Hi All

Bit of an appeal for help. Fairly new to the area and have started to do a 'just for fun' bit of research on the locality, which in my case is Sandon St. Specifically, I'm interested in the end near Nottingham Rd, and my ultimate objective is to get the full history of my place (#14) and a more general collection of stories, images etc, which I'll then put all together and post up here for anyone who may be interested to see it.

So far so good. My basic research research runs from c1890 to 1917, when I know the Soar family, previously of #40 moved in. Easily obtainable records beyond his death in 1917 are a bit more tricky. They seemed to have stayed in Nottingham for generations , I wonder if they are still about at all? Anyone know anything beyond this?

Also, I read a post on here a while ago suggesting Sandon St used to be Newcastle St. Anyone know how reliable that is? Searching old records, 2 candidates existed prior to Sandon St in 1894. However, one connected to Parliament St and the other was in the Park, so couldn't verify that theory.

Would also love to hear about any business on the street you may recall, as I can see what looks like a few converted shops now being lived in.

Really appreciate any stories or info anyone can provide. Much thanks!

Steve

Welcome to Nottstalgia Steve. I'm sure you'll end with up quite a bit of information on the subject once the collective brains wake up.

One question though.....

I read a post on here a while ago suggesting Sandon St used to be Newcastle St. Anyone know how reliable that is? Searching old records, 2 candidates existed prior to Sandon St in 1894. However, one connected to Parliament St and the other was in the Park, so couldn't verify that theory.

Can you say where on Nottstalgia you saw that? Looking at old maps, Sandon Street has been called that since at least the 1870s when it was only partially developed, so I doubt it was ever Newcastle Street.

And can you say where the Parliament Street one was? I've had a look but couldn't see anything. And there definitely isn't anything in The Park called Sandon Street.

Hi All.

Cliff-Ton. The theory comes from here, http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4562&hl=sandon#entry103834 . suggesting Sandon used to be Newcastle. Going through the old Wrights directories, 2 Newcastle's existed at the time. One adjoining Parliament St and another listed in the park, so had to rule those 2 out.

Michael - bit of a blank canvas. I'd like to put a bit of meat on the bones of all of those who lived here. I know Ben Soar married Dora, had kids of the same name, and over time, he worked up from clerk, to insurance agent to estate agent. No idea what his kids did as the records freeze up a bit due the 100 year rule.Dora was listed as a school mistress.

Cheers

Steve

Interesting! I'd never previously noticed that earlier Nottstlagia thread you linked to. The person who started it, ralphmills, has never logged on again since the day he posted that. He said.......

I'm researching early mining in Nottingham and I understand that Sandon Street in New Basford was originally called Newcastle Street (it's on the deeds of some of the first houses to be built in that street) and that a colliery known as Newcastle Colliery was active in the first half of the 19th century at the west end of Sandon/Newcastle Street. After the mine was filled in, St Augustine's Church was built on the site of the colliery, but in the mid 20th century it began to subside into the old workings and was demolished in the 1980s

That's a lot of things wrong in one paragraph :cool:

Newcastle Colliery was located on Nuthall Road, Aspley, although maybe its underground workings extended towards Basford (there are people here who will know that).

There has never been a pit at the west end of Sandon Street.

St Augustine's church has been there since at least the 1870s, and Newcastle Colliery - on Nuthall Road - was working until at least the 1960s/70s (others will have a more accurate date).

Unless there was a very early Newcastle Colliery which predated the one we all know about.

I see now your references to The Park and Parliament Street were concerning the Dukes of Newcastle, not the name Sandon. So that one's sorted.

In terms of finding out who lived there after 1917, your best bet is the Electoral Register. You can view this at the Archives or at Central Library's Local Studies section.

Once you have the names of the occupants, you can track family births, marriages and deaths through Ancestry.com, etc., up to fairly recent times.

From the newspaper archives adverts and family announcements regarding 14 Sandon St

Nottinghamshire Guardian

Publication date:Friday 06 April 1877

Article text:"considered the application of Mrs. Soar, the mistress of the infant department at the New Basford School, and had increased her salary from £80 to £85 per annum.

