I hoping to look into my family history so thought it a good idea to initially start on here, rather than some of the large sites advertised on TV etc.

Does anyone have any record or information of the Hickling family who I think lived in the Radford area early 20th century.

One name I have is John Henry Hoskins Hickling born (I think) in Radford in 1900.

Theres a John H Hickling in the 1911 census, born 1901 in Radford, and was as schoolboy living at 33 Forest St Hyson Green. Quite a squeeze - there were 8 of them at that address. Still, not much different from some of Radford's current HMOs '-)

Adults George & Fanny, children John Henry, George ,Frank x2, William and Nelly.

i have just had a pm on here from an old friend a kathleen hickling who used to live in netherfield her mum who is comming up to her hundreth birthday lives with kathleen i will ask her if she knows of any conection to this familycarnt remember her dads name.

My son had a childhood sweetheart with the surname Hickling during the early 1980s. She lived on Broxtowe estate with her brother and 3 sisters. They probably had ancestry in Radford. The kids names were Jezzebel, Diana, Jolene, Tammy and Shane. They were a really lovely family.

I also can see John Hickling on the 1911 Census but his father George on earlier census seems to be elusive . If you google John Henry Hoskin Hickling there are a couple of online trees submitted by others but you have to pay to view !

Thank you all for posting this information, it has given me the spark to look into this.

I have found out that John Henry Hoskins Hickling married Kathleen Flowers.

Not sure where the Hoskins came in as I have now been told that John's Father - George - was just plain Hickling.

Not sure that he was just plain , those online trees say his name was George F.H.Hickling .

Would be interesting to find the Hosking connection as I am surrounded by them down here in Cornwall . Its a very popular Cornish surname

There was an old man down the meadows by the name of Hickling he owned 2 houses on Wilford grove, a picture of one of his houses is shown on one of the meadows topics near a post box ,he would have been 90 yrs old in the 60s

• 3 months later...

Thanks for all of this !

I have gathered a little more information since my initial post on this topic.

Hopefully, once I have got this all sorted I will put another post together in the next few days.

Smiffy

• Upvote 1

My Grandma was Marion Hickling before she got married. Her mother and grandmother were both named Millicent Hickling. My Grandma grew up around Sneinton though...

Melissa, did any of your Hickling relations have a son/uncle/ etc called Tom? Ex Royal Marine? Lived near Churchfield Road?

Melissa, looking in my Dictionary of Surnames it mentions the name Vipond with some alternatives i.e. Vipan,Vipont and Vippond with the mention of Robert de Vezpunt, Roger de Vipont and Thomas Vipond. Looking in a book on the History of Nottingham a Robert of Vieuxpont was the Constable of Nottingham Castle in 1207

• Upvote 1

Hicklings of Radford. This is what I have found out so far and it is a bit of a mystery:-

My grandfather was christened John Henry Hoskins Hickling and he was born in 1900.

His fathers name was George Hoskins and I think he lived at 33 Forest St (or perhaps Forester?) Radford, Nottingham.

George Hoskins appears to have married (c1879) an Elizabeth Pidgeon (born Chard Somerset c1862).

Elizabeth's father perhaps moved up to Nottingham from Somerset in search of work? They do not appear to have had any children.

In the meantime a Fanny Hickling appears to have become their Housekeeper.

My grandfather J.H.H.H. had siblings who all had "Hoskins Hickling" as part of their name.

Later George seems to have married Fanny Hickling (the housekeeper) c1915.

But what happened to Elizabeth? Did she also have children with George?

Why was my grandfather (and the others) christened as "Hoskins Hickling" when they were obviously born before George Hoskins married Fanny Hickling in 1915?

I have been unable to trace a death or divorce for Elizabeth Hoskins - nee Pidgeon, anywhere, so it is a bit of a mystery that I have not solved yet.

Smiffy

• Upvote 1

I shall look into that Mercury. There was definitely a Tom on my Grandmas side but not sure on the relation. Will get back to you!

Melissa If it is any help, my uncle Tom Hickling was related to the Milwards of Hyson Green, those were my grandfather, Lawrence Milward, Grandmother Ada, and the various children. They lived on Birkin Avenue in the early 70s but before that they lived close to Randal Street near Radford Road. I think the name of the place was Edsor Grove, but possibly Cliff Ton, the mapmeister could help here in a map of Hyson Green in the 1960s showing the numerous small groves (which could not have traffic on them, they were just brick paved terraced houses facing each other)

• Upvote 1