Worst Television Advert, ever?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Advertising gurus work on the principle of making their offerings memorable to the public. So the more outrageous the better, as far as they're concerned. I wonder if it occurs to them they can be so

The EDF turd. Do they realise they are using a turd to advertise electricity or are they simply saying "Buy your electricity from us and we'lll shit on you" ?!

The worst ever must be the latest bizarre offering from Money Supermaket.com. We've endured the black pimp with his whores, the dimwit going up in space, and the retard riding an elephant through Ne

All of 'em! The best programmes are those recorded so they can be wound through. If watching 'live', we turn off the sound or change channels. It amazes me that they must work or advertizing would not be paid for.

Problems are tomlinson, if stations don't earn advertising revenue, they wouldn't be able to stay in business. Those powerful transmitters "eat" money, fair enough, they do get a contract paying far less per unit than you and I, but it still has to be paid for, as do programming and wages, plus shareholders.

Haven't watched "lamestream" TV in years now, so don't have to put up with advertising or bad adverts.

BUT, on saying that, Cal worthington car adverts had to be the worst...LOL

Can honestly say unless sublime messages have been used I have never bought anything because of an advert, in fact they've had the opposite effect, have gone out my way not to buy certain things! and whilst not an advert as such that pleading and begging for £2 from the multi millionaire Paul O Grady makes me feel sick!

The grey haired multi millionaire Yorkshire prat trying to con poor pensioners into buying insurance instead of putting their cash in a safe long term account.

They don't pay out for two years...pay bugger all if you miss payments....stuff that...and him.

I don't mind any of 'em making money in the ads game,but I do object when they do a 'Vordeman' and try to flog the rip off money lenders.

• Upvote 1

Over here there is a common statement in TV ads that says "nothing works better than...". In which case I agree, and prefer to use nothing - 'cause it works better!

The ultimate in this double-speak was an old Chevrolet commercial which proclaimed "we're not number one for nothing". Which led me to ask, "then what is the reason you are not number one"?

• Upvote 1

If you remember an advert, or noticed it, or it annoyed you....it worked. It was successful. That's all they are after, your attention.

A bad television advert would be one which you've forgotten and so can't remember it to name on this thread.

• Upvote 3

Got to be Wonga, or the LV insurance one where some tw*t keeps singing Dom doobydom doobydom . The windows one which Carni mentions. If I saw this twerp in the street I'd throttle him.

The best is where Tess Daly advertises some hair colouring and says "because you're worth it" . She certainly is !!!!!!!!!

Adverts have got progressively worse since the explosion of channels on satellite TV.

There was a time when television commercials were special and commanded high prices.

I'm sure many of us can remember some of the classic adverts from wayback when like Cadburys Smash, Fiat Cars (with the robots), Tango, Campari etc etc.

Now it seems to be all about people shouting.

Loud 'In Your Face' selling. Get it NOW!!

Whizz bang 4 second adverts for films.

It's just a massive bombardment of the senses. No wonder people are recording things on the HD box and fast forwarding through the ad-breaks.

When commercial television first arrived they were limited to 6 minutes advertising per hour, and each ad had to have a pause in between. Now an advert break can last over 5 minutes - along with trailors for other programmes.

A 1 hour programme on ITV actually only lasts for 46 minutes - and it's going to get worse!

So really, whether an advert on TV is bad or not is a moot point, because people just aren't watching them.

Firms are now trying to force us to see the damned things by invading our internet surfing.

• Upvote 2

So true Bilboro-Lad, but look where John Singleton is today. He has his own advertising agency and is worth millions.

The one I hate most was the Palmolive ad. It is good for your dishes and it's so good for your hands.

But remember the old saying: No one remembers or talks about the good things you do. They only remember and talk about the bad things. This is also true with advertising.

If you asked what are the ads you most like, you will find people may only remember the recent ones..

If you're stuck for something interesting to watch and scroll down through Freeview, it's inevitable that whatever you click on 90% of the time, the adverts will be going through their monotonous routine. We just click away trying to get away from the bloody things, some channels just show the same one's ad infinitum.

We try to stick to the BBC Channels as much as possible to avoid the damn things, we hate them and they just go over our heads.

I recall over the Xmas period, we tried to catch up on the later Harry Potter films we hadn't seen, ridiculous, the adverts appeared at the most sensitive times in the middle of important scenes, no excuse for that, complete b*ll*cks, it completely screwed up the point of watching it.

In the end, we got hold of the last two films on DVD and watched them advert free, the only way of successfully doing it and enjoying the films.

OK, the ridiculous number of mainly crap TV channels need to survive on advertising, but can some knobhead out there be selective with the programming when they choose our fagbreak/snack/toilet trips!

Actually, the worst of all are the ITV football matches. Apart from us having to suffer that moronic Brummie Gimp ( Be a celebrity West Brom fan and you can be a fantastic, if totally lacking in brain cells and knowledge, useless football pundit for ever), the timing of the adverts is beyond belief. Great, the teams come out on to the pitch, everything is all geared up for the kick off, loads of atmosphere, no-ooooo, 'We have to leave it there, back in a moment' says Mr Brain Dead. Back to the football and our build up to the match has been tainted by Dom Diddy f******g Dom, the teams kick off, no wait, they've already done that, never mind, we can look forward to more of this at half time, at least it takes us away from the Black Country Mekon.

• Upvote 2

In the early days of 'commercial tv',there two ad's that thy seemed to play constantly.

You'll wonder where the yellow went,when you brush your teeth with 'Pepsodent'.

'Omo' washes not only clean,not only white,but bright.'Omo' adds bright, bright,brightness.

Even now I cringe at recalling those ad's. A few years later,"Where ever you go,never go without a Capstan".

There were a bunch of crazy commercials years ago,but these were the ones that I remember being so irritable.

They all make me sick! If you turn on the news at lunchtime you get ads for a bunch of ambulance chasing lawyers. If you try to watch the evening news you get ads for various kinds of prescription drugs. "Ask your doctor about,"........well I won't be asking my doctor about anything 'cause I try to stay away from those money grubbing, backside covering amateurs as well. I'd rather see a vet.

ITV has got that loathsome git Adam Crozier at the helm.

In true whizz-kid style he has increased the amount of advertising ridiculously.

After midnight it's all roullete wheels and pin-head presenters saying 'That's amazing!' about some silly piece of crap from JML.

All throughout Freeview we've got those 2 David Bedford lookalikes with 118 118 adverts. They're everywhere!

They must be making a fortune if they can afford to have constant adverts all the time - for, less face it, what used to be 'Directory Enquiries' - a free service.

Meerkats, opera singers.... price comparison websites. Maybe they should have a price comparison website for price comparison websites?

Anything that's likely to be popular on ITV - like football, films, drama's like Downtown Abbey suffers an 'onslaught' of advertising.

Like I said, this just forces people to record things, or not to bother watching at all.

The one 'oasis' seems to be BBC4 which at least has some interesting and 'un-interrupted' programmes from time to time.

• Upvote 1

Agree about BBC4 being about the only channel worth watching, but if you do need to watch any ITV programmes I'd suggest using their online catch-up as it tends not to carry adverts except right at the beginning. As said, an hour programme only lasts 46mins.