barking and biting

I remember when i was a kid down the meadows being scared of and dodging packs of dogs, does anyone else recall the many breeds of vicious hounds ,Bunbury st seemed to have more than its fair .

Not just dogs ,when i went to my grandmas someone down her yard kept a vicious duck,it was absolutely quackers,robey cottages off bunbury st i think ,dont know if anyone remembers it

On Union Road there was a large detached villa owned by Saxton's, fruit merchants, with a driveway up the side and thankfully a gate at the end, and they owned two enormous (or so they seemed at the time to us) German Shepherds, one was white, and they did not let anyone pass by on the pavement without trying to knock down the gates and making the most awful din. Needless to say, sometimes we went past on purpose just for the adrenaline rush !!

The ones down the meadows werent tethered,always someone getting bit by half feral dogs ,what was even scarier was if you trod in their poo and took it in your house ya mother made the dogs look friendly.

• Upvote 2

When I was at school all the meals were cooked at Players School and the pig bins at the back of the kitchen were always full. At the same time about 10 or 12 local dogs used to hang around to try and raid them for scraps, and often fought with each other. When the new 6th form block was built a kitchen and dining room was added producing tasty meals, This meant both the local pigs and the stray dogs had to go hungry.

I don't remember stray dogs as a kid, but the dogs of the neighbors, including our Boxer, were let out to wander the streets. They always came home again, and all were friendly. You didn't neuter your pets in those days, heaven knows how many half-breed boxers there were in the estate! Totally frowned on nowadays.

• Upvote 1

Katyjay,

You have reminded me of the time we moved to the Phoenix Estate 1959/60.There were so many dogs roaming loose, not necessarily strays. Some people in those days let their dogs out in the morning and they stayed out all day. The big problem was if a Bitch was on Heat all the dogs in the area would follow her and could get aggressive. Many times I wouldn't dare go out because of the dogs, and if I was out and saw them I was terrified. I have had Irish Setters myself and loved every minute we had them, but if I see a dog on its own, I am still afraid. Thankfully we don't see many dogs roaming the streets anymore.

• Upvote 1

The ones down the meadows werent tethered,always someone getting bit by half feral dogs ,what was even scarier was if you trod in their poo and took it in your house ya mother made the dogs look friendly.

I was thinking the other day on hobble around, what's happened to all the 'White' doggy poo deposits?

Then saw two of em between the Chase and Vic centre.

• Upvote 1

I don't remember many people having dogs when I was young, and we certainly didn't because my Mum was not a pet lover and she was the boss.

Not in Nottingham, but 'darn sarf', my husband's family dog would apparently roam around the estate where they lived and pinch people's door mats and bring them back to his home. Old Butch was well known and the neighbours knew where to go to retrieve their mats. I never met this little character as it was before I met my husband but I, and all of you lot, have seen him on the telly ..... he was 'Bullseye' in the 1968 film 'Oliver'.

Talkin' of pets - I feel I must tell you about Pippa. me fat black cat wot I had.

Before I went in to 'City' fer me heart op - she would (At precisely 0445hrs) jump up and claw at me chest to wake me in an effort to get fed - a successful effort mind!

When I got back to the hovel - I was a bit nervous of her doing this - but do you know, she never clawed at me chest again - she opted for head butting me awake instead!

Amazing animal.

She disappeared months ago, never to be seen again - only in my dreams and happy memories.

TTFN

• Upvote 1

I was bitten when running to the shop for a penny sucker on Glapton Road, had to go to Hospital for injections, not impressed. The owner blamed me for running past her dog, it chased bikes & motorbikes as well. They moved so problem solved. (for us) :)

• Upvote 1

A mate of mine ended up in court for biting a police dog, he was accused of assulting a police officer and was sent down for three weeks

Rog

#8 TGC

White doggie doos were produced through the dogs eating bones, I assume that folk don't feed their dogs bones nowadays, ready made meals for them too.

• 6 months later...

As a kid on Amesbury Circus, a younger kid down from us, was terrified of dogs, especially ostastions, as he called alsations. I was the opposite, mam said as a toddler onwards I'd go up to any dog no matter how big, to pet it. I'm still the same nowadays, can't pass a dog or cat without giving it a scratch.

• 4 years later...
On 5 February 2014 at 1:41 PM, darkazana said:

#8 TGC

White doggie doos were produced through the dogs eating bones, I assume that folk don't feed their dogs bones nowadays, ready made meals for them too.

Spotted this morning, Mrs Red said white dog poo comes from white dogs? We used it as chalk when we kids? 

DnSE8PQXsAACjAe.jpg

Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. After 60-odd years I must get this off my chest. I was just a kid and the roads round our way had just been resurfaced with that gritty stuff. We were scraping this grit together and chucking double handfuls in the air then dodging it as it came down.

Then the devil spoke to me.

In the middle of the road was an enormous pile of sloppy dog mess. We carefully covered it and continued playing until a suitable victim appeared in the form of a little 6 or 7 year old kid who we invited to join in, pointing to this large inviting pile of grit. His hands looked like chocolate puddings with currants!

How we laughed (little b******s)!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

We once did similar in a snowball and the pooh melted the snow in the kids hands. His parents were not amused, as he got it all down his school blazer !

Used ot put a bit of pooh on the old type gate latch (the tall entry gates) then press a drawing pin in it, bang like hell on the gate and run around the corner, when the person opened the gate the pin stuck in his thumb,well you know where you put your thumb when you get a thorn or similar in it don't you?

Rog

• Like 1