GIRL, about 17, GENERAL SERVANT : good home. —Mrs. Soar, 14, Sandon Street, New Basford, Nottingham.
Grantham Journal
East Midlands, England
06/03/1886
On the 5th inst., at 14, Sandon-street. New Basford, Sarah Underhill, sister of Mrs. D. Soar, and daughter of the late John Underhill, of West Bromwich.
Nottinghamshire Guardian
East Midlands, England
14/01/1893
SOAR. —On January 31st dearly beloved husband of Dora Soar. New Basford, Aged 67
Nottingham Evening Post Publication date:Friday 18 November 1927 SOAR. —On the November, at 14 Sandon-street, Dora, widow the late Benjamin Soar (late HEAD MISTRESS New
Basford Council School). Funeral Basford Cemetery, Saturday.
SINGLE Furnished Flatlet, gas, electricity, included. 10/-.-Apply 14 Sandon-street, Basford.
Nottingham Evening Post
East Midlands, England
25/11/1940
FURNISHED Bed-sitting, kitchenette, business lady, Nottingham-road.—Apply 14 Sandon-street.
Nottingham Evening Post
East Midlands, England
23/03/1942
  • Upvote 3

always thought hp was invented by someone on park rd lenton ash i have or had a lenton times with the story in it

Yes but you have to take out a subscription

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/?gclid=CI2zyN-CtrwCFazHtAod1VQARw

or

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/newspapers

You can sometimes glean some info from the snippets given from your search (without paying ) but the OCR software often gives misleading info so you really need to see the actual article .

the mystery continues. It appears their daughter, DoraM died a Spinster in 1910. The sons future is harder to trace. I've got a death certificate tying in with a probate that has him down Shaftesbury Ave, Notts with a widow 'Dorotht Frances Soar', but cannot find a marraige record, but likely have a son Ben who married Bertha (you couldn't make it up!), but the lack of marraige record riles me.

The other possible path is he married someone called Anne Marie Smith in 1902 in Basford, having a daughter Lilian born Codnor 1904.

@Michael Booth, do you think either of these routes are your ancestors?

That New Basford Council school, I think is one that was on Radford Rd, anyone know what happened to it?

No ones said it yet.......... but why didnt Mr Soar marry someone called DINAH ???????

• Upvote 2

People could call themselves what they wanted as long as there was no intention to defraud. She could have been his partner of course, even if they weren't married. I haven't searched but you mentioned possible children. When were they born, and if late enough, was mothers maiden name given?

I've no kids on that particular path of descendants.It gets a bit messy. Found a potential Dorothy Frances Soar who was born in Notts and died in Chichester. Then I started down an alternative route where an Anne Marie Smith married a Ben Soar in 1902, with a kid along in 1904 - Lilian Mary Soar. It looks like she was farmed out to her uncle in Codnor as per the 1911 census.

However, I stopped pursuing the Anne Marie theory due to the primary evidence of this 'widow' of his at 6 Shakespeare St.

Whilst browsing the papers archive, I also came across a little gem about Sandon St itself. A bit of banter further up decided Sandon st was always so, but this 1880 auction notice throws it back out...

sandon%20is%20newcastle.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t7eaibuaugu0akb/sandon%20is%20newcastle.jpg

Re #23. Yes indeed Ann. Going a bit off topic away from Sandon Street, I discovered that my great great grandfather, John Leonard, having deserted from the 3rd Hussars around 1867, was for ever afterwards extremely wary of either himself or his family getting involved with officialdom. So far as I can trace, his second daughter's birth was never registered at all. He himself alternated between not appearing at all on censuses, and appearing under a pseudonym (usually his mother's maiden surname of Simpson) - and with a year of birth a few adrift from the truth. When his first daughter (my great grandmother, born 1864) got married, she did so under the assumed name of Simpson, even though I have a certificate of her birth with the name Leonard. Strangely enough, the second daughter (the "non-existent" one) WAS married in her proper name of Leonard. It was a lesson in taking official "facts" with a healthy pinch of salt!