Here I was just plodding along at the end of my 65th year, very happy with my times tables and never needing anything else. Then along comes Sophie. You know the one. My lovely granddaughter who phoned and said..Nannar, can I come to yours and give you a test!! That is her idea of fun. So all unsuspecting, I answer "of course you can my little Darling". Well she did! and that's when all my beliefs were shattered. What The Eck is Bidmas, when am I going to need it. I did all my sums as she asked and my answers were nothing like hers..That BIDMAS thing again!! "I knew I shouldn't have played truant that last year at school." Perhaps I would have heard of it!" So I told her if I ever need to do a CV for future employment (Not much chance of that, now I'm an Oldie) she can show me again. So I've got this far without it and I'll stick with my Times Tables for now. Is it just me who has never heard of it.? :( :rolleyes: :)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mr Charlesworth, the very thought that such an Eisoptrophobia suffering person as wot I am meself, would lambaste, insinuate or challenge the views, comments, observations, or elucidations of such a p

a charlesworth (#23). You have nothing to apologise for as I knew you were joking, as I'm sure you realise that I was as well.

any colage charlsworth but thet still could not teach me to spell lol

I reckon anyone our age, or dare I say it even slightly younger than you and me, will be totally ignorant of "modern" methods of teaching, but suffice to say that whatever the fashionable systems are, you cannot alter the laws of mathematics. My daughter who is now 40 was taught maths with "modern methods" at the time, and I could not understand WHY they were being taught the way they were, because it just seemed to make the whole thing so much more complicated than the way that you and I and most others of our age grew up with.

To answer your question Carni, I know WHAT Bidmas is, but for the life of me have no idea WHY it exists!!

Logarithms? Can anyone tell me what they were all about?

Do I still need to keep this book of all those tables?

Can you ask Sophie Do I need Logarithms or Antilogs?

Keep the log books! Not only do they baffle kids (like my slide rule), they will be invaluable if we get an unexpected EMP!

• Upvote 1

Mick, surprisingly I found log tables very useful in the days before the advent of calculators, so much so that I even kept my log tables for when I started work and had to make calculations, but I NEVER understood the mysteries of a slide rule!!

I too found log tables very useful ,but hard to clean,can i explain that a slide rule is playground etiquete,logarithms i think they are something musical or related to dance, and a antilog is someone who doesent hug trees,

• Upvote 1

Whe I was at BG, we had to test earth continuity of all cables according to the M&Q Act periodically, as we didn't have an engineer, it was our responsibility to calculate the leakage to earth in insulation tests when the other tests were done, and if they didn't comply with the Act, correct the problems on the spot.

Would have took me hours without a set of log tables...Again pre calculator days.

I have an idea that the word is BODMAS - and its an acromym (yer know what one o' them is don't yer?) Can't remember in what connection it was used, but possibly solving quadratic equations (as we all do from time to time - don't we?) - and it was the sequence in which the various calculations should be done Brackets Of Divide Multiply Add Subtract. So there - now I think I will have to go and have a lie down....

• Upvote 1

Micheal Commo my comments are self critical and i assure you that i did not think you were showing off, and i am often impressed with nostalians knowledge weather found on internet or not.Appoligising again Sorry

• Upvote 1