dont remember them being called t1 balls but we used to go to a boots dance at sherwood rooms just before christmas every year when i worked for boots late sixties early seventies. beeston d10.wellcome to notts talgia

• Upvote 1

The T1 Ball was a semi-formal affair very popular with all employees. It was held, as you say, March/April, which was when the bonuses were distributed. As was usual for the time the senior staff (managers etc) were still ‘segregated’, seniors upstairs, lower echelons downstairs. Integration was not encouraged. But a good time was had by all as they say.

If memory serves, at various times the “Sherwood Rooms” were called “The Astoria Ballroom” and at another time “The Greyfriars”. Can anyone recall the right order and maybe the years. I think it was the “Greyfriars” during the war.

• Upvote 3
  • 1 year later...

Can't agree with you HG. Not everyone has a mercenary intent. I have helped many authors with information that they would otherwise not been able to obtain, and continue to do so. All I hope for is my name in the Acknowledgements. The subject of her story was wide in scope and she would require many inputs from many people to get the feel of the era, the places and the people. I would say that in such circumstances, a remuneration is rarely if ever paid, nor should it be, even though the book is a commercial enterprise.

• Upvote 1

The T1 Ball was a semi-formal affair very popular with all employees. It was held, as you say, March/April, which was when the bonuses were distributed. As was usual for the time the senior staff (managers etc) were still ‘segregated’, seniors upstairs, lower echelons downstairs. Integration was not encouraged. But a good time was had by all as they say.

I worked in the Standards (later Quality Control) Labs in D10 Beeston from 1968-72. It was my second job after leaving school (Forest Fields) in 1966. All the management had to be addressed as Mr, Mrs or Dr by junior staff such as I. There was a holiday student who addressed my boss as Ken rather than Mr Rodgers and that caused a bit of a stir.

I think the canteen /staff shop building at Beeston had an executive restaurant upstairs but I never visited. I think you had to have special permission if you were non management.

When I started in 1968 I was introduced to a nice man called Mr Pegg who had been in the labs for 50 years (I think he went home at night)

So he'd joined the company in 1918! I bet he had some amazing tales to tell but as a silly 18 year old I never took the time to talk with him.

Certainly wish I had looking back.

• 11 months later...
  • 5 years later...

To re-ignite this subject of Boots in days gone by. Rummaging around in the family junk store (The loft) today and in a box that hadn't been opened for years found a Tea strainer and a Coat hanger inscribed with "Boots Cafe".  Any ideas where Boots Cafe may have been?