffle to classical to country. Now I listen to Italian songs and some are fantastic but you never forget your youth and the emotions it brings when you think of your favourite group or singer.

• Upvote 1

Whenever I hear Blackberry Way by The Move I am transported back to school, when the upper hall was being converted to extra class rooms. The carpenter had an apprentice who was really cute and a group of us would hang around trying to catch his eye........

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I first picked up on Folk music in the late 50's. Hearing the likes of Ewan Mc Coll on radio. Later, Dylan, Baez, and Brits such as Anne Briggs,, Jansch, Renbourn et.al.

But I didn't really hear pure Irish Traditional music until I went to the Traveller's Rest Folk Club in St Helens in the 1970s. There, I was totally Gobsmacked by the sheer talent and virtuosity on show. It opened my eyes and ears to some of the most astonishingly affecting music I've ever heard.

I heard what I used to call the 'Liverpool Irish Mafia'. Mick Johnson, Shay Black, Tony Gibbon, and the Coyne family. All awesome musicians.. We had some magical Sunday nights there and none more so than when I heard John Murphy play the pipes, and a slow air called The Blackbird. John still plays and has been a good friend for 40 years. Sadly he doesn't 'do' publicity and I can't find him on youtube, so you'll have to make do with the Bothy Band.... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=328wZ5jo_G8

Add in this 'Irish Western' song from Planxty. 'True Love Knows No Season'.

Gorgeous.

Col